The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by tree123
do you know what jobs I could go into with a chemistry degree?:P

Margaret Thatcher had a chemistry degree - you could be prime minister!
Reply 3581
If a ionic lattice has more covalent character does it mean it will be more exothermic?
Original post by tree123
If a ionic lattice has more covalent character does it mean it will be more exothermic?

The question makes no sense. What will be more exothermic ?
Reply 3583
Original post by Ari Ben Canaan
The question makes no sense. What will be more exothermic ?

I meant will the lattice enthalpy be more exothermic if it has more covalent character-(i read this on post in another forum but wasn't sure if it was right).
Will a mixture of ethanol and water become more or less dense over time (assuming the mixture is open so air can get to it)?
Original post by JakGrimes
Will a mixture of ethanol and water become more or less dense over time (assuming the mixture is open so air can get to it)?

Ethanol has a lower boiling point. It is also less dense.

You should be able to work it out.
Thought some people on this thread might be interested in the STEP Chemistry papers from 1998 and 2002 :smile:
who you are, what your studying, your age and your hobbies?

Hi everyone, seems a bit late to post, but just thought I'd introduce myself quickly.

Name: For the moment I shall be using my username, shortened to Clari

Studying: Biology, CHEMISTRY :biggrin:, Physics, Mathematics

Hobbies: Mainly reading (whether it be popsci books or classical literature, to magazines and the chemistry world news). I also occasionally dable in origami and play guitar. :smile:
Reply 3588
Hi! I've just discovered this and hope to learn more about chemistry. Today I'm studying at the University of Chemistry in Montevideo, Uruguay!
I have a question about the property of acids. All kinds of chemical compounds which donate protons are called acids. And then the protons were donated in a chemical reaction, it remain a surplus of electrons. Is an acid a chemical substance which consists of negative charge?
Original post by Kallisto
I have a question about the property of acids. All kinds of chemical compounds which donate protons are called acids. And then the protons were donated in a chemical reaction, it remain a surplus of electrons. Is an acid a chemical substance which consists of negative charge?

No. The acid is the molecule which donates the H+. The species remaning after (which has a charge 1 lower than the initial acid) is called the conjugate base.

For dibasic acids, such as sulfuric acid, the HSO4- intermediate is both an acid and a conjugate base.
Original post by illusionz
No. The acid is the molecule which donates the H+. The species remaning after (which has a charge 1 lower than the initial acid) is called the conjugate base.

For dibasic acids, such as sulfuric acid, the HSO4- intermediate is both an acid and a conjugate base.

I see. Whenever an acid donates protons, a conjugate base as reaction product come into being. The other way round a conjugate acid as reaction product come into being whenever a base accepts protons. Am I right?

but is this characteristic the only one? are acids and bases just define as proton donator and proton acceptor?
I see. Whenever an acid donates protons, a conjugate base as reaction product come into being. The other way round a conjugate acid as reaction product come into being whenever a base accepts protons. Am I right?

Yes.

but is this characteristic the only one? are acids and bases just define as proton donator and proton acceptor?

There are several definitions of acids and bases.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Acid%E2%80%93base_reaction#Common_acid.E2.80.93base_theories

As illusionz pointed out, there are quite a few definitions for acids and bases. Worse, there is the terminology and categorisation, organic acids and bases, inorganic acids and bases.

Nonetheless, so far you know of acids and bases in terms of proton donor/acceptor

the lewis acid/base (mostly inorganic) defines acids as electron pair acceptor (eg. electrophile, LUMO) while bases as the electron pair donor (eg. nucleophile, HOMO).
Hey, I was just wondering if I could ask a question about revision. I know this seems quite stupid to ask - but I am finding that revising for university exams (I am studying Chemistry in my first year at Warwick), is so much harder to revise than for A -Levels, GCSEs, etc, which is definitely expected. I was just wondering how you guys, if you are at university, have adapted your revision for your undergrad degree, and if you just generally have any other revision tips?
Thanks! :biggrin:
Original post by LGrosvenor101
Hey, I was just wondering if I could ask a question about revision. I know this seems quite stupid to ask - but I am finding that revising for university exams (I am studying Chemistry in my first year at Warwick), is so much harder to revise than for A -Levels, GCSEs, etc, which is definitely expected. I was just wondering how you guys, if you are at university, have adapted your revision for your undergrad degree, and if you just generally have any other revision tips?
Thanks! :biggrin:

You know you have a Warwick chemist right here you could ask :colone: . (Long time, no speak on that note).

In terms of the exams you have:

Organic: You need to know pretty much everything you've been taught. You will need to know everything you've been taught in term 1 and 2, polymers and introduction to biology is a bit hit and miss. Luckily, you have a choice of questions, so it was glorious when they lumped the biochem and polymers into the same one, so everyone skipped that. Note, they will NOT be doing that again, so make sure you know one of them :biggrin:

Inorganic: Deeth's stuff :yucky: . This will come up. Ruorke's stuff on packing, not so much. You will need to know trends and all the other polava that you learnt.

Physical: Only do the questions sets. You won't need to know any of the theory.

As for learning styles, I tend to write out all of the lecture notes (each set in turn), move on to a different module, the come back to the previous module and do a written and computer summary of no more than 5 pages. Then, when you visit it again, just look at the summary and write out any expansions on that summary that you can think of! :biggrin:

Everyone's different however. For physical, a group of us got together and gave each other questions on the white board to do - in my opinion, that's the most difficult exam to revise for. The others is just remembering rules and trends :h:
Original post by Nirgilis
You know you have a Warwick chemist right here you could ask :colone: . (Long time, no speak on that note).

In terms of the exams you have:

Organic: You need to know pretty much everything you've been taught. You will need to know everything you've been taught in term 1 and 2, polymers and introduction to biology is a bit hit and miss. Luckily, you have a choice of questions, so it was glorious when they lumped the biochem and polymers into the same one, so everyone skipped that. Note, they will NOT be doing that again, so make sure you know one of them :biggrin:

Inorganic: Deeth's stuff :yucky: . This will come up. Ruorke's stuff on packing, not so much. You will need to know trends and all the other polava that you learnt.

Physical: Only do the questions sets. You won't need to know any of the theory.

As for learning styles, I tend to write out all of the lecture notes (each set in turn), move on to a different module, the come back to the previous module and do a written and computer summary of no more than 5 pages. Then, when you visit it again, just look at the summary and write out any expansions on that summary that you can think of! :biggrin:

Everyone's different however. For physical, a group of us got together and gave each other questions on the white board to do - in my opinion, that's the most difficult exam to revise for. The others is just remembering rules and trends :h:

Sorry! I totally forgot! How are you by the way? I'm currently working on inorganic stuff (Rourkes stuff specifically)and 'luckily' enough, Deeth is my inorganic tutor...he goes into way too much depth in the tutorials lol! Organic wise I'm just finding it so hard to remember all the mechanisms! Sooo many, and Clark is my organic tutor as well, so yay! Although I find Greg challis stuff the hardest... :s-smilie: thank you so much for I'm hoping it should be ok... :s-smilie: i hope you are having a good easter! 5 weeks off!! wooo :smile: thanks again for answering by the way! I think I will just keep doing questions for physical...I,

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Analysing proton and carbon NMR for about 10 different complexes, each with 30+ carbons and 35+ hydrogens. Kill me now :frown:
revising for my first year Chem exams and stumbling across this thread, ah the joy :smile:
Hi, please could someone help me out regarding the limestone cycle?
I'm writing out the equations (word and symbol) for the reactions which take place. I know slaked lime,Ca(OH)2 reacts with H20 to give lime water, but what would the symbol equation be? Any help greatly appreciated:top:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Latest