The Student Room Group

Shopping for university.... What's essential?!!

I'm starting university in September & I just wanna know what I should be buying like what's really essential?! I know some is on sense but I don't wanna go there without covering all essential areas. Any help will be golden!!
Reply 1
Here's my list. Some are pretty obvious:

Bed spread and sheets
Pillows
Hangers and clothes
Toiletries (e.g. cleaning products, bleach, toilet paper, etc)
Office supplies (e.g. pens, notebooks, highlighters, folders, etc)
Printer, printer paper and printer ink (makes life a lot easier even if your university has printing facilities)
Pots, pans, kitchen utensils and other kitchen equipment (if you're living in self-catered accommodation and if your accommodation does not provide such stuff)
Reply 2
Water filter was so good for me, since the water of the uni tasted really bad......Take paracetamol just incase, everyone needs that. Bin bags maybe a bin, if you dont have one provided in your room
Reply 3
Also take a small first aid kit with bandages and stuff. Just in case.
The less the better, I bet you will end up getting to the end of the year and about 30% of the stuff you take you will never have used once.

You can always buy stuff when you are there: if there's a Wilkinsons or similar shop around you can pick things up.

I would say take bedding etc with you and a handful of pots and pans but when you are in a shared kitchen and 6 people each bring 5 different pans there are immediately 30 pans to try and fit in your small cupboards....
Reply 5
Original post by jay2013
Here's my list. Some are pretty obvious:

Bed spread and sheets
Pillows
Hangers and clothes
Toiletries (e.g. cleaning products, bleach, toilet paper, etc)
Office supplies (e.g. pens, notebooks, highlighters, folders, etc)
Printer, printer paper and printer ink (makes life a lot easier even if your university has printing facilities)
Pots, pans, kitchen utensils and other kitchen equipment (if you're living in self-catered accommodation and if your accommodation does not provide such stuff)

Thanks man!! Very helpful, sorry I didn't reply sooner don't get notifications for this.
Reply 6
Original post by Alex Dom
Water filter was so good for me, since the water of the uni tasted really bad......Take paracetamol just incase, everyone needs that. Bin bags maybe a bin, if you dont have one provided in your room

Cheers bro
Reply 7
Original post by MagicNMedicine
The less the better, I bet you will end up getting to the end of the year and about 30% of the stuff you take you will never have used once.

You can always buy stuff when you are there: if there's a Wilkinsons or similar shop around you can pick things up.

I would say take bedding etc with you and a handful of pots and pans but when you are in a shared kitchen and 6 people each bring 5 different pans there are immediately 30 pans to try and fit in your small cupboards....

Thanks man!!
Reply 8
Make a list on Excel of every single thing you take with you.

At the end of first term, go through that list and everything you have never used - take it home.
Part of going to uni is finding this stuff out for yourself. Good bedding and a decent laptop is the only real cornerstone. Everything else can be solved once your in your new location.
Reply 10
Original post by jsuccess
I'm starting university in September & I just wanna know what I should be buying like what's really essential?! I know some is on sense but I don't wanna go there without covering all essential areas. Any help will be golden!!

Have a look at this to give you ideas. http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/what_to_take_to_university

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending