The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
To me there are two issues here. One part of prestige vs the better course is employers opinion of it. While it's true they won't tend to know that Sheffield is the best in the country for Russian, there isn't much reputational difference between Sheffield and Edinburgh, as both are good universities.

However the far more important point is that no-one employs your university, they employ you. Whether or not you get the job you want does not depend on your university but on how employable you are. If the Sheffield course is better, then perhaps it will mean you do better, learn more, and become more employable, regardless of any reputational difference.

The most important part of a degree is how it affects you, how much you learn and develop.
Reply 21
This is true for 95% of employers. However top employers eg Foreign Office and investment banks they do only recruit from top 10 universities for most roles. This is for graduates and this employer will only have someone from the following places. They even lower offer if you went to Oxbridge!!!
http://www.canarywharfjobs.com/cands/jobview.asp?v=1835468&c=&f=SearchPhrase=oxbridge&Sort=Date&SortDir=DESC
Reply 22
stupanico
This is true for 95% of employers. However top employers eg Foreign Office and investment banks they do only recruit from top 10 universities for most roles. This is for graduates and this employer will only have someone from the following places. They even lower offer if you went to Oxbridge!!!
http://www.canarywharfjobs.com/cands/jobview.asp?v=1835468&c=&f=SearchPhrase=oxbridge&Sort=Date&SortDir=DESC

Not quite. The FCO recruit from all, but as with many places, have a preference for better places (and better courses). Investment banks only actively recruit from 5 or 6 places, however they accept applications from many. The article you quoted is for a Quant, a very academic position for someone who would already have a PhD in maths or something close to, so it's a very different entrance requirement than the vast majority of IB entrants. IBs look for the best candidates - a brilliant student from Sheffield will stand far more chance than your generic, nothing-special Oxbridge student.
Drogue
Not quite. The FCO recruit from all, but as with many places, have a preference for better places (and better courses). Investment banks only actively recruit from 5 or 6 places, however they accept applications from many. The article you quoted is for a Quant, a very academic position for someone who would already have a PhD in maths or something close to, so it's a very different entrance requirement than the vast majority of IB entrants. IBs look for the best candidates - a brilliant student from Sheffield will stand far more chance than your generic, nothing-special Oxbridge student.

Yes but in the thousands of applications a 2:1 from Oxbridge, LSE, or Imperial to be honest will get a second look over the Sheffield one. I'm not saying that it's right, but don't fool yourselves into thinking that companies don't have a strong preference for certain universities.
shady lane
Yes but in the thousands of applications a 2:1 from Oxbridge, LSE, or Imperial to be honest will get a second look over the Sheffield one. I'm not saying that it's right, but don't fool yourselves into thinking that companies don't have a strong preference for certain universities.

Certain companies, many don't give a toss where you got your degree or even what you studied.
ChemistBoy
Certain companies, many don't give a toss where you got your degree or even what you studied.

It's that propaganda again.

I Know people from second-tier unis at GSK. Massive company.
Reply 26
Massive yes. But Jean Pierre Garnier isnt getting 100 applicants per place is he? Like investment banks.
Investment banks are very concerned about traditional subjects and top universities. Most companies aren't.
stupanico
Massive yes. But Jean Pierre Garnier isnt getting 100 applicants per place is he? Like investment banks.
Investment banks are very concerned about traditional subjects and top universities. Most companies aren't.

If I was an investment bank I'd be bothered about getting people who can do the job, judging by the fact that there are people from outside of the golden triangle working in IB, I'm guessing they do too.
Reply 28
I think it depends on what course you're actually going to do. I don't go to one of the redbricks, and was thinking of transfering to one after my foundation year. But since I'm doing an computing degree, it won't make much of a difference and I'd rather be on a settled course rather than pissing about. However if I was doing business, or english I would transfer since looking at things, it does.
Reply 29
ChemistBoy
If I was an investment bank I'd be bothered about getting people who can do the job, judging by the fact that there are people from outside of the golden triangle working in IB, I'm guessing they do too.

Indeed, you have people from Edinburgh, Notts, Bristol, Warwick, CASS etc
ChemistBoy

Clients like to hear that their bankers went to prestigious universities. Unfortunately that is the reality. And most people who apply to banks from top universities are capable of doing the work, to be honest, so they don't fuss themselves seeking out students from elsewhere. Of course they do look at applications and of course will give someone with excellent academics and work experience from a non-target university a chance.
Edinburgh is clearly the best university in your case. Go to Edinburgh.
shady lane
Clients like to hear that their bankers went to prestigious universities. Unfortunately that is the reality. And most people who apply to banks from top universities are capable of doing the work, to be honest, so they don't fuss themselves seeking out students from elsewhere. Of course they do look at applications and of course will give someone with excellent academics and work experience from a non-target university a chance.

That is not the only reason. Let's be realistic. Students at better universities have to work harder to get a better overall degree classification.

A degree in Maths from a top 10 isn't exactly the same as one from say Bath Spa or Leeds Metropolitan... The courses at better institutions are usually mre challenging.
fonzievision
That is not the only reason. Let's be realistic. Students at better universities have to work harder to get a better overall degree classification.

A degree in Maths from a top 10 isn't exactly the same as one from say Bath Spa or Leeds Metropolitan... The courses at better institutions are usually mre challenging.

I was trying to be diplomatic :p:
Reply 34
If you prefer the look at the course of Sheffield and would prefer to go to Sheffield - then go the Sheffield. There is absolutly no point sacrificing this just because Edinburgh is a few places up in a newspapers league table. You're supposed to enjoy university as well, and if you enjoy it more you should better. Go with Sheffield if you'd prefer to live there and prefer the course. Same goes with Edinburgh.

Latest

Trending

Trending