The Student Room Group

Do you love anyone in a non-sexual way, besides family?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by PinkMobilePhone
Yes I do. Wow you don't love your parents? Seriously? If my children ever didn't love me I'd be so gutted it would be unreal.

parents didn't buy me all of the things that my friends had and I deeply resent them for it. they're 90% of the reason for my period of social isolation 4-5 years ago.
Reply 41
My Husbands bank balance.
Nope.
Original post by DouglasAdams
I would say on the contrary, one always loves their parents, even if not necessarily liking them. The reason you may not realise it is due to the fact that they have always been present within your life. If anything were to happen to them, G-d forbid, you would probably realise that what you felt for them was actual love.
Aristotle classified the two as very different types of love. The love you feel for your parents is a form of agape, which is unconditional love. The love you feel for your best friend is a form of philia, loosely translated as friendship. Since philia requires work to produce and demands investment, you probably feel it more, almost as if you succeeded in conquering your friend's friendship or creating one from scratch. Your parents on the other hand will always be loved by you.

I never loved my Dad, didn't feel any regret even when he died.
No (apart from my cats, but they're family :colondollar:)
I love my friends. I feel as though they are my family. :smile:

:love:
Reply 46
Are you kidding - of course!
Original post by genuinelydense
not to derail the thread, but do people actually love their parents? I like them, but not as much as say, my best friend.

I don't.
Reply 48
Nah. I've never really felt like that towards friends. Even those that I consider to be my best friends. I'd probably give up a kidney for them, but I wouldn't say that I love them :tongue:
I love my two closest friends in a non-sexual way. As for why girls tend to have closer relationships than guys, these two videos explain a bit:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mJ6wO-PlW4g

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ERWF6MjI-b0
Original post by genuinelydense
not to derail the thread, but do people actually love their parents? I like them, but not as much as say, my best friend.

Ever read or seen Shakespeare's King Lear?

I love my parents because they're my parents, not because I love them as people. I love them because they've raised me and provided for me etc. so I'm grateful and I could never hate them but if I met them as strangers, we probably wouldn't get along with our personalities. I think most people are like that just that some happen to have personalities that click so they love their parents outside the general parent-child bond that they have. There's nothing wrong with only loving them because of who they are but it's just a different type of love.

The Greeks had it right with their four types of love:

Agape - Spiritual, selfless, unconditional love. Parent to a child. Partner to partner.

Eros - Physical, sexual, romantic, infatuation, step above friendship.

Philia - Mental, affection, friendship, loyalty, give and take.

Storge - Natural affection due to circumstances, the usual in families.
Original post by tomov
Jusitn Bieber

I don't know if you were joking with this one or not but I love Justin Bieber to the moon and beyond.
Reply 52
No I only 'love' my family
Reply 53
Original post by Precious Illusions
Of course, I love my friends.

same here
Reply 54
Original post by Secretnerd123
My fish.

Is that an euphemism for your 'down there'? :tongue:
Original post by Red one
Is that an euphemism for your 'down there'? :tongue:

:lolwut:

No.
Original post by BigBelieber
I don't know if you were joking with this one or not but I love Justin Bieber to the moon and beyond.

How old are you?
Reply 57
Original post by flyyoufools
Ever read or seen Shakespeare's King Lear?

I love my parents because they're my parents, not because I love them as people. I love them because they've raised me and provided for me etc. so I'm grateful and I could never hate them but if I met them as strangers, we probably wouldn't get along with our personalities. I think most people are like that just that some happen to have personalities that click so they love their parents outside the general parent-child bond that they have. There's nothing wrong with only loving them because of who they are but it's just a different type of love.

The Greeks had it right with their four types of love:

Agape - Spiritual, selfless, unconditional love. Parent to a child. Partner to partner.

Eros - Physical, sexual, romantic, infatuation, step above friendship.

Philia - Mental, affection, friendship, loyalty, give and take.

Storge - Natural affection due to circumstances, the usual in families.

Nice to see someone else familiar with the four loves. Although I think love between friends is more of a grander stage than philia, bordering on the symptoms of eros without the physical infatuation. In a sense therefore, despite current gross misuse of the term, a form of Platonic love.
My friends ofcourse and my enemies!
Original post by DouglasAdams
Nice to see someone else familiar with the four loves. Although I think love between friends is more of a grander stage than philia, bordering on the symptoms of eros without the physical infatuation. In a sense therefore, despite current gross misuse of the term, a form of Platonic love.

I'm doing English Literature at A2 so I found out about it that way but it really interested me because it makes so much sense!
True. I guess philia is the love in a sort of 'standard' friendship where you enjoy their company and get along well but it gets closer to eros as that relationship develops further, without fully becoming that unless the relationship were to change.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending