(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by phenomenon.ahmad
Ca(OH)2 solid = slaked lime
Ca(OH)2 aqueous = limewater
Ca(Oh)2 is sparsely soluble in water
Posted from TSR Mobile

Cheers, came up in the exam the other day :redface:

Posted from TSR Mobile
How does one get better at applying their chemistry knowledge (For A level, for now :redface:)
Original post by InadequateJusticex
How does one get better at applying their chemistry knowledge (For A level, for now :redface:)

Are you doing f325?
Original post by chignesh10
Are you doing f325?

yep and f324
Original post by InadequateJusticex
yep and f324

Ah ok , good luck. :smile:
Reply 3606
Hi, I am going to be sitting for Edexcel Chemistry A level examination. I will sit for all 6 units in one sitting. Could anyone recommend me the perfect textbook that would cover all the necessary topics for the 6 units? Your help is greatly appreciated
I have just watched the sitcom 'the big bang theory' and I thought about Sheldon's game of elements. :smile: How about that? I would create a thread in which the members name the elements, based on the characteristics of elements and hints of PSE. Who want to take part?
Hey guys, I just finished my AS levels (woo), and I was planning on starting A2 chemistry (AQA) now during the summer holidays, does anyone have any ideas about how I should go about doing this? I.e, books to buy, YouTube channels, websites that would aid learning?

Thanks!
Hey all! Has anyone done the Cambridge Chemistry Challenge 90 minute written paper?

If so, how did you prepare for it? And do you have any advice?

Many thanks Chemists! :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Having trouble with Physical Chemistry in University. I just couldn't seem to pass anything that involved Physical Chem and I want to be able to get it all in my head by the time I go back. Has anyone got any websites/books that will help me? I've just finished first year Chem, second year starts in October! Much Appreciated!
Original post by iamahtnamas
Having trouble with Physical Chemistry in University. I just couldn't seem to pass anything that involved Physical Chem and I want to be able to get it all in my head by the time I go back. Has anyone got any websites/books that will help me? I've just finished first year Chem, second year starts in October! Much Appreciated!

Atkins physical chemistry is awesome.

Wikipedia is a good site for an overview of most things as well.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Atkins Physical Chemistry is not a bad place to start.

Also take a look at the Oxford Chemistry Primer series, there are about 100 of them covering different topics and they are usually a good place to start. They should have a number of them in any decent university library, but they are usually only ~£20, so if you have a book grant from your university, you might want to get certain ones for yourself.

There isn't website like you get at A-level. You need to use textbooks, e.g. atkins. Post any queries on the chem forum and I'm sure you'll find someone who can help

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Symmetry-Spectroscopy-Introduction-Vibrational-Electronic/dp/048666144X/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1374438650&sr=8-1&keywords=bertolucci+and+harris
If you love chemistry, watch breaking bad.

Anyways what's your favorite branch of chemistry?

Mines organic!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Ari Ben Canaan
The question makes no sense. What will be more exothermic ?

He meant is the lattice enthalpy more exothermic

Posted from TSR Mobile
Can someone teach me about the fulminate ion and fulminated mercury, e.g uses, how its formed, chemical properties...

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by ArcRaman
If you love chemistry, watch breaking bad.

Anyways what's your favorite branch of chemistry?

Mines organic!

Organic chemistry counts to my favorites too, Carbon compounds fascinate me. Apart from that the structure of atoms and their properties are interesting too.
Reply 3619

Chemistry cubed (chemistry^3) might be good. I remember a lot of people in my year using that book to understand the basic concepts. Just be careful about how much you read into the stuff with Atkins though: a lot of it is unnecessary for first year.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Latest