The Student Room Group

IB - Should I take Math HL to major Economics in the UK?

Hi there! I've been taking IB since the 6th grade and I'm currently in the last year of MYP (10th grade), which means that I will have to submit my subject selection form for IB DP soon (in 19 days, to be precise).

I've been really considering to major in Economics in the UK, and I am definitely going to take Economics HL, but is it necessary to take Math HL?

I go to school in Southeast Asia and my school is one of the top 3 IB schools in the capital. The Math HL class in my school is extremely difficult, and we'd have to consistently score 6-7s in our assessments to even be recommended to take Math HL. Only about 5-10% of the students in each batch take Math HL and actually survive until the very end (more than half of the students drop to SL in the first year).

I'm not aiming for universities like Oxford, Cambridge, LSE, Warwick because I know for a fact that they do require Math HL. But how about Nottingham, Exeter, Surrey, Bath, King's College, etc.? And do you know any other good universities in the UK that accepts Math SL to major in Economics?

And also, an additional question: is it better to take English B HL or English A SL? Do universities focus more on whether or not it is an A/B language, or whether or not I take it in standard/higher level? English isn't my first language, but I feel more comfortable writing essays and analyzing books in English as compared to my mother tongue. Or should I just take English A HL? How 'hard' is the class?

I'm in quite a dilemma here, so it would be remarkable if anyone replied. Thank you very much! :smile:
Original post by bee17
Hi there! I've been taking IB since the 6th grade and I'm currently in the last year of MYP (10th grade), which means that I will have to submit my subject selection form for IB DP soon (in 19 days, to be precise).

I've been really considering to major in Economics in the UK, and I am definitely going to take Economics HL, but is it necessary to take Math HL?

I go to school in Southeast Asia and my school is one of the top 3 IB schools in the capital. The Math HL class in my school is extremely difficult, and we'd have to consistently score 6-7s in our assessments to even be recommended to take Math HL. Only about 5-10% of the students in each batch take Math HL and actually survive until the very end (more than half of the students drop to SL in the first year).

I'm not aiming for universities like Oxford, Cambridge, LSE, Warwick because I know for a fact that they do require Math HL. But how about Nottingham, Exeter, Surrey, Bath, King's College, etc.? And do you know any other good universities in the UK that accepts Math SL to major in Economics?

And also, an additional question: is it better to take English B HL or English A SL? Do universities focus more on whether or not it is an A/B language, or whether or not I take it in standard/higher level? English isn't my first language, but I feel more comfortable writing essays and analyzing books in English as compared to my mother tongue. Or should I just take English A HL? How 'hard' is the class?

I'm in quite a dilemma here, so it would be remarkable if anyone replied. Thank you very much! :smile:

Hi there!

Thank you for inquiring about Bath. I'm a second year student of International Management and Spanish and I have a few friends studying economics here and they love it!

The entry for requirements for Economics at Bath can be found here. In short, you don't necessarily need Higher Level Maths, although it is preferred. If you have a grade 7 in Mathematics at the Standard Level you will also be considered.

Furthermore, to find which English language requirements you need to meet before studying here, you can follow this link.

If you have any more questions at all about studying economics or at Bath, please do not hesitate to ask!

All the best,

Ellen
Reply 2
Original post by University Of Bath
Hi there!

Thank you for inquiring about Bath. I'm a second year student of International Management and Spanish and I have a few friends studying economics here and they love it!

The entry for requirements for Economics at Bath can be found here. In short, you don't necessarily need Higher Level Maths, although it is preferred. If you have a grade 7 in Mathematics at the Standard Level you will also be considered.

Furthermore, to find which English language requirements you need to meet before studying here, you can follow this link.

If you have any more questions at all about studying economics or at Bath, please do not hesitate to ask!

All the best,

Ellen

Hi! Thank you so much for taking your time to reply.

Well that's a relief. I was terrified because I didn't think I could handle Math HL, haha!

I have a couple more questions though; would they still accept me if I take Business & Management at SL/HL? Because I know a lot of universities see it as a 'soft' subject, but I honestly don't know what other HL subject to pick.. I wanted to take Psychology HL but unfortunately, my school doesn't offer that subject. My other HL subjects are English A and Economics, and since I'm pretty sure I'm doing Math at SL, I need to pick one more HL subject.

And, another question, how is living in Bath like? I've travelled to London but I haven't visited Bath yet.

Thank you so much :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by bee17

You will be at a disadvantage for Bath if you don't do HL maths. You also need to consider if you really want to do Economics since at University it is quite a mathematical degree. The obvious course to look at if you want a good reputation but less maths would be Bristol.
Reply 4
Original post by Colmans
You will be at a disadvantage for Bath if you don't do HL maths. You also need to consider if you really want to do Economics since at University it is quite a mathematical degree. The obvious course to look at if you want a good reputation but less maths would be Bristol.

Yeah, I'm planning to do something in the lines of Econ/Finance/Business but I'm not so sure yet. And I heard it's also a disadvantage if I took Business at HL/SL? Would it be better if I took History HL?

Thanks for the info! Appreciate it :smile:
Reply 5
Original post by bee17
Yeah, I'm planning to do something in the lines of Econ/Finance/Business but I'm not so sure yet. And I heard it's also a disadvantage if I took Business at HL/SL? Would it be better if I took History HL?

Thanks for the info! Appreciate it :smile:

Business is not well regarded and a good grade at History would undoubtedly give you an advantage as well as teaching skills you would find useful at University.
Reply 6
Original post by Colmans
Business is not well regarded and a good grade at History would undoubtedly give you an advantage as well as teaching skills you would find useful at University.

Alright then, my mind is made up. HL English, Econ and History it is. Lol, wish me luck!
There isn't much difference between English A HL and SL. For HL, you have to produce two written tasks whereas for SL, you only have to produce one and read less number of texts. This is for Lang-lit btw, not Literature.

As for Maths HL, there are many good unis that don't require Maths HL for Economics. Have a look at their website.
From the top of my head I can think of these at the moment:
-Leeds
-Aston
-Lancaster
-Manchester (BA, not Bsc.)
-Leicester
-Birmingham
-Exeter (Business Econ.)
-UEA
Original post by bee17
Hi! Thank you so much for taking your time to reply.

Well that's a relief. I was terrified because I didn't think I could handle Math HL, haha!

I have a couple more questions though; would they still accept me if I take Business & Management at SL/HL? Because I know a lot of universities see it as a 'soft' subject, but I honestly don't know what other HL subject to pick.. I wanted to take Psychology HL but unfortunately, my school doesn't offer that subject. My other HL subjects are English A and Economics, and since I'm pretty sure I'm doing Math at SL, I need to pick one more HL subject.

And, another question, how is living in Bath like? I've travelled to London but I haven't visited Bath yet.

Thank you so much :smile:

Hi again!

No problem, I'm more than happy to help. Sorry it took a while to get back to you, I only do this on Sundays haha.

As you will see from our entry requirements we do look for as broad a range of subjects as possible. Therefore to make your application as competitive as possible we would recommend taking as broad a range of subjects at Higher Level as is available to you.

That being said, we recognise that students taking the IB study a broader range of subjects than is typically the case with A level students and so we would certainly still consider your application should you choose to take Economics, English and Business & Management at Higher Level.

Bath is an extremely safe city to live in, and I’ve always found everyone so friendly. It’s such a beautiful city too, and has so many lovely cute parks which is nice come summer time. Although it is quite small, the fact that it has two universities means that it’s always lively and has a nice international feel too. It really is the best of both worlds!

Another great thing about Bath is the fact it’s only a 10 minute train journey to Bristol where there are even more great club nights and gigs. Many societies and departments organise really cheap trips to Bristol which include return coach (not leaving Bristol until about 3am) and entry fee for about £7 which is amazing!

Believe it or not, there is a great night life in Bath! There are club nights every night, with everything from hip hop, r n b and pop to house, rock, indie, heavy metal and even a few nights dedicated to cheese music! There really is something for everyone and picking where to go is difficult because there are too many options- not too few! Also, because there are two universities in Bath this means that there will always be plenty of people out.

Apart from the club scene there are SO many great societies and sports clubs you could get involved with to meet new people. You can find a full list here.There is everything from Curry Appreciation Society, which gets you great discounts on curries, and Wine Society, which offers wine tastings at a reduced price for members, to Debating, Musical/ Theatre groups and Departmental groups just to mention a few. There are also all the standard sports, which you can join on any level right from beginner, as well as some less traditional ones such a trampolining or fencing. Most sports clubs offer free taster sessions during and just after Freshers’ Week, so you can pop along to a few of those to see what you fancy!

That's all I can think of for the moment, but if you have any more questions then please do ask!

All the best,

Ellen
Reply 9
Original post by shopoholic
There isn't much difference between English A HL and SL. For HL, you have to produce two written tasks whereas for SL, you only have to produce one and read less number of texts. This is for Lang-lit btw, not Literature.

As for Maths HL, there are many good unis that don't require Maths HL for Economics. Have a look at their website.
From the top of my head I can think of these at the moment:
-Leeds
-Aston
-Lancaster
-Manchester (BA, not Bsc.)
-Leicester
-Birmingham
-Exeter (Business Econ.)
-UEA

Ah I see. But I'm taking two A languages so I guess it's safer for me to take English A SL instead, it's my second language anyway. And I heard it's pretty hard to get a 7 at English A HL? I think it's an extremely interesting subject though.

Thank you so much for the information! Very very helpful. :smile:
Original post by bee17
Ah I see. But I'm taking two A languages so I guess it's safer for me to take English A SL instead, it's my second language anyway. And I heard it's pretty hard to get a 7 at English A HL? I think it's an extremely interesting subject though.

Thank you so much for the information! Very very helpful. :smile:

Ah yes, if you're taking two A languages, it'd probably be better to take English SL :smile:
I've heard of a few people who got a level 7 in English A HL but imo it's still easier to get a level 7 in English A HL than say, in Maths or any of the sciences.

my pleasure! :smile:
Reply 11
Hi There

I am also looking at deciding my IB subjects at the moment and I am in the exact situation you were in. I want to take Economics HL but not Maths HL as I am planning on doing English Lang & Lit HL along with History HL as well. I am just wondering how this is working out for you and are there universities in the UK or US that accept and Economics applicants without HL Maths? If so which ones?

Thanks for the help.
Reply 12
Original post by bee17
Alright then, my mind is made up. HL English, Econ and History it is. Lol, wish me luck!

Hi There
I am also looking at deciding my IB subjects at the moment and I am in the exact situation you were in. I want to take Economics HL but not Maths HL as I am planning on doing English Lang & Lit HL along with History HL as well. I am just wondering how this is working out for you and are there universities in the UK or US that accept and Economics applicants without HL Maths? If so which ones?

Thanks for the help.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending