Study Help needs new mods! 14-04-2014
Post on TSR and win a prize! Find out more... 10-04-2014
    • 27 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Loz17)
    :wavey:

How's the chemical life?
    Your sig gif is too much :rofl:

BOT: Had a careers talk today. Who ever knew there were so many options for a chemist
    • 77 followers

(Original post by Nirgilis)
    Your sig gif is too much :rofl:

BOT: Had a careers talk today. Who ever knew there were so many options for a chemist
    :rofl: cheers me up on days like today

Care to share? I've no idea what I want to do and any career talks we get are all about forensics and what to do now the FSS has been closed
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Quick question guys.. in an IR spectrum, a peak at 1650 would that be C=O or ArC=C ??
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by VanillaTwilight)
    Quick question guys.. in an IR spectrum, a peak at 1650 would that be C=O or ArC=C ??
    Little bit lot for an amide (which is the lowest of the common C=O functional groups). Could possibly be a carbonate ester/carbamate or something similar where there is lots of pi donation into the C=O pi star orbital and hence the C=O bond is weakened quite substantially. That's just a guess mind as I've never seen an IR spectrum of one of those, could be wrong. A little bit high for a C=C stretch though. Do you know what functional groups you've got in your molecule? And do you have any other peaks in that region?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by illusionz)
    Little bit lot for an amide (which is the lowest of the common C=O functional groups). Could possibly be a carbonate ester/carbamate or something similar where there is lots of pi donation into the C=O pi star orbital and hence the C=O bond is weakened quite substantially. That's just a guess mind as I've never seen an IR spectrum of one of those, could be wrong. A little bit high for a C=C stretch though. Do you know what functional groups you've got in your molecule? And do you have any other peaks in that region?
    I eventually figure it out

It was an amine, but the C=O bond was lowered due to conjugation (a bit too low, but it was the only thing that would actually fit the molecular formula!)

Thanks though
    • 12 followers

ReputationRep:
    I introduce myself!

Name: Gregorius alias Kallisto
    Hobbies: reading, art, martial art, sport (mainly martial art ), natural science (physics, biology and chemistry of course)
    Where you live: I live in Germany
    Current Studying level: Studying for my life and an A-level at the moment!
    What you are studying: natural sciences, languages and social sciences - these are my subjects.
    Hero(s): Otto Hahn, because he has discovered the nuclear fission - that's interesting - and both Marie and Pierre Curie who have discovered the radioactivity! Although radioactivity is dangerous, it's an important discovery not only for Energy Production!
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Hey, quick question which hopefully someone can help with, I need to work out mole fractions from a proton NMR spectra, we've been given the integrated areas under the peaks, so I assume it's using that, but we haven't actually been taught how. Thanks
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    hiii all the chemists out there,
    ahh i really need hepl, has anyone come across partition coefficient? anyone know anything about partition coefficient!? rly need help!
    • 27 followers

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys!

Quick thermo question: When dT=0, dU=0. Why is this and is there a mathematical way of proving it? Our lectures give reasons for constant volume and pressure relationships, but not constant temperature . Many thanks!
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Hi, just a few questions...

how does the value of the enthalpy change of solution change as solubility incease?

explain why calcium hydroxide is more soluble in water than magnesium hydroxide?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Hi, just a few questions...

how does the value of the enthalpy change of solution change as solubility incease?

explain why calcium hydroxide is more soluble in water than magnesium hydroxide?
    • 55 followers

ReputationRep:
    anyone willing to help me out on the last C3L6 question?
    • 12 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by volvicstar)
    (...) explain why calcium hydroxide is more soluble in water than magnesium hydroxide?
    Both calcium hydroxide and magnesium hydroxide are solid elements. In terms of the solubility in water, a solid element is more soluble when it has an higher temperature. Calcium hydroxide is soluble by 20 °C (I don't know at the moment what it is in Fahrenheit.) and Magnesium hydroxide is soluble by 18 °C. In related to that calcium hydroxide has a higher mass unit per volume than magnesium hydroxide - 1,7g*l^-1 compared to 9mg*l^-1. That is to say 1,7g per liter solution is soluble in water for example. Solubility increase at high mass unit per volume and decrease at low one. Do you get it?

What did you mean with your first question. I'm sorry, but I'm not an Englishman! I didn't understand you.
    • 12 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Silverland)
    anyone willing to help me out on the last C3L6 question?
    What is C3L6 an element and your problem about that? What can I do for you?
    • 55 followers

ReputationRep:
    ^doesn't matter, I realised there was a separate thread for it
    • 36 followers

ReputationRep:
    WhY so dead?
    • 12 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by boromir9111)
    WhY so dead?
    I have no idea. I think there are not so much chemist in this forum at the moment.
    Are you interesting in chemistry? which doctrine is your favourite? Have you any paragons in chemistry and why?
    • 77 followers

Exams I think. Nuff said.
    • 12 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Loz17)
    Exams I think. Nuff said.
    What a pitty... Is there really not a member who is VERY interesting in chemistry (not only for exams)?
    Is there not a member who want to talk about one? I'm bored...
    • 77 followers

(Original post by Kallisto)
    What a pitty... Is there really not a member who is VERY interesting in chemistry?
    Is there not a member who want to talk about one? I'm bored...
    There's quite a few regulars here who are advanced in various areas of chemistry. They might be around.

Right now, there's no area of chemistry of which I particularly like. I'm interested in medicinal chemistry though.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?

this is what you'll be called on TSR

2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?

never shared and never spammed

3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By completing the slider below you agree to The Student Room's terms & conditions and site rules

2. Slide the button to the right to create your account

Slide to join now Processing…

You don't slide that way? No problem.

Updated: April 6, 2014
Article updates
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.