The Student Room Group

Raf girlfriend

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Officers gfs is completely different from blokes'. Not even the same dimension. It can be a lot of hats and wine.

Let's just say my girlfriend (at the time) turned up to my passing out parade stinking, stoned and dressed like an extra from The Wire.
Original post by Technicolourem
So, they could possibly attend events during initial officer training or not? I was so excited! :frown:

My answer was based on your question about the summer ball, so I answered only with the stn summer ball in mind.

Partners/family will ofcourse be invited to things like Grad but there are few other events like that during IOT, certainly not as many as Sandhurst seem to have.
Original post by Old_Simon
Ah but Sandhurst has way more class than the RAF lol :wink:

Not if their product uses 'lol' it doesn't.

Did you ever go to the RAF College Cranwell? It certainly has more than enough class to match anything at Sandhurst. Having spent a little time at both, I found the Sandhurst cadets to be dour, very unsociable to non-Sandhurst types and most of the buildings well-polished and buffed but not well maintained.
Perhaps a bit OTT. If it is a Summer Ball, you'll be running around, on dodgems, all sorts of activities, so something that long would cause you real problems. You would also need something to cover your shoulders with whilst eating - a shawl, wrap, jacket etc. A split to the top of the thigh might also be a bit excessive. Your boyfriend should get proper advice so that you don't turn up improperly dressed.
More than anything else, make sure the dress suits you and fits you properly.
Reply 25
I was told (although, this was from my dad who was in the Navy years ago) that there are loads of events during training. Don't see why they wouldn't be invited if they are there and there is an event! I'm looking forward to getting some amazing dresses!

From my time on IOT a few years ago there were 2 occasions during the course that partners could be invited for, not including the grad ball at the end.

What you've got to bear in mind Emma is that if you dress inappropriately your partner will most likely be the one that gets in trouble, not you. The mess manager/staff are within their rights to turn you away from any function if they deem you to be improperly dressed.

For an IOT ball play it safe, no splits above the calf, no sheer panels on the midriff/chest area, no excessive cleavage, shoulders covered and no shorter than your ankle.

Posted from TSR Mobile
It would likely be the President of the Mess Committee who would turn anyone away. I've never heard of staff doing it anywhere ever. As the PMC is the man responsible to the Station Commander for standards and deportment in the Mess, getting their attention for the wrong reasons is not a good idea, especially for your boyfriend.
Ssaying that, standards have been pretty shoddy in most messes for years now.
hi, I'm going to a officers raf graduation ball and my dress is to the floor, plain and strapless. will it be a problem that it is strapless do you think? it looks so silly with a jacket!x
Original post by EmilyRachel1
hi, I'm going to a officers raf graduation ball and my dress is to the floor, plain and strapless. will it be a problem that it is strapless do you think? it looks so silly with a jacket!x

Jacket / Shawl / Thingy mandatory at dinner. Plus it can be cold outside on the terrace etc. Best be prepared to look hot but covered up as necessary. You do not one some old Wing Commander too dazzled by your cleavage and naked back at supper lol.
(edited 10 years ago)
Jacket / Shawl / Thingy mandatory at dinner. Plus it can be cold outside on the terrace etc. Best be prepared to look hot but covered up as necessary. You do not one some old Wing Commander too dazzled by your cleavage and naked back at supper lol.

ah right okay, the only thing i have is a blazer so that will have to do :smile:
are you allowed to take it off after dinner for the party bit?
Reply 31

If it's a Grad Ball as in IOT at Cranwell, then there's no formal dinner, it's almost always buffet style. A full jacket isn't necessary, but something to cover the shoulders will be.

If it's another do elsewhere, then ignore me.
Original post by Drewski
If it's a Grad Ball as in IOT at Cranwell, then there's no formal dinner, it's almost always buffet style. A full jacket isn't necessary, but something to cover the shoulders will be.

If it's another do elsewhere, then ignore me.

yes its at cranwell, thanks for the advice! i don't have a scarf/shawl so i will just wear a blazer and then take it off if it feels appropriate to do so :smile: thanks again x
When you've been, will you let me know what everyones dresses were like! :smile:
Reply 34
When you've been, will you let me know what everyones dresses were like! :smile:

Long length, relatively conservative and, if you're particularly bothered about the pictures, something that goes with blue.

will do xx
if i'm honest the dress looks SO much nicer without the jacket and it's not particularly low cut. i might take the jacket just in case but see what everybody else is wearing when we get there xx
if i'm honest the dress looks SO much nicer without the jacket and it's not particularly low cut. i might take the jacket just in case but see what everybody else is wearing when we get there xx

I don't think you're getting the message Emily, you MUST have your shoulders covered in some shape or form.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by teasin_tina
I don't think you're getting the message Emily, you MUST have your shoulders covered in some shape or form.

Posted from TSR Mobile

i'm going to take the jacket like i said :smile:
i'm going to take the jacket like i said :smile:

Just a shawl or something is fine. And I need to say some girls will ignore or won't know the proper form. But at least you won't embarrass your bf.

Quick Reply

Latest