The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Motorbiker
Find a carbon with four different groups.

Hint, one of the groups is a benzene ring and another is a H.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks!

I thought it was the carbon attached to the benzene ring which gives 4 groups. However, can carbon actually be attached to O (i.e. C-O bond) as one of the groups? I thought that each of the groups must be attached by a C-C bond
Tbh I just completed a degree in chemistry and think memorization is how to do the exams even at a uni level.

There's a finite number of questions they can ask a finite number of ways. Memorise 98% then the stretch and extend questions you just hope for the best.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I guess you're right; what do you mean by stretch and extend Q? The AQA ones?
Original post by ps1265A
Thanks!

I thought it was the carbon attached to the benzene ring which gives 4 groups. However, can carbon actually be attached to O (i.e. C-O bond) as one of the groups? I thought that each of the groups must be attached by a C-C bond

Yea, as long as it's a single bond the carbon can be bonded to anything.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by ps1265A
I guess you're right; what do you mean by stretch and extend Q? The AQA ones?

I think we had extra questions at a level, that were called stretch and extend. They were supposed to be slightly off syllabus but work out able.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Yea, as long as it's a single bond the carbon can be bonded to anything.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks!
Hi guys just wondering if anyone can help. I studied a b-tec at college a few years ago and now i have applied for chemistry at uni 2015 entry. As I didn't study a-level chem. I would like to know what a-level chem books to buy. I know it's AS and A2. Should I go for an AQA or an OCR etc. and which books would you recommend??

Thanks guys

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Ahhteeyah
Hi guys just wondering if anyone can help. I studied a b-tec at college a few years ago and now i have applied for chemistry at uni 2015 entry. As I didn't study a-level chem. I would like to know what a-level chem books to buy. I know it's AS and A2. Should I go for an AQA or an OCR etc. and which books would you recommend??

Thanks guys

Posted from TSR Mobile

Well, any standard A Level textbook should do, tbh.

I'd also recommend this site: http://www.chemguide.co.uk
Original post by ps1265A
Thanks!

You need to realise that each C atom has 4 electrons to share out in terms of bonds. Hence, Carbon can have a maximum of 4 bonds.

Hence, in an ester, the carbonyl carbon is bonded to an oxygen, and two other groups but it has 4 bonds (one double bond and two singles).
I think we had extra questions at a level, that were called stretch and extend. They were supposed to be slightly off syllabus but work out able.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah it's off syllabus. :/

Sadly.
Can someone help me with this question?
d) 0.30 moldm-3 NH4Br (Ka of NH4+ = 5.6 x 10-10 moldm-3)

I'm struggling with the fact that they gave
Ka of NH4+, wouldn't it be more useful if they gave Ka of NH4Br? And how do we use this... Ka of NH4+ = [H+][NH3]/[NH4+]... but how do we figure out conc of NH4+ in the first place?
Original post by ps1265A
Can someone help me with this question?
d) 0.30 moldm-3 NH4Br (Ka of NH4+ = 5.6 x 10-10 moldm-3)

I'm struggling with the fact that they gave
Ka of NH4+, wouldn't it be more useful if they gave Ka of NH4Br? And how do we use this... Ka of NH4+ = [H+][NH3]/[NH4+]... but how do we figure out conc of NH4+ in the first place?

It looks challenging but can you post the full question by taking a photo?

It's because i get confused easily by these symbols. :smile:
This looks like a buffer question hang on...

Wait what's your question in the first place?
Original post by Jacksgap
It looks challenging but can you post the full question by taking a photo?

It's because i get confused easily by these symbols. :smile:

I'm sorry, I wrote this down in class :tongue:
Compound F contains C, H and O only and contains 54.2% oxygen by mass. The molar mass of compound F is 118g per mole. Using this info show that the molecular formula of compound F is C4H6O4. A2 chemistry question

Posted from TSR Mobile
Have I got the structure correct? Thanks

edit: I can't seem to upload the pic just ignore this message
Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by MissMedical
Have I got the structure correct? Thanks

edit: I can't seem to upload the pic just ignore this message
Posted from TSR Mobile

You can describe the structure and the reasons you chose it.

E. G. Butanol, because blah.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Guys can I have some help with question 6 pls. I have done part A but have no clue how to do the rest
anyone have the unofficial markscheme for may 2014 ocr chemistry b salters exam for chemistry for life- F331
In an equilibrium reaction why does the endothermic forward/backward reaction have a lower activation energy compared to the exothermic reaction?
Would anyone be interested in doing a level chemistry revision over skype?
Personally, I find it easier to revise if I have someone to discuss a problem with as if I explain my logic out loud to someone, they can point out where I'm going wrong and vice versa. If anyone would want a revision partner, or just someone to talk chemistry with, inbox me.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Latest