The Student Room Group

Please help select a University!

Newcastle, Cardiff, Southampton, Sheffield, Surrey, Aberystwyth! Which one to choose? Please help. MSc. in Innovation and Entrepreneurship related courses!
Reply 1
Original post by Vysakh Ne De
Newcastle, Cardiff, Southampton, Sheffield, Surrey, Aberystwyth! Which one to choose? Please help. MSc. in Innovation and Entrepreneurship related courses!

depends on the course, scene, campus etc... if you want to do it by overall ranking, Newcastle and Cardiff are good universities.

I live in Aberystwyth, it is a nice sea side town, especially in the summer, but it is miserable when it rains. There's a decent drum and bass scene but good events like once every year lol gg
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by Anoraak
depends on the course, scene, campus etc... if you want to do it by overall ranking, Newcastle and Cardiff are good universities.

I live in Aberystwyth, it is a nice sea side town, especially in the summer, but it is miserable when it rains. There's a decent drum and bass scene here too

Thank you!! I am looking for a reputed institute. From the suggestion till now all says Newcastle or Cardiff. Can you please tell me which is known more for its business school?
Original post by physicsbook
Cardiff is 10th and Newcastle is 18th in the league tables (CUG) for business.
http://www.thecompleteuniversityguide.co.uk/league-tables/rankings?s=Business+%26+Management+Studies

A fact that on its own means virtually nothing...
I am always calm. :smile:

You gave an answer, but not one that carries a huge amount of weight given the inherent weaknesses of the 'league tables' and the small difference in 'scores' between the two institutions.
Reply 5
Moved to Postgrad (Business courses)

Southampton and Sheffield are no less reputable than Newcastle and Cardiff, either as universities generally speaking or as business schools.

Cardiff is 10th and Newcastle is 18th in the league tables (CUG) for business.
http://www.thecompleteuniversityguide.co.uk/league-tables/rankings?s=Business+%26+Management+Studies

Just a note, but this is largely based on undergraduate statistics such as student satisfaction and entry standards. The OP is a postgraduate applicant. More suitable rankings, if any are used, would be something like the Financial Times ranking of European Business Schools.

Moreover, whether a university ranks higher than another doesn't mean to say the higher ranked university is better known, or even a better university. An example I usually use is in Politics. Durham outranks Aberwyswyth in Politics league tables but Aber has the stronger department, particularly from an IR standpoint.
Original post by River85

Just a note, but this is largely based on undergraduate statistics such as student satisfaction and entry standards. The OP is a postgraduate applicant. More suitable rankings, if any are used, would be something like the Financial Times ranking of European Business Schools.

Moreover, whether a university ranks higher than another doesn't mean to say the higher ranked university is better known, or even a better university. An example I usually use is in Politics. Durham outranks Aberwyswyth in Politics league tables but Aber has the stronger department, particularly from an IR standpoint.

I know, it doesn't mean the university is better and it only gives a very narrow insight but all I was doing was trying to help.

I would appreciate it if we could just leave this now and if anyone's got better advice just say what ever your advice is in another comment rather than keep on at me about what I said.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 7
What exactly are the courses? Do you have any preference in terms of a course and its content? What are you hoping to achieve from the MSc?

As mentioned Newcastle, Cardiff, Sheffield and Southampton are all well regarded as universities. However, they are not particularly well regarded business schools/universities for business courses (compared to Warwick, London, Said, Durham, Strathclyde...) generally speaking, which is why it might be useful to know more about the courses and what attracted you to the universities.

I know, it doesn't mean the university is better and it only gives a very narrow insight but all I was doing was trying to help.

I would appreciate it if we could just leave this now and if anyone's got better advice just say what ever your advice is in another comment rather than keep on at me about what I said.

I didn't mean to have a go, and realise the OP did post his thread in UCAS (so not immediately obvious that he's a postgraduate applicant). It's just that, as he's international and might not be familiar with UK league tables.

Hi Vysakh Ne De,

Tough choice between all these universities. The only thing I can say to you from the Aberystwyth stand point is to check out the courses on offer by clicking here: http://courses.aber.ac.uk/.

I'm no expert in Postgraduate study, but perhaps a course like this one would be good?: http://courses.aber.ac.uk/postgraduate/enterprise-innovation-management-masters/

If you want much better advice you can chat online to a PG adviser via the website by clicking in the chat box on that page too. :colondollar:

I hope that helps,

James :smile:
Reply 9
Original post by River85
What exactly are the courses? Do you have any preference in terms of a course and its content? What are you hoping to achieve from the MSc?

As mentioned Newcastle, Cardiff, Sheffield and Southampton are all well regarded as universities. However, they are not particularly well regarded business schools/universities for business courses (compared to Warwick, London, Said, Durham, Strathclyde...) generally speaking, which is why it might be useful to know more about the courses and what attracted you to the universities.

thank you ... I am planning for MSc. in Innovation & Entrepreneurship management (Emphasis is on innovation). So it is the business school that is of concern. MSc. Management and MSc. Innovation management courses seem to have the same modules for innovation study, so I am fine with Msc. Management as well.
I have another offer now from University of Bristol for Msc. Management. Please guide. Focus on reputation as a business school, employment prospects.

I was busy in work so could not check the reps. Thanks to all those who repd.
(edited 10 years ago)
Cardiff!!!!!!!
Reply 11
thank you ... I am planning for MSc. in Innovation & Entrepreneurship management (Emphasis is on innovation). So it is the business school that is of concern. MSc. Management and MSc. Innovation management courses seem to have the same modules for innovation study, so I am fine with Msc. Management as well.
I have another offer now from University of Bristol for Msc. Management. Please guide. Focus on reputation as a business school, employment prospects.

I was busy in work so could not check the reps. Thanks to all those who repd.

From your original list, Cardiff sure stands out as a very good Business School, definitely in the top 10 in the UK - just check the list of academics working there. Bristol on the other hand can hardly be called a Business School, most of their academics are in the field of Economics or Finance & Accounting.

At Cardiff, you could look at the Business Strategy & Entrepreneurship: http://courses.cardiff.ac.uk/postgraduate/course/detail/p034.html

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending