The Student Room Group

is sex drive socially constructed?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
On average, men do have a higher sex drive than women, apparently.
There's also the fact that it is more "socially acceptable" for men to express their high sex drive than for women to do so.
Add to this the fact that it is generally more "socially acceptable" for men to have multiple partners than for women to do so, and you have what may or may not be a real difference being exagerated by attitudes in society.

Although I do expect that the average man has a higher sex drive than the average women, I think the difference is probably smaller than most people think. The main difference is in the attitudes of men and women towards sex, which have been largely shaped by society, although that is beginning to change to be more even between the sexes. I think it's probably also true to say that many women would be perfectly happy to satisfy their desires themselves, whilst many men would prefer to find a woman to satisfy them.
Original post by andy3000
the difference is i can back my statements (studies, historical data, surveys, empirical evidence, experiments, science etc) while 99% of the time feminists/social engineers only have their personal opinions and insults by their side. there are maybe 1-2 feminists on this forum you can reason with and i'm probably being generous. which post are you referring to, what's the number? or pls quote.

Depending on the subject matter, I've seen a number of feminists who back up their statements. And similarly anti-feminists who resort to insults from the off.
Original post by Huskaris
Oh just in time for the white knight. Go on bro, maybe you'll get to bang this one! Maybe this one will go for it! Probably not though :-)

How original. :rolleyes:
Reply 63
Original post by BeanofJelly
I think it's both - there will be innate factors reliant on the different hormonal profiles of men and women. But it is also obvious that there are many social factors which influence the way that men and women express and act upon their sexuality. It's also important to remember that even reasonable generalisations do not apply to every individual.

I don't think modern feminists (speaking as one) have an issue with the notion of men and women potentially being different, even very different in some regards. But this isn't a reason to hold people to different moral standards (eg: a woman's promiscuity is wrong, whereas a man's is right), and it isn't a reason to apply generalisations (which often become exaggerated to the extent they are not even true on the whole) to an individual when they feel they don't fit (eg: you are a woman therefore you don't really like sex, you just use it as a tool, or you are a man therefore you have no emotional depth - two reasonably pervasive attitudes both of which are harmful and offensive to the respective gender/sex). Also oversimplified attitudes about the differences between the sexes is generally a bad thing in terms of actual learning about what makes men and women tick differently (eg: do women have less of a sex drive, or is their sex drive just more subtle, or driven in a different direction, or dependant upon different factors?)

i've already addressed most of this in my other post. of course nothing applies 100% to everyone. and i didn't say all men vs all women. if anything, i believe the highest sex freaks are the tiny % of so called nymphomaniacs, so they're women. i am talking about average joe and jane. and yes, social factors do have an effect on us but it's not decisive and most of the time it seems to be the result of enhancing strong predispositions in men and women that are obvious from very early age. and yes, i believe a lot of women could have a higher sex drive with a partner they love (because they are more invested emotionally in it), but in this thread i was strictly speaking about physical sex drive. and morality of it based of gender is not an issue for me, to each his own.

Original post by BeanofJelly
I think your view that those with perhaps only a slightly different point of view will be unreasonable and impossible to engage with "99%" of the time is really preventing you from learning anything from these discussions, and is a self-fulfilling prophecy. Naturally, projecting your derision for what you perceive as the "other side" (as you have) in this debate is going to bring out the worst, eg, most confrontational and defensive responses.

let me give you a few examples of the most vocal feminists on this forum: one proudly stated how she absolutely hates children, another how she'd try to rob her husband alive during a divorce even if he hadn't done anything wrong because she's a vindictive bitch and doesn't give a **** about fairness... and this is just the stuff i remember. i mean just the other day, i was talking to another one: i asked what's her opinion as a woman on something , so she tells me she's not a woman. so i go check her history since i was pretty sure she was and i find a thread started by her proving she was lying. so i post it, get no reply then some mod deletes my post. then the whole thread gets nuked even though it was a week old or so.

so not only feminists are impossible to reason with, but it seems like TSR is very protective of them. this is what i have to deal with. so please don't say i am on the same level.
Original post by SophiaKeuning
So you have experience of being a man and a woman? Wow.

No? You don't?

Then why are you speaking for women?

And do not use evolutionary theory in the most rudimentary way possible. People on here constantly put 'it's evolutionary theory!' onto the end of their opinion like their backing it up with evidence.

http://www.carlsonmba.umn.edu/Assets/71520.pdf

let me give you a few examples of the most vocal feminists on this forum: one proudly stated how she absolutely hates children, another how she'd try to rob her husband alive during a divorce even if he hadn't done anything wrong because she's a vindictive bitch and doesn't give a **** about fairness... and this is just the stuff i remember. i mean just the other day, i was talking to another one: i asked what's her opinion as a woman on something , so she tells me she's not a woman. so i go check her history since i was pretty sure she was and i find a thread started by her proving she was lying. so i post it, get no reply then some mod deletes my post. then the whole thread gets nuked even though it was a week old or so.

so not only feminists are impossible to reason with, but it seems like TSR is very protective of them. this is what i have to deal with. so please don't say i am on the same level.

The most vocal perhaps, but also the one you choose to focus on. Also the ones who your derisive posts will attract! Because they want to get in a fight with you as much as you clearly want a fight with them.

There are plenty of reasonable, vocal feminists on this forum and my observation is that they are constantly ignored because they don't provide good enough confrontation fodder.

As for "most vocal", may I ask are you familiar with the term "silent majority"? What about the most vocal muslims on this forum? Or atheists? Or "constant relationship difficulty" posters? Do you assume they are representative?

I am not trying to say you are the worst, or that you have invalid opinions, or that you are unintelligent etc. I consider myself a reasonable feminist, by which I mean I am an equalist who takes an interest in gender issues. I would really like to see some actual discussion, I would like to take on board your views and learn from them, as I would like to present my own.

How can engage with you when you direct your posts at extremists? How can I engage with you when you have already made very negative assumptions about me?

How can I extend an olive branch when you only want to be rude, when you make it clear that you are certain of your opinions and unwilling to take anything on. You strike me as being only interested in derision and "winning", not interested in actual discussion - because you've become totally and solely focused on those you disagree with most strongly.

Go ahead, but don't be surprised when those are the only people who engage with you, and don't take that as evidence that they are the only people who exist.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 66
Original post by The Socktor

Well they keep on coming. So many betas on TSR what do you expect me to say, good point?

I concur. The whole 'whiteknighting' thing is bizarre.
Original post by shadowdweller
On average possibly, but it still does vary on an individual basis, which is something people seem to ignore.

That's the case with all group differences. The moment somebody points out an obvious group difference, somebody will misunderstand what is being claimed and say "hey, that doesn't apply to all individuals!". An extreme case would be to say that the claim that Dalmatians are spotty is false, since some Dalmatians must surely be albino.
Original post by felamaslen
That's the case with all group differences. The moment somebody points out an obvious group difference, somebody will misunderstand what is being claimed and say "hey, that doesn't apply to all individuals!". An extreme case would be to say that the claim that Dalmatians are spotty is false, since some Dalmatians must surely be albino.

Oh yeah, I agree. I just don't think people using extremes tend to acknowledge the exceptions.
No, but the tendency to deny it is.
Reply 71
Oh yeah, I agree. I just don't think people using extremes tend to acknowledge the exceptions.

that's the thing, there's nothing extreme about it. men are stronger, taller and faster than women. are those extreme statements? how are they extreme if the occur 90%+ of times?
(edited 10 years ago)
that's the thing, there's nothing extreme about it. men are stronger, taller and faster than women. are those extreme statements? how are they extreme if the occur 90%+ of times?

I apologise, my response wasn't worded well. What I mean to say is to suggest such things are more common is fine, to suggest they are universal is incorrect.
Reply 73
I'm a man but I wouldn't say my sex drive is particularly high.
I concur. The whole 'whiteknighting' thing is bizarre.

Yeah. I find it interesting that they don't seem to apply this logic to straight who call out homophobes (e.g. "you're secretely gay yourself and after sex with him/her") or white people who call out racists ("you just want to have sex with some black girl").
Yeah. I find it interesting that they don't seem to apply this logic to straight who call out homophobes (e.g. "you're secretely gay yourself and after sex with him/her") or white people who call out racists ("you just want to have sex with some black girl").

Yeah exactly. Like, clearly men can never agree with a woman's point of view without there being some ulterior motive :rolleyes:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending