The Student Room Group

Medicine - Gap Year.

Hi,

So basically I have 4 rejections...

I'm thinking of having a gap year.

Just wondering anyone else is having a gap year and what are you planning on doing?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by alixeastham
Hi,

So basically I have 4 rejections...

I'm thinking of having a gap year.

Just wondering anyone else is having a gap year and what are you planning on doing?

Posted from TSR Mobile

My vague plan if I have to take a gap year is HCA and swimming coach while maintaining some voluntary work if possible then travel currently thinking au pairing in Australia and finally camp America to end a gap year

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'm on a gap year after 1 pre interview rejection and 3 post interview rejection.
I basically got a job working as A HCA, put more effort in my ukcat, I also attended an interview course which was semi useful. I would say working as a HCA helped me the most as I gained invaluable knowledge and it help me mature and become more confident.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
Original post by babychocolate
I'm on a gap year after 1 pre interview rejection and 3 post interview rejection.
I basically got a job working as A HCA, put more effort in my ukcat, I also attended an interview course which was semi useful. I would say working as a HCA helped me the most as I gained invaluable knowledge and it help me mature and become more confident.

Posted from TSR Mobile

How did you go about getting your HCA job? And how has your application gone this time?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by em.d_4
How did you go about getting your HCA job? And how has your application gone this time?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I applied for a lot of jobs on the nhs website before I got this one so keep trying. This year i've got 1 offer and I'm waiting to hear back from 2 more post interview so hopefully more good news to come

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
Original post by babychocolate
I applied for a lot of jobs on the nhs website before I got this one so keep trying. This year i've got 1 offer and I'm waiting to hear back from 2 more post interview so hopefully more good news to come

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks for the tip :smile: well done and goodluck for the remaining two!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
I had a gap year and now have an offer from my first choice i just have a nornal job in retail and volunteer a lot on a hospital ward so its a nice balance :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by hl7495
I had a gap year and now have an offer from my first choice i just have a nornal job in retail and volunteer a lot on a hospital ward so its a nice balance :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

What did you do differently this time in terms of your application?
Reply 8
Original post by letsbehonest
What did you do differently this time in terms of your application?

I had a better ukcat and ps, applied to my strengths and just enjoyed the interview a lot more

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 9
I took a gap year and re-applied for 2014 entry after getting 4 rejections in the previous cycle. This year I have an offer from Manchester, but was also rejected by the other 3.

I have been working as a HCA since July (break after exams? what break?) and been loving life taking a break from school and sixthform, being filthy rich compared to my poor student friends (whom I go up to see every couple of weeks and go completely wild just because I can) and blowing all my money because this will be the only time I have no responsibilities.

I do however think it is also crucial to mention that taking a gap year + HCA still doesn't mean jack **** if you don't apply to the right places. And sometimes, you can do everything right and still not get in. There are a few people that have reapplied this year that are either on a 2nd gap year, or are considering taking one. I, for example, only just made it into Manchester with a UKCAT sitting on the cut off.

As someone halfway through the year, a bit of advice:
If you do take a gap year, make the most of it for what it is. Don't make it only about reapplying for medicine, make it about other things too because if for some reason you don't get in, you will become bitter and angry that you've "wasted a year".
Also, be prepared more than ever to do another course. You might not get an offer for medicine, but there is nothing more uplifting than knowing you'll be starting university for a course that you love in a place you love no matter how your medical application pans out.

But before all of that: get AAA.
Reply 10
Original post by ameelia22
I took a gap year and re-applied for 2014 entry after getting 4 rejections in the previous cycle. This year I have an offer from Manchester, but was also rejected by the other 3.

I have been working as a HCA since July (break after exams? what break?) and been loving life taking a break from school and sixthform, being filthy rich compared to my poor student friends (whom I go up to see every couple of weeks and go completely wild just because I can) and blowing all my money because this will be the only time I have no responsibilities.

I do however think it is also crucial to mention that taking a gap year + HCA still doesn't mean jack **** if you don't apply to the right places. And sometimes, you can do everything right and still not get in. There are a few people that have reapplied this year that are either on a 2nd gap year, or are considering taking one. I, for example, only just made it into Manchester with a UKCAT sitting on the cut off.

As someone halfway through the year, a bit of advice:
If you do take a gap year, make the most of it for what it is. Don't make it only about reapplying for medicine, make it about other things too because if for some reason you don't get in, you will become bitter and angry that you've "wasted a year".
Also, be prepared more than ever to do another course. You might not get an offer for medicine, but there is nothing more uplifting than knowing you'll be starting university for a course that you love in a place you love no matter how your medical application pans out.

But before all of that: get AAA.

Everything you have said is immensely useful, but how early did you start applying for HCA jobs? Like you got one for july so how many months before? thank you
Annoying thing is I won't be 18 until August -.-

I was thinking to get a normal job and then carry on volunteering and get more work experience.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Esta16
Everything you have said is immensely useful, but how early did you start applying for HCA jobs? Like you got one for july so how many months before? thank you

I started about this time last year and remember having some interviews about August. Bearing in mind the CRB and everything takes a while and they have specific dates you can start on I'm not sure I could have started earlier if I wanted to. Use NHS jobs, perfect the application and then just don't stop applying. I applied to something like 40+ in the end. Be careful how you use the search too though - search for everything under 20k salary and that should show you all the entry level jobs. Don't throw out physiotherapy assistant and phlebotomy and posts like that because those could be just as fabulous! And different trusts can use different titles for "hca". So my old trust would have called me a Healthcare Assistant, but this trust calls me an Auxiliary Nurse but they're both the same thing so try to keep your search as broad as possible.
Reply 13
Original post by letsbehonest
Annoying thing is I won't be 18 until August -.-

I was thinking to get a normal job and then carry on volunteering and get more work experience.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I did this and i got an offer :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 14
I started about this time last year and remember having some interviews about August. Bearing in mind the CRB and everything takes a while and they have specific dates you can start on I'm not sure I could have started earlier if I wanted to. Use NHS jobs, perfect the application and then just don't stop applying. I applied to something like 40+ in the end. Be careful how you use the search too though - search for everything under 20k salary and that should show you all the entry level jobs. Don't throw out physiotherapy assistant and phlebotomy and posts like that because those could be just as fabulous! And different trusts can use different titles for "hca". So my old trust would have called me a Healthcare Assistant, but this trust calls me an Auxiliary Nurse but they're both the same thing so try to keep your search as broad as possible.

Thank you that is very helpful, did you apply for jobs that said permanent even though will only spend max a year there?
Original post by Esta16
Thank you that is very helpful, did you apply for jobs that said permanent even though will only spend max a year there?

Absolutely.
Hi guys,

I've just got my fourth rejection, and whilst I was gutted I think a gap year will be a blessing in disguise. I think ill try and get an HCA job, keep waitressing during the weeks, initiate some volunteering and combine all of that whilst visiting my friends at uni.

Trying to stay positive, will prepare for UKCAT and apply to my strengths this time, and hopefully be more prepared for my interviews than I was last time.

Hope it wont be all to avail :frown:
Reply 17
im sure your hard work and determination will pay off it always does try not to be downhearted and come back fighting
Reply 18

Do you mind telling me what the reason was for the other rejections? was it UKCAT? I'm looking at getting 2 more work experience placements over the summer, possibly going on a gap medics thing too and then reapply after hopefully bossing the UKCAT. Then I'll probably stick with my job at a local sports shop and maybe travel from feb onwards. Do you think I'll need the HCA experience?
Original post by JDJ714
Do you mind telling me what the reason was for the other rejections? was it UKCAT? I'm looking at getting 2 more work experience placements over the summer, possibly going on a gap medics thing too and then reapply after hopefully bossing the UKCAT. Then I'll probably stick with my job at a local sports shop and maybe travel from feb onwards. Do you think I'll need the HCA experience?

No I wasn't rejected because of my UKCAT.

I can't say what it was, sometimes it is just pot luck / personal statement - which is basically highly subjective anyway and therefore prone to luck. You name it, I had the experience in it.

Do I think you need the HCA experience? You don't need anything, some people are testament to that. Some people get in without achieving AAA in the end, other people get in with no more than 2 weeks work experience whatever. Do I think you should work as a HCA anyway? Yes. Not for the sole purpose of aiding your application, but for all the other reasons. Confidence on the ward. To even have the slightest clue who is who, what their responsibilities include, what the ward days are like, how to take basic vital patient observations, a glance into specialities that might interest you, so that you're not a complete idiot the first time you come onto the ward, so you learn what a section 2 is, when it's a section 5 instead and when a SALT referral is needed. There is so much to be learnt when on a ward, soak it up, prepare yourself for your clinical years.

The experience of a HCA is invaluable as a medical student, and perhaps even more so as a doctor. I would argue it even makes you a better doctor.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending