The Student Room Group

primary teacher training/traditional degree/ education BA - primary teacher help!!!

I am definitely wanting to be a primary teacher in the future, but not sure how to get there degree-wise. I am currently taking AS Levels in History, English literature and language, Religious Studies and Media, but planning to drop media at the end of the school year. I'm aiming for AAB-ABB in the remaining subjects, and taking up AS sociology instead for a year. I'm planning to do a teaching assistant, long distance qualification through my sixth form too because I help out in classes voluntarily already.

I've done a week of work experience at the primary school that I attended in January, and have helped out in after school clubs as well.. Mainly because if I was to apply for a straight teaching degree, it would be a massive help.

The degree I'm looking at is the Primary Initial Teacher Training at Worcester, (http://www.worcester.ac.uk/courses/p...n-ba-hons.html), but I don't know if I should rather do a degree in another subject (Either English lit or a joint degree in sociology and philosophy at Birmingham - I'm undecided on that one!) and do a PGCE? I've heard that they are becoming extremely difficult to get on to now though, which is why I'm leaning towards the straight, three year teaching degree at worcester.

Additionally, I've been looking at several universities and they offer Education BA degrees.. are they the same as teaching? As you can see, I'M SO CONFUSED! are they worth taking rather than the teaching degree at worcester?

My main aim is to be teaching asap at primary level.. which is the best route?
Reply 1
Original post by wassupitstillie
I am definitely wanting to be a primary teacher in the future, but not sure how to get there degree-wise. I am currently taking AS Levels in History, English literature and language, Religious Studies and Media, but planning to drop media at the end of the school year. I'm aiming for AAB-ABB in the remaining subjects, and taking up AS sociology instead for a year. I'm planning to do a teaching assistant, long distance qualification through my sixth form too because I help out in classes voluntarily already.

I've done a week of work experience at the primary school that I attended in January, and have helped out in after school clubs as well.. Mainly because if I was to apply for a straight teaching degree, it would be a massive help.

The degree I'm looking at is the Primary Initial Teacher Training at Worcester, (http://www.worcester.ac.uk/courses/p...n-ba-hons.html), but I don't know if I should rather do a degree in another subject (Either English lit or a joint degree in sociology and philosophy at Birmingham - I'm undecided on that one!) and do a PGCE? I've heard that they are becoming extremely difficult to get on to now though, which is why I'm leaning towards the straight, three year teaching degree at worcester.

Additionally, I've been looking at several universities and they offer Education BA degrees.. are they the same as teaching? As you can see, I'M SO CONFUSED! are they worth taking rather than the teaching degree at worcester?

My main aim is to be teaching asap at primary level.. which is the best route?

If you're sure that you want to be a primary school teacher then take the degree option, not the PGCE option. You will get a lot more experience and it won't be as intense.
An Education BA is all about the theory and issues in Education, it does not qualify you to teach. When you're looking at degrees, they need to award you (or recommend you for) QTS - Qualified Teacher Status - to qualify you to teach. So look for that when you're researching.
(edited 10 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending