The Student Room Group

Hull-York Medical School Offer Holders 2014

Scroll to see replies

Just wanted to double check, are the tuition fees for the 5th year of the Medicine degree paid for by the NHS if your household income falls below £25,000? Thank youuu :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by bluepanda123
Just wanted to double check, are the tuition fees for the 5th year of the Medicine degree paid for by the NHS if your household income falls below £25,000? Thank youuu :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

I was always told that everyone got a NHS bursary if it was their first degree and they were in fifth year. I can't recall quite where I got that information, though.
Original post by bluepanda123

Posted from TSR Mobile

The fees are covered by the NHS after 4th year, they also provide maintenance however its less than student finance would typically offer.
Reply 83
Hey everyone very exciting times!

But on the topic of fees, how much does you're student loan actually cover?
and is it necessary to have savings to meet any shortfall in the fees?
Original post by Mickey2909
I was always told that everyone got a NHS bursary if it was their first degree and they were in fifth year. I can't recall quite where I got that information, though.

Original post by Presidential
The fees are covered by the NHS after 4th year, they also provide maintenance however its less than student finance would typically offer.

Thank youuuu :smile: That's what I read too :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Oh and for anyone who wants more info on student finance and funding I found this website helpful :smile:

http://www.money4medstudents.org/england

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by g.k.galloway
Hellloooo :smile: I'm a school leaver too :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Original post by g.k.galloway
Haha :smile: we can both cower in the corner being scared of their intellectual superiority!!
Nope :smile: I've had two rejections and am yet to hear from Leicester. Yourself?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Original post by AMELIA-x
I am also a school leaver :biggrin:

Original post by jimmymacmog
I'm a school leaver too! :biggrin:

Original post by Lou1228
hahaha i was starting to feel outnumbered too,

Original post by MC9591
haha im also a school leaver but im a reapplicant so got to try get back into the studying mode hahah

any other school leavers?

Original post by Lou1228

School leavers unite! We can crush these scary graduates with our immense naivety and unparalleled inexperience! :biggrin:

And unfortunately I was rejected from all 3 of my others: Sheffield, Liverpool and Manchester (despite being interviewed at Manc). However, you only need one :smile: and my back up of biomed at Newcastle was accepted so I couldn't be happier in truth.
Reply 87
Original post by MC9591
haha im also a school leaver but im a reapplicant so got to try get back into the studying mode hahah

I'm a reapplicant on my gap year so I'm guessing it makes me a school leaver?! *high fives*

Posted from TSR Mobile
Feeling like the odd one out as I'm studying for my A levels ATM xD

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Biggest sis
Feeling like the odd one out as I'm studying for my A levels ATM xD

Posted from TSR Mobile

Don't worry graduates and reapplicants are friendly! There are probably a lot more offer holders studying for their A-levels :smile: I think it's really nice that there will be people from all different backgrounds and ages though! I'm sure we'll all get along really well regardless of being a school leaver, reapplicant or graduate :biggrin: :biggrin:
Reply 90
Original post by blobafet3
School leavers unite! We can crush these scary graduates with our immense naivety and unparalleled inexperience! :biggrin:

And unfortunately I was rejected from all 3 of my others: Sheffield, Liverpool and Manchester (despite being interviewed at Manc). However, you only need one :smile: and my back up of biomed at Newcastle was accepted so I couldn't be happier in truth.

Rejected from Manc after interview as well, odd considering HYMS interview offer ratio is much more competitive! As you said, only need one offer! Currently doing dissertation for biomed at newcastle, been an incredible three years. Top course choices :wink:
Reply 91
Just to add my two cents about graduates and school leavers...from personal experience it is a pretty level playing field in most cases. Some graduates have an advantage when it comes to the hard science (assuming they've done biomed/physiology/anatomy), but because at HYMS the clinical teaching is started from the beginning, everyone is in a similar position :smile: Plus there's all the 'health in society' stuff that people normally won't have covered before (for good reason I might add :wink: ) so let's not have any school leavers coming up feeling inadequate! xD You'll all be amazing I'm sure :biggrin:
Reply 92
Original post by MC9591

I'm also a school-leaver and reapplicant :smile:
Reply 93
Original post by ResaTxxx
I'm also a school-leaver and reapplicant :smile:

same!! nice that there's a few reapplicants
offer holders stats please :biggrin:
Reply 95
Original post by Like_a_Boss

GCSE 4A* 2A 3B
IB 36pts (665hl 666sl +1)
UKCAT 2990 Band 1
Reply 96

Gcses 7A* 4A
AS AAAB (and EPQ A*)
Ukcat 733
A2 predicted A*AA

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 97

GCSE: 3 A* 7A 1B

Achieved A level: ABBb, Biology, Chemistry, Physics, Maths respectively.

UKCAT: 715, Band 2.

Currently on course for a 2.1 in biomedical science but just below the 1st grade boundary so hopefully will push my grade up!

GCSE 6A, 4A*
AAA achieved A Levels in Biology, Chemistry, Maths
UKCAT 735, Band 2

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 99
Anyone still thinking of applying for feedback?

Quick Reply

Latest