The Student Room Group

Need an Access to HE Course with Biology to study at Bangor - help!

I recently decided that I'd like to pursue my dream of studying animals (in particular, doing a course in Herpetology), and as the only University that does such a course is Bangor, I sent them a message. They said that I do have the necessary requirements; all except biology!
They advised me to do an Access to HE Course that contains Biology.

Ideally, I'd love to be studying at the Uni next September, but as most Access courses start in September and last for a year, I'm wondering whether they'll give me some leniency and perhaps allow me to apply on the basis that I get a good finishing mark/a conditional offer.

Do any of you know of any places where I can study such a course that combines Biology, and is at least 45 credits Level 3 + 15 Level 2 in London?
I currently work during early mornings, so I guess I'd need to see to it that I changed my hours, too.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Original post by jonomurphy3
... Ideally, I'd love to be studying at the Uni next September, but as most Access courses start in September and last for a year, I'm wondering whether they'll give me some leniency and perhaps allow me to apply on the basis that I get a good finishing mark/a conditional offer...

You won't be able to join an Access course part-way through, if that's what you mean. I'm afraid you'll have to apply for university entry in September 2015. Access is really good preparation for university level study though, so it won't be a wasted year. Most FE colleges offer Access courses, so you should be able to find something in your local area. You may even find one that offers the choice of afternoon/evening study only, which would allow you to keep your current hours. Best of luck.
Reply 2
Original post by Schadenfreude65
You won't be able to join an Access course part-way through, if that's what you mean. I'm afraid you'll have to apply for university entry in September 2015. Access is really good preparation for university level study though, so it won't be a wasted year. Most FE colleges offer Access courses, so you should be able to find something in your local area. You may even find one that offers the choice of afternoon/evening study only, which would allow you to keep your current hours. Best of luck.

As in; if I start the Access course this September, would I be able to apply for University on the condition that I achieve a certain grade? Thank you for the positive feedback and advice!
Reply 3
Most science access courses do biology. I'm doing 21 credits in biology and 18 in chemistry.

Most colleges do science access courses and I also live in london and there are quite a few colleges that do this particular course. You can go onto the access to he website and search for a course in London.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
I recently decided that I'd like to pursue my dream of studying animals (in particular, doing a course in Herpetology), and as the only University that does such a course is Bangor, I sent them a message. They said that I do have the necessary requirements; all except biology!

Ideally, I'd love to be studying at the Uni next September, but as most Access courses start in September and last for a year, I'm wondering whether they'll give me some leniency and perhaps allow me to apply on the basis that I get a good finishing mark/a conditional offer.

Do any of you know of any places where I can study such a course that combines Biology, and is at least 45 credits Level 3 + 15 Level 2 in London?
I currently work during early mornings, so I guess I'd need to see to it that I changed my hours, too.

The college I am at in the north east has separate start dates for their human biology course. Lots of people only do this module, not the full access course, because they want to do medical courses (e.g.nursing). The class is four hours per week.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 10 years ago)
As in; if I start the Access course this September, would I be able to apply for University on the condition that I achieve a certain grade? Thank you for the positive feedback and advice!

Yes. If you start Access in September 2014, you can apply to Bangor for September 2015. They will (hopefully) make you a conditional offer dependent on your Access grades. Your college will help you with the application process and provide UCAS with a reference and predicted grades.
Reply 6
Thank you very much! Feeling very motivated now.
Reply 7

I did the traditional access course in college and am about to start in uni, but my bf is doing his online - look at google, make sure the course is supported by QAA. This may be an option for you. He found it cheaper, £900 instead of £3250, and he can do the hours to suit himself more. Worth checking out...
Reply 8
Original post by lelly13
I did the traditional access course in college and am about to start in uni, but my bf is doing his online - look at google, make sure the course is supported by QAA. This may be an option for you. He found it cheaper, £900 instead of £3250, and he can do the hours to suit himself more. Worth checking out...

I am guessing he does it with DLC?
http://www.distancelearningcentre.com/

I am doing it with this provider and they've been excellent and also got conditional offer from uni! Accredited by OpenAwards :smile:

Distance Learning Centre has online access courses with Biology, you can start whenever you want because it's all online. So if you start before May then you can get into Uni for next year with an extra 3 months than those starting in September.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending