The Student Room Group

C4 Integration using standard patterns

http://jonathanb.co.uk/cds/?q=C_4_6_E_2
image.jpgimage.jpg

I need help on part b please.

Reply 1
Use integration by substitution.

cosec^2(2x)cot(2x) is the same as cos(2x)/sin^3(2x).

Let u = sin(2x), then du/dx = 2cos(2x) -> du = 2cos(2x) dx -> 1/2 du = cos(2x) dx.

Then you have to integrate 1/2[u^(-3)] du, which is -u^(-2) / 4, which is -1/4u^2 and in terms of x that's -1/4sin^2(2x).

Which is equivalent to -cosec^2(2x)/4 + C.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by CTArsenal

Let u = sin(2x), then du/dx = cos(2x).

Then you have to integrate [u^(-3)] du, which is -u^(-2) / 2, which is -1/2u^2 and in terms of x that's -1/2sin^2(2x).

Which is equivalent to -cosec^2(2x)/2.

Yeah, but can I know why I went wrong above?
Reply 3
Original post by krisshP
Yeah, but can I know why I went wrong above?

You've got the answer right :smile:

(1+cot^2(2x))/4 is the same as (cosec^2x)/4 using the trig identity of 1+cot^2(2x) = cosec^2(2x); but since the constant can take any value; it's absorbed into the answer. That's why we have different solutions to the actual solution.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 4
You've got the answer right :smile:

But then why is the solution different? They got cot^2(2x) instead of cosec^2(2x):confused:

Edit: it's part b.
Reply 5
Original post by krisshP
But then why is the solution different? They got cot^2(2x) instead of cosec^2(2x):confused:

Edit: it's part b.

See edit above :smile:

The book generally does have some mistakes so don't always believe that they're perfect haha; but both answers are correct in this case.
Reply 6
See edit above :smile:

The book generally does have some mistakes so don't always believe that they're perfect haha; but both answers are correct in this case.

OH YEAH!!!! 1+cot^2(2x) =cosec^2(2x) MAKE SENSE NOW!!!!!!!!:biggrin:

THANKS A LOT!:smile:
Reply 7

Let u = sin(2x), then du/dx = 2cos(2x) -> du = 2cos(2x) dx -> 1/2 du = cos(2x) dx.

Then you have to integrate 1/2[u^(-3)] du, which is -u^(-2) / 4, which is -1/4u^2 and in terms of x that's -1/4sin^2(2x).

Which is equivalent to -cosec^2(2x)/4 + C.

:eek: WOW! It worked as expected! How nice?

Did you decide what u was equal to after realising that cosec^2(2x)cot(2x) is equal to cos(2x)/sin^3(2x)?

Thanks
Reply 8
Original post by krisshP
:eek: WOW! It worked as expected! How nice?

Did you decide what u was equal to after realising that cosec^2(2x)cot(2x) is equal to cos(2x)/sin^3(2x)?

Thanks

I somewhat have a knack for seeing substitutions for integration (if they're possible) haha. I would just say that if you're stuck with a question like that in the exam then just write it out a different way and see if that makes the question any easier :smile:
Reply 9
I somewhat have a knack for seeing substitutions for integration (if they're possible) haha. I would just say that if you're stuck with a question like that in the exam then just write it out a different way and see if that makes the question any easier :smile:

I'm guessing you let u=sin(2x) as then inside the integral you'd then have u raised to integer powers which are easier to deal with. Also, u=sin(2x) differentiates to 2cos(2x) which ends up cancelling quite nicely.

Thanks for that tip.
Reply 10
I

image.jpg

For the last part there (part e) what would you let u be equal to and why?

Thanks

Edit: I let u=cosx and I ended up with -2S (x^2)/(u^3) du.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 11
Original post by krisshP
Edit: I let u=cosx and I ended up with -2S (x^2)/(u^3) du.

You wouldn't be able to integrate that by substitution because of the x^2, I'd do integration by parts, and let 2x^2 = u, and dv/dx = sec^2(x)tan(x).

Integrate sec^2(x)tan(x) using substitution separately, as it's the same as sin(x)/cos^3(x). Then let a variable equal cos x and then integrate. When you get that solution then it's just 2x^2 x (your solution) - the integral of 4x x (your solution), and repeat the process.
Reply 12
Original post by krisshP
Just tried it and didn't go well at all. I did it, but at the bold part things just get so annoying and confused.

You do need 2 iterations of IBP to make the last example work.

This is a skill that you will need to get used to, so I would suggest starting with something a bit simpler like the integral of (x^2)e^x or (x^2)sin x and making sure you can integrate those by parts first (check your answer by differentiating it!!).

Once you're happy with the process then you can try out a more complicated problem like your last example :smile:
Reply 13
Original post by davros

This is a skill that you will need to get used to, so I would suggest starting with something a bit simpler like the integral of (x^2)e^x or (x^2)sin x and making sure you can integrate those by parts first (check your answer by differentiating it!!).

Once you're happy with the process then you can try out a more complicated problem like your last example :smile:

OK, thanks
Reply 14
Original post by davros

Yay done it. It actually did help to go back to simpler ones and then come back to this beast as it made me select u in by parts more appropriately which made it significantly easier!:smile:

THANKS

Quick Reply

Latest