The Student Room Group

some questons about the RAF

hi so im 15yr old (16 this year) female and wanting to join the RAF after my exams. I have wanted to join for about 2 years now and have been looking up as much info as I can. but there is still some things I cant find or don't know much about.

1) Do females have to wear skirt when in the blue uniform or for parades or can we wear trousers?
2)what are he showers like in basic training,is it 1 bathroom with 1 shower or a room with several showers.
3)are the math and English tests hard im expected to get c' s in all my subject exams.

thank you if you can help answer these questions :smile:
Reply 1
It's great to hear that you are interested in joining the RAF

1. All information on female uniform and dress codes for all ranks of the RAF can be found here: http://www.raf.mod.uk/rafcms/mediafiles/96465EB3_9EE7_557C_8313FF829E1713C6.pdf

2. The accommodation at basic training is also quite basic so you should expect a room with multiple cubical showers.

3. Maths and English are included in the Verbal Reasoning and Numerical Reasoning part of the Selection Test. It is only GCSE-level questions and is pretty easy. The time limit is what makes the test hard as it's all about working under pressure. If you have recently done GCSE's and have a basic understanding then you will be fine.

If you have any further questions, I'd be happy to try and answer them!
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 2
Are you thinking of tryin to join as officer, or straight from school as an airwoman?

Posted from TSR Mobile
I don't know the rules for basic training, but you get the choice of trousers or skirt in the 'real' RAF.

You need to be comfortable with communal showers and being naked in front of others. The sports facilities after PT are communal showers and so is some of the accommodation. You will also be in shared rooms for training.
This gets more important should you deploy as part of your job. You NEED to be able to live very closely with others for periods of time and that includes eating, washing, sleeping, working.

The tests are hard for some and easier for others, the same as any exam or test. Some people get A's, some get C's, some fail.

Quick Reply

Latest