The Student Room Group

Help!! I don't understand my psychology essay

So basically, I'm writing a social psych essay and this is the question…

The social psychology of this century reveals a major lesson: often it is not so much the kind of person a man is as the kind of situation in which he finds himself that determines how he will act." (Milgram, 1974). Discuss in relation to Milgram’s work on obedience to authority.

My lecturer has asked us to be very opinionated throughout and so I decided to take the dispositional side of debate and argue that personality can predict obedience more than situational (society) can.

But…. I'm reaaaaaaally confused with the structure of my essay!! I have lots of studies for my personality debate that include religious orientation, internal/external personalities, social intelligence, etc to back my point up but
1) I don't know whether or not I should also find studies to back up my situational debate ?
2) Do I have to relate these points directly to factors within milgrams situational explanation or situational side in general ?

Any replies will be greatly appreciated!! I am honestly so annoyed at how little information to the structure is given!! :frown:
I'd do both. You definitely need research on situational factors so that you can use it as a comparison, and it offers more ways to show critical analysis i.e. by pointing out the strengths and flaws in environmentally focused studies as well as personality focused. The question asks you to discuss in relation to Milgram's work, so I'd link that in all the way through. Personally, I'd structure this essay by starting out with explaining situational research and Milgram's study and explaining the issues with it, which would lead into why personality factors should also be considered etc...hope that helps!
Reply 2
Original post by tuly92

The social psychology of this century reveals a major lesson: often it is not so much the kind of person a man is as the kind of situation in which he finds himself that determines how he will act." (Milgram, 1974). Discuss in relation to Milgram’s work on obedience to authority.

My lecturer has asked us to be very opinionated throughout and so I decided to take the dispositional side of debate and argue that personality can predict obedience more than situational (society) can.

But…. I'm reaaaaaaally confused with the structure of my essay!! I have lots of studies for my personality debate that include religious orientation, internal/external personalities, social intelligence, etc to back my point up but
1) I don't know whether or not I should also find studies to back up my situational debate ?
2) Do I have to relate these points directly to factors within milgrams situational explanation or situational side in general ?

Any replies will be greatly appreciated!! I am honestly so annoyed at how little information to the structure is given!! :frown:

Have you come across this? http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b03k0s5v

It was on Radio 4 in December - looking again to check whether Millgram's analysis of his results was valid.
Original post by tuly92

Para 1) Dispositional factors appear to influence behaviour. So you could mention traits such as personality and show how they are stable and predictive of various things

Para 2) Environmental factors ALSO influence behaviour. HOWEVER, there have been lots of new papers trying to replicate Milgram that you should mention. Also there might be other things you could mention.

Para 3) INTERACTIONS BETWEEN THE TWO. Personality PREDICTS the kinds of situitions people find themselves in. So if you've got a extraverted personality then you're going to put yourself in situitions that match your personality.
Is this psychology AS?!

Quick Reply

Latest