The Student Room Group

Zero Hour Contract

Hi.
I'm on a zero hour contract in my contract it reads "you have no set hours". So to my knowledge they need to confirm hours with me not just give them..? Because I took two weeks holiday, and I expected them to call me telling me if I had hours the week I was back, but they didn't so I thought I had no hours. Only to be told 90 mins before I was wanted that I had a shift. My boss then phoned me and got really arrogant with me down the phone tellin me she'll give me a warning and a bad reference in the future.. I then gave my notice in writing.. Then to be told, I need to work my two weeks notice.. But notice for what? I have no set hours? Needless to say I don't want to go near the place and will be phoning in sick if they give me any hours.. I feel like I've been treated really badly, but do I have a leg to stand on?!

Thanks for reading!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1
I wouldn't phone in sick every shift you are given, you do want to leave on an ok standing with the boss. That way, they can provide you with a strong reference for other jobs.
Reply 2
It's a zero hours contract, they don't have to offer you hours but on the other hand, you don't have to accept them. If you haven't accepted any hours then you don't need to do them. In terms of references, I wouldn't be expecting anything more than a basic HR reference (confirming your role and when you worked for them) from a company with that attitude towards zero hours workers anyway. Do you have an assistant manager who would give you a personal reference to supplement a basic hr reference?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending