The Student Room Group

Do the boundaries for the maths linear edexcel gcse change?

I did a mock last june, 165 was an A*.
Did a mock last december, 165 was an A*
And june 2013, 165 was an A*

Does the grade boundary change? Are the exams equally as difficult each year or do they not change them for some other reason

Sent from my camel using Etihad desertways
Reply 1
Yes there is some variation in the difficulty of the exams and grade boundaries are adjusted after every set of exams to maintain standards.

Grade boundaries used for mock exams are whatever your teacher wants them to be.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 10 years ago)
Yes they do. I did mine in November 2012, and the boundaries were very low (I think 156 out of 200 for an A*), my friend didn't get her A* and retook in March, where the boundary was higher, but I can't quite remember what it was. The boundaries change depending on difficulty. Sometimes teachers lie about it though. Mine always said 90% A* 80% B, but it isn't true.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Bobjim12
I did a mock last june, 165 was an A*.
Did a mock last december, 165 was an A*
And june 2013, 165 was an A*

Does the grade boundary change? Are the exams equally as difficult each year or do they not change them for some other reason

Sent from my camel using Etihad desertways

The boundaries change slightly, depending on how tough the exam was and the overall 'pass' rate. Again, this is to maintain standards.
I hope this has answered your question. x
Hello, I think this will help :smile:
I did the exam in November 2013 and to get an A you needed 139/200 and for an A* it was 169/200
This was the highest it had been in a while.....
Reply 5
Original post by Marcusroye98
Hello, I think this will help :smile:
I did the exam in November 2013 and to get an A you needed 139/200 and for an A* it was 169/200
This was the highest it had been in a while.....

hi, thank you.. i suppose i should have asked more along the lines of if it changes significantly, guess it doesn't..
Reply 6
Since 2009 the A* boundary for edexcel has varied between 157 and 176.
I'd say that was significant variation.

Since the current specification was introduced it has varied between 157 and 169, though the 157 on the Nov 2012 paper was a bit of an anomaly with all others being between 164-169

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 10 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest