The Student Room Group

Should I move from Big 4 CF to MM M&A?

Started with Big4 CF 6 months ago - bored and underpaid but the hours are easy (pretty standard 9-5.30).

Just got an offer at a MM bank for M&A.

Which should I choose - remain in my job where I'm bored out of my mind, on 22k per year OR move to IB, start on 50k and work a lot longer hours but potentially do something slightly more intellectually stimulating (when I'm not formatting pitchbooks).
(edited 10 years ago)
Leave if you're that bored!
Original post by whiterabbit-
Started with Big4 CF 6 months ago - bored and underpaid but the hours are easy (pretty standard 9-5.30).

Just got an offer at a MM bank for M&A. My original goal was to end up in S&T which my past internships have been in but I know that M&A is a more reasonable stepping stone to S&T than Big 4 is. Either way, I find the area interesting, it was just the hours that put me off before.

Which should I choose - remain in my job where I'm bored out of my mind, on 22k per year OR move to IB, start on 50k and work a lot longer hours but potentially do something slightly more intellectually stimulating (when I'm not formatting pitchbooks).

Yes, leave if you're sure that is where you want to be and don't look back.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3

Just got an offer at a MM bank for M&A. My original goal was to end up in S&T which my past internships have been in but I know that M&A is a more reasonable stepping stone to S&T than Big 4 is. Either way, I find the area interesting, it was just the hours that put me off before.

Hi buddy,

First of all, don't expect to be able to move from IBD to S&T. They are not related in any way and it is extremely difficult to make the move. Sure you might network with those working in the front office, but it is a completely different path. It is not unheard of...a few at the BB make that move, but then again you haven't been offered a BB position.

Secondly, it's a no brainer. Get out of the Big 4 as soon as you can. Experience at an investment bank is viewed much better than at big 4. You will be at an advantage in that you will be working on deals, which you don't get at the accountancy firms. Also, consider the modelling etc..

It's an extremely competitive field, and will be hard to persuade the recruiters that you're "dream and aspirations" were to work in S&T. (Especially considering you worked at Big 4 and then M&A at MM). Doesn't make sense..
Reply 4
Original post by unreconciled
is this regional CF? if so, do you mind mentioning whether its England regional (e.g. Manchester, Birmingham, Bristol etc) or Scotland regional (Glasgow, Aberdeen, Edinburgh etc).

either way, yes. especially if you're not on ACA atm.

England regional. I am on ACA though.
Reply 5
England regional. I am on ACA though.

Unless you are 100% sure that you wish to do M&A for the rest of your career, I would stick it out for the ACA. It is a very valuable qualification to have especially if gained with CF experience.

The pay will be obviously a lot better at an MM bank, but don't expect the work to me much more intellectually stimulating and expect the hours and stress to be double what you are doing now. It may sound like a worthwhile move for the pay, but you will start to regret your decision when you are in the office at 3am on a Saturday formatting a 100 page pitch book...
(edited 10 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending