The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Kallisto
Did you mean that this experiment is too dangerous to give it a try? The only harmless experiment which come into my mind is a breeding of flowers by crossing the genes to get hybrids, but this one counts more to an biological experiment than a chemical one in my opinion.

I mean obviously potassium nitrate isn't super dangerous but I wouldn't say it's something young people should be playing with either :tongue:
Original post by Mr Snips
I mean obviously potassium nitrate isn't super dangerous but I wouldn't say it's something young people should be playing with either :tongue:

How about Daniell-like experiment? what young people need is a vessel, water, sodium chloride (salt), a voltage source and two electrodes, namely anode and cathode. Prepare the voltage source and electrodes, give water and sodium chloride to the vessel, take a spoon and stir the substance in vessel (an electrolyte come into being), then dunk the electrodes into the electrolyte. Sodium chloride is solved to sodium and chloride, Hydrogen ions go to the cathode (negative electrode), chloride ions go to the anode (positive electrode). If you made all correct, you get a voltage.

The same principle works, if you take a lemon, but the voltage would be lesser by far. If someone has a lemon tree in the garden, it is an ideal outdoor experiment.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by CurtisDean
Hey everyone, we're all on summer break now (I think). I want to do some sort of experiment at home, using only the resources available to me at home. I have a garden - if that helps.
Does anyone have any suggestions on something I could do?

Secondly, I have written an essay about The science of Fashion, I wanted to take one section of the essay (titled Biological textiles) and turn it into an article to publish on a blog, in a student newspaper, or something alike. Does anyone have any suggestions about how I can achieve this?

Any help is welcomed!

Happy summer! :smile:

KMnO4 and glycerin when mixed spontaneously combust to form a purple flame. Do it outside.
I have a question in terms of complex formation reactions. I'm talking about reactions by which ligands are bound up with a central ion. As it is an reaction which consists of ions (ionic bond), the difference of electronegativity between the reactants must be larger than 1,7. So far, so good. And here is my question now: is it possible that complex formations could reacts with each other? If not, what is the reason?
Original post by Kallisto
I have a question in terms of complex formation reactions. I'm talking about reactions by which ligands are bound up with a central ion. As it is an reaction which consists of ions (ionic bond), the difference of electronegativity between the reactants must be larger than 1,7. So far, so good. And here is my question now: is it possible that complex formations could reacts with each other? If not, what is the reason?

Yes different complexes can react with each other. Redox reactions in water are aqua complexes reacting with each other, for example. There is a large branch of inorganic chemistry which deals with electron transfer, by inner- and outer-sphere mechanisms.

Another possibility is simply ligand exchange.
Reply 3645
So I have this question;
This is an example of a neutralisation reaction;

HCl + NaOH --> NaCl + H2O

''Try to write the balanced symbol equation for the reaction of vinegar with sodium hydroxide''
And it showed me the molecule of vinegar, from which I got that vinegar is C
H3COOH.
I know this is probably super easy, but I'm absolutely terrible with equations - I've tried almost everything and I still couldn't get the equation to be balanced.
I assumed that so far it would be;
CH3COOH + NaOH --> CH3COOHNa + H2O
But in reality I'm completely lost. And I want to take Chem for A level. As if that will happen.

If someone could please help, that would be great.
Thanks.
Original post by jag09
So I have this question;
This is an example of a neutralisation reaction;

HCl + NaOH --> NaCl + H2O

''Try to write the balanced symbol equation for the reaction of vinegar with sodium hydroxide''
And it showed me the molecule of vinegar, from which I got that vinegar is C
H3COOH.
I know this is probably super easy, but I'm absolutely terrible with equations - I've tried almost everything and I still couldn't get the equation to be balanced.
I assumed that so far it would be;
CH3COOH + NaOH --> CH3COOHNa + H2O
But in reality I'm completely lost. And I want to take Chem for A level. As if that will happen.

If someone could please help, that would be great.
Thanks.

CH3COOH + NaOH -> CH3COONa + H2O
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 3647
Original post by mynameisntbobk
CH3COOH + NaOH -> CH3COONa + H2O

That's it? Now I'm embarrassed.

Thanks for the help :smile:
To people already at uni: is it worth getting a laptop for uni? Or would using the university computers be good enough?
Original post by InadequateJusticex
To people already at uni: is it worth getting a laptop for uni? Or would using the university computers be good enough?

Certainly get your own :yep:
Original post by EierVonSatan
Certainly get your own :yep:

Can I ask why? Do we have to type up a lot of lab reports and such? What else do we need it for? :smile:
Can I ask why? Do we have to type up a lot of lab reports and such? What else do we need it for? :smile:

There's the primary ability of just being able to sit in the comfort of your own room and doing your own research. As you progress you'll need a few NMR programs too.

It will vary where you go as to how much will need to be computer processed. You will have to type up some reports, but you will also have to type up essay/extended pieces, put together the odd presentation, data analysis for phys chem practicals I even had some online exams. Then you have the convenience of just looking things up everyday stuff at home, checking your emails and having your own space in which to work (it can get stressful). That's not even mentioning final year projects :s-smilie:

You'll probably find that on campus computer resources aren't always available, particularly during the busy periods when you need to use them most :p:

I can't recommend it enough, I don't think I knew anyone who didn't have their own computer in about 8 years of going to university. Laptops are pretty cheap if you don't want all the bells and whistles so it doesn't have to cost you a lot - it's money well spent.
Original post by Ari Ben Canaan
There's the primary ability of just being able to sit in the comfort of your own room and doing your own research. As you progress you'll need a few NMR programs too.

Original post by EierVonSatan
It will vary where you go as to how much will need to be computer processed. You will have to type up some reports, but you will also have to type up essay/extended pieces, put together the odd presentation, data analysis for phys chem practicals I even had some online exams. Then you have the convenience of just looking things up everyday stuff at home, checking your emails and having your own space in which to work (it can get stressful). That's not even mentioning final year projects :s-smilie:

You'll probably find that on campus computer resources aren't always available, particularly during the busy periods when you need to use them most :p:

I can't recommend it enough, I don't think I knew anyone who didn't have their own computer in about 8 years of going to university. Laptops are pretty cheap if you don't want all the bells and whistles so it doesn't have to cost you a lot - it's money well spent.

Thank you so much guys :biggrin:
(edited 10 years ago)
Would you guys say that the programs I would have to use are 'heavy' in the sense that I need a powerful machine to run them? Or could I get away with maybe getting a laptop with so-so specs? :redface:
Reply 3655
Would you guys say that the programs I would have to use are 'heavy' in the sense that I need a powerful machine to run them? Or could I get away with maybe getting a laptop with so-so specs? :redface:

The only program I've needed is Excel.... :s-smilie:
Original post by BJack
The only program I've needed is Excel.... :s-smilie:

haha great :biggrin:

Some of the programs (molecular modelling) are very intensive, and require a very high specced computer to (quickly) do some of the more intensive calculations. However, for these your university should have a computer lab with the software packages installed already, so you can just use those computers instead of having to worry about running it on your own computer.
Original post by Dan1909
Some of the programs (molecular modelling) are very intensive, and require a very high specced computer to (quickly) do some of the more intensive calculations. However, for these your university should have a computer lab with the software packages installed already, so you can just use those computers instead of having to worry about running it on your own computer.

yeah, I was thinking of getting a laptop for research/typing up/small work purposes :smile:
yeah, I was thinking of getting a laptop for research/typing up/small work purposes :smile:

Yeah having a laptop for your personal use is invaluable. For writing up lab reports and coursework you don't want to have to rely on a university computer every time.

Then there's also that the laptop basically doubles as a TV, games console, and speaker system. They're probably the single most important thing I'd advise for people to take to uni.

Latest