The Student Room Group

Advice to choose firm and insurance: York, Kent, Lboro (English)

Hello everyone :smile:

So I've received all my decisions and I have offers to study English at York and Kent and Publishing and English at Loughborough.

Now I'm having possibly the hardest time deciding which to firm and insure because I like them all for different reasons: York is the most prestigious and is the only Russell Group as well as being in a beautiful city, Kent is where I felt most at home when visiting, and Loughborough has my favourite/perfect course.

I'll give a little more context: I'm applying for English with A*AA predicted grades.

When visiting York, the campus was dated and I didn't like it very much, but I really liked the course as it I can do lots of Film modules. The city of York is beautiful but its the uni that is furthest away from me. This is also the course with the highest entry grades at AAA.

Uni of Kent is an AAB and has a comfortable campus which I really like. The course sounds enjoyable and I've also applied for a 4 year course with Year Abroad. It's also near Canterbury which is equally as pretty as York. Compared to the others however, the prestige isn't great. Kent does have a £2,000 grant a year if I get AAA though which sounds lovely.

Loughborough is the wild card with "Publishing and English" which sounds like my dream course. I was deciding between Graphic Design and Eng Lit for a long time before choosing English, so this course has both elements and really excites me. But the grades are BBB which is significantly lower than I can achieve. The course does have a year in industry and promising employment rates. However, when I visited, the campus was okay, but it had quite a loud and very student-y vibe which isn't really me as well as being in a small and kind of desolate area. The league tables show that Lboro is in the Top 20 but isn't a Russell Group.

So I'm pretty stuck at the moment and would be very grateful is some of you could give any advice to help me clear my head. Does prestige matter a whole lot when it comes to Arts and Humanities? (I plan to go into Publishing, Marketing, PR or Film). If the campus isn't the best, is this something I would quickly get used to? I'm also considering the option of deferring for a year to try and reapply to Cambridge which I got rejected from if I get really good results but I don't know whether this is worth 'wasting' a whole year for?

Sorry this is so long, thank you for sticking around!
(edited 10 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest