The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Nirgilis
Hehehe.. Passed first year chemistry with a pretty good mark :smug:

Which uni?

Welcome! :wavey:

Which uni?
Postgrads, fellow stage 2 students and other chemistry legends.

How the hell do you go about thinking up of a research project for your 3rd year? I want to go to a few of my lecturers with proposals rather than be given a list of things to pick from but I have no clue what I exactly want to research or how to have a look to see any ideas on what I'd like to do. Does anyone have any suggestions?

(I guess it doesn't help that where my interests lie is already a very well researched field; i.e. medicines and/or analysis of) :sigh:
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by chignesh10
Which uni?

University of Warwick. Great place. Highly recommend it :yep:
University of Warwick. Great place. Highly recommend it :yep:

Thanks!
I am going to apply for Chemistry this coming academic year. I need to do more research on universities.
At the moment,
I want to apply to Imperial, UCL and southampton
Do you think I should apply to KCL even though they are starting chem this year? Also, B'ham or Warwick?
Reply 3444
Hi guys does anyone have notes on convergent/linear synthesis based on retrosynthetic analysis?
Just graduated in Chemistry from Warwick and would definitely recommend it - I got a first so I might be a little biased :P

The 3 core text books you need are:
Atkins - Physical Chemistry
Shriver & Atkins - Inorganic Chemistry
Clayden, Greeves, Warren and Wothers - Organic Chemistry

Other books I found useful (and have bought) are:

2 Oxford Primers - Chemical Bonding by Mark I.Winter & Periodicity and the S&P block elements by N.C.Norman

Shapes of Organic Molecules - N.G.Clark
Keynotes in Organic Chemistry - Andrew F.Parsons

If your interested (or just want advice on Chemistry at Warwick) get in touch on [Removed - please use PMs or post here]!

Otherwise good luck in Chemistry :smile:

Mahdi x
(edited 11 years ago)
I'm thinking of buying Atkin's Physical Chemistry and reading at least some of it this summer - opinions of the book?
Original post by Killjoy-
I'm thinking of buying Atkin's Physical Chemistry and reading at least some of it this summer - opinions of the book?

Depends on your course. Our phys chem exam was just a bunch of mathematical equations. All we had to do was learn and apply the formula to the data we were given. Therefore we could get by just learning the equations given to us in lectures. Atkins is good for understanding the theory behind the equations and for learning any qualitative stuff you might have to know. I, personally, opened the book once, found it no good to my cause and didn't open it again :lol:
Depends on your course. Our phys chem exam was just a bunch of mathematical equations. All we had to do was learn and apply the formula to the data we were given. Therefore we could get by just learning the equations given to us in lectures. Atkins is good for understanding the theory behind the equations and for learning any qualitative stuff you might have to know. I, personally, opened the book once, found it no good to my cause and didn't open it again :lol:

Just what I'm looking for :smile: Thanks.
Reply 3449
Our phys chem, on the other hand, expected you to be able to derive just about everything they ever put in front of you. How good Atkins is for that, I'm really not sure, because our tutor seldom if ever considered it to be the best place to look for any particular topic (he was a physicist by training - so we invariably got sent to the physics section of libraries instead).
Thanks!
I am going to apply for Chemistry this coming academic year. I need to do more research on universities.
At the moment,
I want to apply to Imperial, UCL and southampton
Do you think I should apply to KCL even though they are starting chem this year? Also, B'ham or Warwick?

Through the grapevine, they are apparently not taking that many people in the first year back, I'd recommend going to an open day and asking lots of questions...

What about York?

Just go to as many open days and ask lots of questions and get a feel for the departments...
Original post by Idris Dragon
Through the grapevine, they are apparently not taking that many people in the first year back, I'd recommend going to an open day and asking lots of questions...

What about York?

Just go to as many open days and ask lots of questions and get a feel for the departments...

Hey idris dragon,
What do you mean by that first sentence? What are you referring to?
Also wouldn't York be too good to apply to as I am already applying to Imperial, UCL, soton
Hey idris dragon,
What do you mean by that first sentence? What are you referring to?
Also wouldn't York be too good to apply to as I am already applying to Imperial, UCL, soton

Kings, I have heard that they are having a very limited intake for Chemistry in the first years of the re-opened department...

All depends on what grades you are expecting to get (e.g. if you expect AAB or above then why worry about things!) and subjects you are doing, when I applied to York, since I did Physics, Biology and Maths alongside Chemistry I was given an offer of BBB, so take a look at these things in the detail of the prospectuses...
Original post by Idris Dragon
Kings, I have heard that they are having a very limited intake for Chemistry in the first years of the re-opened department...

All depends on what grades you are expecting to get (e.g. if you expect AAB or above then why worry about things!) and subjects you are doing, when I applied to York, since I did Physics, Biology and Maths alongside Chemistry I was given an offer of BBB, so take a look at these things in the detail of the prospectuses...

Yeah, I searched it after which makes me quite reluctant to apply there!

Hmmm, ah ok but you got into oxford! what was your offer?
Also, what sort of chemistry related activities did you mention in your PS?
Hey guys :smile:
I'm trying to join ChemNet but one of the things they asked for under the education section is 'Teacher Name' - why the hell would they want/need to know this? Do they contact said teacher?
Reply 3455
Original post by InadequateJusticex
Hey guys :smile:
I'm trying to join ChemNet but one of the things they asked for under the education section is 'Teacher Name' - why the hell would they want/need to know this? Do they contact said teacher?

I'd guess they need info about your education so that they can confirm you're not just some nutter in a basement trying to make god knows what.
Original post by BJack
I'd guess they need info about your education so that they can confirm you're not just some nutter in a basement trying to make god knows what.

Would they actually contact said teacher? Not that I care or anything I just want to know :tongue:
Original post by InadequateJusticex
Would they actually contact said teacher? Not that I care or anything I just want to know :tongue:

Hey fellow ChemNetter...!
What you planning on doing on chemnet
I have a question. if I do a "chemistry with" degree will I be able to go into industry and not be disadvantaged?
Hey fellow ChemNetter...!
What you planning on doing on chemnet

I'm not part of it yet :tongue: I dunno really. Wbu?

Latest