The Student Room Group
University of Sussex
University of Sussex
Brighton

Sussex Uni Freshers 2014

I have just been told I have an unconditional offer from Sussex uni, meaning im definitely going there in september..
anyone else been lucky enough to have this happen?
and anyone deffo keen to start there this year?!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by rachelmolly
I have just been told I have an unconditional offer from Sussex uni, meaning im definitely going there in september..
anyone else been lucky enough to have this happen?
and anyone deffo keen to start there this year?!

Yeah I just accepted my unconditional for psychology! Originally my offer was AAB, which I probably would not have got ha
University of Sussex
University of Sussex
Brighton
I didn't get an unconditional like you guys, but I have firmed my conditional offer for chemistry and I am majorly excited to ""hopefully"" start in September!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
Got my unconditional for chemistry in early February, joya of a gap year :smile: then firmed the week before last so will definitely be there in September :smile: not sure on accommodation yet though. I don't think the emails have been sent out yet, or at least I haven't been sent one.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 4
I have an unconditional for Maths with a FY :biggrin: I firmed them about a month ago, before I'd even visited the university! I'm glad I did though because when I visited I loved it :smile: What accommodation is everyone choosing? And does anyone know what the freshers events have been like for the past few years? :smile:
Original post by 03hope03
I have an unconditional for Maths with a FY :biggrin: I firmed them about a month ago, before I'd even visited the university! I'm glad I did though because when I visited I loved it :smile: What accommodation is everyone choosing? And does anyone know what the freshers events have been like for the past few years? :smile:

I've got an unconditional for English Lit and accommodation wise I'm torn between Northfield and Swanborough at the moment. I think for Freshers week there's usually a party type thing on Brighton pier which sounds pretty fun.

Where are you looking at for accommodation?
Reply 6

I'm going to put brighthelm first, then probably lewes court 1 and park houses :smile:
Reply 7
Original post by starryeyes1103
I've got an unconditional for English Lit and accommodation wise I'm torn between Northfield and Swanborough at the moment. I think for Freshers week there's usually a party type thing on Brighton pier which sounds pretty fun.

Where are you looking at for accommodation?

I'm also torn between Swanborough and Northfield. I didn't get to see Swanborough when I visited so I'm struggling to choose! Have you seen both?
I think either Lewes 1 or Brighthelm is going to be my first choice. My friend stayed at Brighthelm when he was at Sussex and he said it was really great and social.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'm also torn between Swanborough and Northfield. I didn't get to see Swanborough when I visited so I'm struggling to choose! Have you seen both?

I managed to look at both and facilities wise they're pretty much identical - Northfield might feel a bit less worn/used just because it's newer but there's virtually no difference in the layout and rooms. Swanborough is really really central like everybody says (the Co-op is right outside) and it's a bit of a hike to Northfield (about ten minutes) though I was wondering if that could be a good thing? Maybe it would be nice to be able to get away from where everything is happening at times? It's so hard to choose between them!
Original post by Andinet
Hi, I'm a first year in Northfield this year, and thought I'd share my experience.

You're right about Northfield being almost brand new, Swanborough has a bit of wear but it's still really good. From speaking to other people in my year, it is the most sought after (Swanborough) due to the central location. I put Swanborough as my first choice, but got Northfield. Swanborough does get a bit of noise due to parties, etc. However you're going to get this mostly everywhere you go. Northfield is quieter as there are some family flats near the back, so in that sense yes it is sometimes nicer to get away from the parties (especially when you have a 9am)!

If you have any other questions just ask :smile:

Andy

Hi Andy, I'm torn between Northfield and Lewes Court 2, I think Northfield looks nicer but which would you say is more sociable? Thanks :smile:
Original post by Andinet
Both have good social spaces, but from my experience of living in Northfield (and going to friends' places in Lewes Court 2), I'd say Lewes Court 2 is more sociable.
Northfield has a merged Kitchen/living whereas Lewes Court 2 has them separated (Still one space though). I think the LC2 setup is better, although it's personal preference I guess :rolleyes:

Andy

But surely if it's merged isn't that more sociable as there's more people? or not. Also how many people are there in a flat in north field compared to LC2? thanks so much :smile:
Original post by Andinet
Hi, I'm a first year in Northfield this year, and thought I'd share my experience.

You're right about Northfield being almost brand new, Swanborough has a bit of wear but it's still really good. From speaking to other people in my year, it is the most sought after (Swanborough) due to the central location. I put Swanborough as my first choice, but got Northfield. Swanborough does get a bit of noise due to parties, etc. However you're going to get this mostly everywhere you go. Northfield is quieter as there are some family flats near the back, so in that sense yes it is sometimes nicer to get away from the parties (especially when you have a 9am)!

If you have any other questions just ask :smile:

Andy

Thanks for your insight, it's interesting to hear what people actually at Sussex think rather than just my imagined speculations. Overall, are you glad you're in Northfield or would you have preferred to be in Swanborough still?
Reply 13
Since this is the Freshers post, I thought I'd put this here that I found, just to give people the sense of Freshers Week at Sussex lol, it's last year's schedule

http://www.sussexstudent.com/files/minisites/53463/fresherswhatsonguide2013.pdf
Reply 14
Officially a Sussex fresher! Just firmed my unconditional for Politics and International Relations (:

anyone else for P&IR here?
Reply 15
Hey everyone. I work for the Students' Union at Sussex and we're all looking forward to meeting you in September - only 160 days left - itsalmo.st/#thestartoffreshersweek

We want to make sure the information we give you is as useful as possible so feel free to reply to let me know what you want to know before you get to Sussex.

We'll be updating the info at www.sussexstudent.com/freshers as it gets closer so let me know what we should add.

We won't be publishing this year's event details until the middle of August to give us time to get everything organised and confirmed so I can't give you those before then sorry!

Jo
Reply 16
Original post by SussexJo
Hey everyone. I work for the Students' Union at Sussex and we're all looking forward to meeting you in September - only 160 days left - itsalmo.st/#thestartoffreshersweek

We want to make sure the information we give you is as useful as possible so feel free to reply to let me know what you want to know before you get to Sussex.

We'll be updating the info at www.sussexstudent.com/freshers as it gets closer so let me know what we should add.

We won't be publishing this year's event details until the middle of August to give us time to get everything organised and confirmed so I can't give you those before then sorry!

Jo

Hi! I was wondering, do you know what day the Freshers have to arrive? I'm trying to plan my summer travelling and work, and I need to know what date I have to be back by or have quit work by! Thanks
Reply 17
Hi! I was wondering, do you know what day the Freshers have to arrive? I'm trying to plan my summer travelling and work, and I need to know what date I have to be back by or have quit work by! Thanks

Everything kicks off on Saturday 13th September. If you're living in University accommodation they expect you to arrive on 13th or 14th

Term dates are here - http://www.sussex.ac.uk/aboutus/keydates

Jo
Reply 18
Original post by skd1996
I've firmed for 2014 entry! Doing Geography and International Relations! Anyone else doing this? What accommodation is everyone applying to?

I'm doing Politics and International Relations! (:

I'm aplying for Swanborough, Northfield and Lewes Court 2, mainly because I want an ensuite (yes, I am an hyperorganized person ahahah). Swanborough is my first because it's quite central on campus <3
Reply 19
Original post by skd1996
We might see each other around then! :smile:
I haven't actually seen any of the accommodation unfortunately, but obviously I need to make a decision on it soon! I want somewhere that has a decent social life (really important to me)- but I like the idea of having my own ensuit rather than sharing! What accomodation is good for this?

I haven't seen them either, because I'm international. But take a look at the official accomodation thread here at TSR http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=376240 plus the accomodation link at sussex.ac.uk. Maybe it'll help you out!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending