The Student Room Group

which course is easier to get in to? Engineering or medicine.

Scroll to see replies

you could do medical or biomedical engineering and get the best of both :P

in all seriousness ask yourself whether you enjoy maths physics or bio the most, and make a decision
if your half hearted for any of those fields, youll struggle big time
Reply 21
If anyone saw my earlier post. Ignore it. I was being naive
According to our head of sixth, "Engineering is the new Medicine". This may not be true for all Universities, but the level of competition for Engineering at universities like Cambridge and Imperial College definitely rivals the level of competition for Medicine.
Reply 23
Original post by Mohid Khan
Engineering is ALOT easier because:
-No entry exams
-little or No Work experience required
-Entry requirements MUCH LOWER

I know people who have offers for engineering like CCD or CCC
i also know ppl who applied for medicine with 4A* and got all rejections

Not at the top

eg
Cambridge STEP offers
ICL A*A*A offers

Medicine offers are easy (highest is A*AA with many being 3A), as is the BMAT compared to STEP

but I agree, medicine is harder to get into overall
Reply 24
Engineering is much easier to get offers for, and there are more places available.
engineering is more easier to get into
Original post by Mike_123
Not at the top

eg
Cambridge STEP offers
ICL A*A*A offers

Medicine offers are easy (highest is A*AA with many being 3A), as is the BMAT compared to STEP

but I agree, medicine is harder to get into overall

yes, there are one or two exceptions:biggrin:
but i still think bmat is much harder,
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 27
Original post by Angelo12231
i want to be a Doctor, but theres just too much to do in terms of work experience and whatnot. I also like Maths so engineering is cool but i still want to be a Doctor more. so which one is a better and 'easier to get into' course?

which is better the red bubblegum or the blue one ?????????
Another stupid question....honestly if your asking this question, you should probably go for engineering mate!:smile::confused::confused::confused:
Reply 28
If you're looking to cut corners and take the easiest route then I'm not sure that either profession would be suited to you. I don't think the accredited bodies of the respective professions would take kindly to that attitude.

In answer to the original question then medicine would be the harder to get into simply because of the competition and demand for places.
Far easier to get into engineering.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Part of the reason you have to do work experience is so you can get an idea of what the career is like. Not only is medical school much harder to get into, but the career itself is extremely stressful and demanding. If you don't want to do things like arranging work experience then imagine how you'll feel working all weekend and doing night shifts, followed by clinics and paperwork.

Most people who get places at med school have worked hard for years to get that offer. If you really want to be a doctor then you have to put the effort in. I thought people were over exaggerating how competitive medicine is but now I've applied the amount of competition is scary :tongue:
Reply 31
Far easier to get into Engineering, but is an extremely intense degree. I had more work in first year than a mate who was a medic.

Medicine will get you more respect and possibly more money (if that's vital to you).

Engineers have saved more lives than doctors. Without the equipment (Mechanical), buildings (Civil) etc... doctors couldn't do the job they do. Try and find a doctor with the knowledge to build a life-support machine.

Either one is a great choice.
Reply 32
Original post by Xyloid
Far easier to get into Engineering, but is an extremely intense degree. I had more work in first year than a mate who was a medic.

Medicine will get you more respect and possibly more money (if that's vital to you).

Engineers have saved more lives than doctors. Without the equipment (Mechanical), buildings (Civil) etc... doctors couldn't do the job they do. Try and find a doctor with the knowledge to build a life-support machine.

Either one is a great choice.

Yep, if a doctor makes a mistake somebody might die. If an engineer makes a mistake a lot of people might die.
Reply 33
Original post by Mohid Khan
yes, there are one or two exceptions:biggrin:
but i still think bmat is much harder,

I could answer a few questions of BMAT, but none on even STEP 1.
Reply 34
Original post by wablapna
which is better the red bubblegum or the blue one ?????????
Another stupid question....honestly if your asking this question, you should probably go for engineering mate!:smile::confused::confused::confused:

are you saying medicine is the smart option...
Reply 35
Original post by Folion
If you're looking to cut corners and take the easiest route then I'm not sure that either profession would be suited to you. I don't think the accredited bodies of the respective professions would take kindly to that attitude.

In answer to the original question then medicine would be the harder to get into simply because of the competition and demand for places.

oh not at all, i wouldnt cut corners if there aren't any to cut... im just making things easier for myself :smile: , if there aren't any short cuts then so be it.
Medicine is a thousand times harder :')

Engineering is only competitive at Oxbridge. Even then, medicine at Oxbridge is just...
I'm a GP and my son is applying to do engineering this year. I'd agree with those saying medicine is harder to get into, due to the level of competition, but engineering is the harder degree.
Many prospective medics can't get work experience in hospitals and GP surgeries and admissions offices know that. Doing voluntary work with the elderly or people with disabilities or in care homes is fairly easy though. Asking a local GP if they could spare half an hour to discuss what being a GP is like is fairly easy. In many ways the hardest bit of medicine is getting in. Then you just have a huge workload. That isn't difficult as there are no difficult concepts to grasp like in maths and physics based courses, just loads of stuff to remember.
The work as a doctor is very stressful, because you see moany, ill unhappy people all day (unless you're a radiologist or pathologist or similar). Engineers can work in a more cheerful environment.
Having said that my husband is an engineer and moans more about his job than i do mine because there seem to be alot of managers in engineering who can't manage people and just want to inflate their egos. You can largely ignore managers as a consultant or GP, they are there in the background changing things and giving you hoops to jump through but not in your face as much.
My mech eng father though loved his job.
Think of the type of job you want to do, although I think many people would be happy in a variety of jobs. There are medical engineering jobs that produce medical devices.
It's much easier to get into medicine. Engineering is harder to get into because you have to compete with other students who wish to do engineering, who are on the whole, smarter than the students choosing medicine.
Original post by taysidefrog
I'm a GP and my son is applying to do engineering this year. I'd agree with those saying medicine is harder to get into, due to the level of competition, but engineering is the harder degree.
Many prospective medics can't get work experience in hospitals and GP surgeries and admissions offices know that. Doing voluntary work with the elderly or people with disabilities or in care homes is fairly easy though. Asking a local GP if they could spare half an hour to discuss what being a GP is like is fairly easy. In many ways the hardest bit of medicine is getting in. Then you just have a huge workload. That isn't difficult as there are no difficult concepts to grasp like in maths and physics based courses, just loads of stuff to remember.
The work as a doctor is very stressful, because you see moany, ill unhappy people all day (unless you're a radiologist or pathologist or similar). Engineers can work in a more cheerful environment.
Having said that my husband is an engineer and moans more about his job than i do mine because there seem to be alot of managers in engineering who can't manage people and just want to inflate their egos. You can largely ignore managers as a consultant or GP, they are there in the background changing things and giving you hoops to jump through but not in your face as much.
My mech eng father though loved his job.
Think of the type of job you want to do, although I think many people would be happy in a variety of jobs. There are medical engineering jobs that produce medical devices.

I disagree. It is easier to learn the logical concepts involved in mathematics, physics and engineering than it is to memorize all of the facts in medicine. It is also easy to memorize the required material in physics and maths, because it strings together so logically. In medicine, there are many random facts that you need to know, that cannot be solved using reason alone.
(edited 10 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest