The Student Room Group

~| National Work Program? |~

Here's a solution to get all those dole-spongers, benefits scroungers and downright lazy ne'er-do-wells off of state handouts and make them start doing something productive.

Only a national work program to bring about near full employment will bring our nation our of the abyss.

A national office for the distribution of work similar to Nazi Germany's RAD (no I am not a Nazi, but it was a good idea at the time) will increase productivity in our nation and employ the as of now jobless masses to productive, public sector works including infrastructure, the civil service, public transport, etc.

For those professions that require professionalism, managers would be appointed to train and supervise these individuals for at least a year before they get the job. The government would give all workers the same amount of wages but more than they would be given if they were on benefits, so as to make work more rewarding. The good thing about this is that they will actually be doing something productive.

It shall be compulsory for all those unemployed between the ages of 16 to 60. The government should sign an act into law so as to allow for such a radical revolution in the public sector and economic life of our country. Such a move would eradicate unemployment, raise the prestige of our glorious nation, and invoke and emulate the community spirit that our friends on the left so desperately wish to bring to the fore of the British national psyche.

People on this program would be banned from joining unions so as to offset the threat of strike action. They MUST work, because the state has told them to. And if they are dissatisfied, they can save up the wages they receive to pay for re-education so they can get better jobs in the private sector.

Well? What do you think? Not so bad if I say so myself.
Reply 1
Little ott.
Providing a state-funded minimum-wage work program for those who have a hard time getting work is a reasonable plan, but how would you enforce people to actually take part? It's not reasonable to apply any force in such a situation, especially if there is a good reason behind their unemployment.
Pros and cons of such a programme

pros

1) It should help to encourage those genuinely able bodied to work who have no been trying hard into employment.

Cons

1) If the benefits are viewed as wages then the government would be in breech of employment laws if they pay them less than £6.19 (I think that's current minimum wage, do correct me if I'm wrong) an hour for their work.

2) Those who are temporarily unemployed for a genuine reason such as inability to work through disability or full time caring of a family member would be unfairly pushed into this (unless these people are exempt, but then even more regulations which will cost more money will have to be made)

3) Those who have been declared fit for work by ATOS (not going to get into that debate as that's a whole other can of worms) who are genuinely disabled and unable to work but being forced into job seekers could be seriously at harm from this scheme.

4) This could actually hurt the job market further, by giving all these benefit claimers jobs but not actually paying minimum wage then jobs are being taken away and given to these people instead. The same could happen if the government outsources these workers to companies such as tesco or pound land who may then take on these benefit workers as they are cheaper to "hire" than actual taxpaying employees causing higher unemployment rates.
Original post by The Dictator

Normative and a little (maybe not so little) fascist.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending