The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Hi fellow chemists

I decided to do an EPQ (since I got a D in general studies whoops). I'm thinking to go down the biochemistry route because its slightly more out there than a more traditional branch of chemistry.

I know I want to do it on lipids or proteins - but I need help on how to incorporate an experiment into it all!

Any help is appreciated :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by danny2014
Hi fellow chemists

I decided to do an EPQ (since I got a D in general studies whoops). I'm thinking to go down the biochemistry route because its slightly more out there than a more traditional branch of chemistry.

I know I want to do it on lipids or proteins - but I need help on how to incorporate an experiment into it all!

Any help is appreciated :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

My advice would simply be to speak to one (or a few) of the teachers who are involved in the projects; usually they'll have a range of ideas they can suggest. Or at least they'll be able to point you in the direction of what they know works (and what to avoid), based on previous projects.

It's a very broad area, so finding a balance of something you're interested in, that will make a good project is very important. Once you've got a rough idea of the area, we'll be able to help you out a lot more than we can now probably :smile:.
Original post by Dan1909
My advice would simply be to speak to one (or a few) of the teachers who are involved in the projects; usually they'll have a range of ideas they can suggest. Or at least they'll be able to point you in the direction of what they know works (and what to avoid), based on previous projects.

It's a very broad area, so finding a balance of something you're interested in, that will make a good project is very important. Once you've got a rough idea of the area, we'll be able to help you out a lot more than we can now probably :smile:.

I know that's the difficulty I think! I'm doing some extra reading on biochemistry as a whole to see if anything jumps out at me! I will be sure to let you know when I have a better idea.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hi everyone I'm stuck on this question, A student prepared Magnesium Chloride by adding 2.81g of magnesium carbonate to hydrochloric acid. Chemical equation is

MgCO3 + 2HCL--> MgCl2 + H2O + CO2

Calculate the volume of CO2 gas produced at room temperature and pressure [3 marks]
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Darnell LD97
Hi everyone I'm stuck on this question, A student prepared Magnesium Chloride by adding 2.81g of magnesium carbonate to hydrochloric acid. Chemical equation is

MgCO3 + 2HCL--> MgCl2 + H2O + CO2

Calculate the volume of CO2 gas produced at room temperature and pressure [3 marks]

Convert the mass of MgCO3 to moles first. Then use the molar ratio between MgCO3 and CO2 in the chemical eqn. to determine the no. of moles of CO2 produced.
Hi all, just wondering if someone could help me with this question (question 10)

ImageUploadedByStudent Room1378911670.298075.jpg

Is it...
3,3-diethyl-5-methyl-6-propyloctane?

Thanks! :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by ConnorYates
Hi all, just wondering if someone could help me with this question (question 10)

ImageUploadedByStudent Room1378911670.298075.jpg

Is it...
3,3-diethyl-5-methyl-6-propyloctane?

Thanks! :smile:

Nearly, look again at the numbering :yes:
Is it always worth buying the latest version of chemistry textbooks for uni - or will an older textbook suffice? I read somewhere that sometimes the older versions are slightly better... (not to mention way cheaper!)
Original post by InadequateJusticex
Is it always worth buying the latest version of chemistry textbooks for uni - or will an older textbook suffice? I read somewhere that sometimes the older versions are slightly better... (not to mention way cheaper!)

It's worth taking a look at what your course's notes are based off of. Generally a newer book should be better (not always though!), but if your course is based off of a specific book/edition, or designed to run alongside a specific book/edition, then it's probably a good idea to get that version :smile:.
Original post by Dan1909
It's worth taking a look at what your course's notes are based off of. Generally a newer book should be better (not always though!), but if your course is based off of a specific book/edition, or designed to run alongside a specific book/edition, then it's probably a good idea to get that version :smile:.

How can check what the course's notes are based off of? :smile:

If you want to do it beforehand, you'd need to email whichever lecturer put the module together. However for most courses, they should give you a list of recommended books at the start of the module/year, and then you can just get access to the ones you think you will need.

I guess you're starting uni in a few weeks? If so I'd really say don't worry about getting hold of books now, that will all be dealt with at the start of the year. It'll be a lot easier to do then than it would be now as well, as you can be told specifically what's useful or not :smile:.
Original post by Dan1909
If you want to do it beforehand, you'd need to email whichever lecturer put the module together. However for most courses, they should give you a list of recommended books at the start of the module/year, and then you can just get access to the ones you think you will need.

I guess you're starting uni in a few weeks? If so I'd really say don't worry about getting hold of books now, that will all be dealt with at the start of the year. It'll be a lot easier to do then than it would be now as well, as you can be told specifically what's useful or not :smile:.

Ah ok, thanks! :smile: Yeah freshers starts next next week for me and everyone I've spoken to seems to be buying books...When do you generally start to need the books? the week after freshers (so when proper lectures start)?
Reply 3672

Your faculty website seems to suggest the newest versions of Warren ("Clayden"), Atkins & de Paula, and Shriver & Atkins. But the content of these (with the possible exception of Warren, which I understand has undergone more of an overhaul from 1st to 2nd edition than the more recent Atkins textbooks have) will not have changed much over the last couple of editions. Your biggest frustration with an old edition is likely to be having to look things up in the index (or rifle through the book) rather than being able to follow precise page references given to you in the lecture notes.
Ah ok, thanks! :smile: Yeah freshers starts next next week for me and everyone I've spoken to seems to be buying books...When do you generally start to need the books? the week after freshers (so when proper lectures start)?

Generally the books are most needed when doing coursework, so you definitely won't be needing them urgently for the first few weeks of the course.

But to be honest, a lot of people I know got through their whole degrees only buying a couple of books, obviously it depends on the person. But it's just worth noting that it's not worth getting worried about them :smile:.
Original post by BJack
Your faculty website seems to suggest the newest versions of Warren ("Clayden"), Atkins & de Paula, and Shriver & Atkins. But the content of these (with the possible exception of Warren, which I understand has undergone more of an overhaul from 1st to 2nd edition than the more recent Atkins textbooks have) will not have changed much over the last couple of editions. Your biggest frustration with an old edition is likely to be having to look things up in the index (or rifle through the book) rather than being able to follow precise page references given to you in the lecture notes.

Well, I can get the older versions for about half the price of the new ones so that's why I asked. I guess the only new edition worth getting is the organic one then?

Original post by Dan1909
Generally the books are most needed when doing coursework, so you definitely won't be needing them urgently for the first few weeks of the course.

But to be honest, a lot of people I know got through their whole degrees only buying a couple of books, obviously it depends on the person. But it's just worth noting that it's not worth getting worried about them :smile:.

Ack coursework. Ok, that's a relief. I think I'll buy them when I really need them then. Thanks a lot :smile: (Would rep but tsr isnt letting me since I repped you a while ago..)
Reply 3675
Well, I can get the older versions for about half the price of the new ones so that's why I asked. I guess the only new edition worth getting is the organic one then?

I would still go for an older version of Warren if it's much cheaper. It just means you might need to refer to other texts a bit more often than if you'd got the newer version.
Original post by BJack
I would still go for an older version of Warren if it's much cheaper. It just means you might need to refer to other texts a bit more often than if you'd got the newer version.

The people in my accommodation are all getting the textbooks so if I ever need to I can just borrow it off them anyway, so I guess I'll get the old one! thanks :smile:
Eugh. Going into Year 3 of this degree :erm: . Gonna be a tough one! :tongue:
Original post by Nirgilis
Eugh. Going into Year 3 of this degree :erm: . Gonna be a tough one! :tongue:

be happy...I haven't even started my first year
Original post by chignesh10
be happy...I haven't even started my first year

Hahaha! You have no idea how happy it would make me to be back in first year :tongue: . I LOVE this degree to pieces! :h:

Latest