The Student Room Group

Driving with parent

Hello,
My dad has finally got me insured on his car, and is hopefully going to take me out driving this weekend.
Baring in mind that I've never driven a car before, has anyone got any tips or plans for either of us, as we aren't quite sure how we're going to do it.
Thanks

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1
Original post by Mini-Me
Hello,
My dad has finally got me insured on his car, and is hopefully going to take me out driving this weekend.
Baring in mind that I've never driven a car before, has anyone got any tips or plans for either of us, as we aren't quite sure how we're going to do it.
Thanks

Posted from TSR Mobile

Avoid pedestrians :biggrin:

Seriously, try back roads or find somewhere abandoned-ish. I live near a disused scout centre with a massive carpark so I practice there!

Posted from TSR Mobile
I agree with the person above, empty car parks are probably the best way to start.

Practice finding the biting point on the clutch, you can start off with the hand break on, a tiny bit of throttle and then practice lifting off the clutch and feeling the bite and putting it down again.

Practice changing gears, breaking gently and smoothly, using your mirrors (have your dad walk round the car so you get an idea of your blind spots).

Have your dad do some research, there are lots of web resources for parents teaching their kids to drive.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
Go to a large open space, preferably a car park. My dad works in a factory and when I learned to drive, I just went around the car park there. Easy to practice manoeuvres too!
When I was learning there was an industrial estate which was usually empty (we mainly practiced on Sunday though). Here we did 3 point turns and reverse around the corner with ease.

There'll be moments you will want to throttle each other but both should hold your tongues.
Reply 5
If you never been behind a wheel before, then both you and your dad must be mad.. unless you have an empty airfield to practise on. When you say "we" aren't sure, it sounds like the blind leading the blind.

If you're planning to drive on public roads, then you should really get a professional instructor in a dual-controlled car until you're at a standard where you can control a car satisfactorily and consistently alone.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending