The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Ruth W
Hello
I am interested in studying engineering at Cambridge.. How important is the GCSE grade in English. (I am an English student) eg Would a B grade decrease my chances? (Maths, physics chemistry, systems are all at the highest grade).

Also would you expect GCSE results to be A/A* across the board?

Thank you for responding.

Hi there, a B in GCSE English would not adversely affect your application to read Engineering. What we are interested in is your ability in the key disciplines for Engineering (Maths, Physics and, to a lesser degree, Chemistry).

We expect most applicants to have achieved mostly A*s and As at GCSE. It does not have to be across the board but the more A*s and As you can get the better. More important than GCSE, however, is performance at AS Level if you are taking A Levels.
Original post by MrsBartlet
My daughter (who is in Y12) is going to apply for English for 2015 and I am unsure on the best advice to give her in terms of how many subjects to continue at A2. She is doing English, History, RS and French at AS level and would like to drop French next year to give her time to do extra reading in preparation for English. Her school say that their Oxbridge humanities applicants generally do 4 A2s but I see on the Cambridge website that it says 3 are sufficient and that you are looking for depth rather than breadth (something that having time to do extra reading should achieve!) From what I understand, you may say this as many students are not given the opportunity to do 4 A2s and so the application process must remain fair to all.

My question is - is 3 enough really or would she look like a weaker candidate as most candidates would be doing 4 A2s? Would it be thought odd that she was only doing 3 coming form a school with at track record of students taking 4 A2s? She has 10 A* and 2 As at GCSE and she is capable of doing the 4 to A2 but we want her to have enough time for her reading.

Your advice would be much appreciated!

Hello, thanks for your question. It is something I get asked quite a lot by students and parents so it is good to have a chance to answer it. For Arts and Humanities applicants, it is as common for them to be doing 3 A2s as it is for them to do 4. In the case of a Humanities student, I would rather see a student do really well in three A2s than quite well in four. If a student can do well in four and wants to carry on with four to A2 then that is fine. The offer that will be made, however, will be on three A2s. If your daughter is concerned that doing four A2s will compromise her attainment in her first three A2s then she should drop the fourth. One caveat to this would be that if she does drop the fourth A2 then the time saved should be spend on improvement in her remaining subjects or on extra reading. I hope this is helpful and please feel free to ask further.
Hello, I really appreciate you taking your time to answer our questions. I'm a 16 year old student, currently studying History, Maths, English Literature and Spanish at AS Level and I am planning on applying to Cambridge to read History in two years time. Thank you in advance for answering my questions.

I am doing well in History, Maths and English Lit however am not doing so well in Spanish and may only get a B in my AS results. Will this greatly affect my chances of getting into Cambridge bearing in mind I am predicted As in my other three subjects?

Also, I am taking part in the Peterhouse Vellacott History Essay Prize competition and was wondering if it is worth putting on my personal statement even if I do not get commended?

Finally, are there any History books in particular that I should definitely have read before my application?

Many thanks.
Reply 43
Original post by Christ's Admissions
Hello, thanks for your question. It is something I get asked quite a lot by students and parents so it is good to have a chance to answer it. For Arts and Humanities applicants, it is as common for them to be doing 3 A2s as it is for them to do 4. In the case of a Humanities student, I would rather see a student do really well in three A2s than quite well in four. If a student can do well in four and wants to carry on with four to A2 then that is fine. The offer that will be made, however, will be on three A2s. If your daughter is concerned that doing four A2s will compromise her attainment in her first three A2s then she should drop the fourth. One caveat to this would be that if she does drop the fourth A2 then the time saved should be spend on improvement in her remaining subjects or on extra reading. I hope this is helpful and please feel free to ask further.

Thank you for your reply. She is very focused and I believe she would spend the time gained by dropping her fourth subject on extra reading etc. However, I am still not clear if she would put herself at a disadvantage compared to those taking 4 A2s. Obviously, doing 4 A2s and still getting good grades would demonstrate an ability to cope with a heavy workload whilst working at the highest level.
Original post by MrsBartlet
Thank you for your reply. She is very focused and I believe she would spend the time gained by dropping her fourth subject on extra reading etc. However, I am still not clear if she would put herself at a disadvantage compared to those taking 4 A2s. Obviously, doing 4 A2s and still getting good grades would demonstrate an ability to cope with a heavy workload whilst working at the highest level.

This is a matter of judgement and I cannot speak for everyone at Cambridge. My own view, however, and one that is, I think, generally shared is that for Humanities students it doesn't matter whether they are taking three or four A2s. Our extensive research has shown that, for humanities students, performance in their best three subjects is the strongest indicator for how well they will perform at Cambridge and we therefore place most emphasis in performance in those top three subjects.

Providing that by doing three she thinks that she will do better in those three subjects than she thinks she will do in her top three subjects if she takes four, then she should take three. If she does well in her top three ASs then she will be a strong candidate regardless of whether she is taking three or four subjects through to A2. If she does not do well at AS then continuing four subjects isn;t going to make her seem any stronger. For Humanities students, it is quality not quantity that we are looking for.
Reply 45
This is a matter of judgement and I cannot speak for everyone at Cambridge. My own view, however, and one that is, I think, generally shared is that for Humanities students it doesn't matter whether they are taking three or four A2s. Our extensive research has shown that, for humanities students, performance in their best three subjects is the strongest indicator for how well they will perform at Cambridge and we therefore place most emphasis in performance in those top three subjects.

Providing that by doing three she thinks that she will do better in those three subjects than she thinks she will do in her top three subjects if she takes four, then she should take three. If she does well in her top three ASs then she will be a strong candidate regardless of whether she is taking three or four subjects through to A2. If she does not do well at AS then continuing four subjects isn;t going to make her seem any stronger. For Humanities students, it is quality not quantity that we are looking for.

That is very useful. Thank you so much for your help.
Reply 46
Hello again,

I am enquiring about Cambridge's undergraduate Medicine program. As I am studying in America, I am unfamiliar with the UK's medical school system. Upon completion of Standard Medicine, will I be able to practice? Furthermore, I understand that Cambridge has a program that allows students interested in pursuing a career in academic medicine to receive an MB, BChir, and PhD in 6 years. If one were to complete this program, will he/she be able to practice afterwards?

Thanks!
Reply 47
For Engineering/Physical NatSci what sort of non A-Level related things are you looking for in an applicant?
Reply 48
Hi, my question is specifically regarding Natural Sciences. I have received the prospectus today and it states that on the UCAS application you have to indicate whether you are interested in Physical or Biological Science, but is there possibility to choose a mixture, for example in the first year choose: Chemistry, Materials Science and Biology of Cells?

Thank you in advance for your answer.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 49
I'm currently concerned that lacking Further Maths A Level will hinder my potential Physical NatSci application for 2015 entry. I do take Maths A Level. I have heard a lot of conflicting views and would like to know from an admissions tutor how necessary having FM is.

Thank you in advance for your help. I have found this thread very useful already!

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 10 years ago)
Hi, am relatively certain of the answer to this, but applying for Physical NatSci, and having taken 7 AS subjects, will the UMS/grades of my 2-3 subjects unrelated to the course be of as much concern as the UMS of my science subjects (Maths, F.Maths, Physics, Chemistry)? I certainly don't think I can get +90% UMS in my Latin and Creative Writing ASs, although I will certainly try if it would otherwise cause problems for me.

I only intend to take the 4 science subjects I mentioned to A2, in addition to perhaps Psychology.
I'm considering applying to Christ's so this is extremely useful! I have my worries, but they're probably just those typical TSR worries.

I intend to apply for NatSci (more physical than biological)

GCSEs: I think they are fine considering my previous school.

A Levels: In year eleven, I self taught History AS and Mathematics A2. I achieved a B and an A respectively, and am resitting C3, hopefully once I've resat that it'll be 100 UMS.

Will the fact I didn't get the A* first time round hinder me? If I get the 100 UMS this year my maths average would be above 90%; I start Further Maths next year so can't take any modules to boost my average above 92% for maths alone (my other sciences should push that up)

And will my History AS come into account?

This year I'm completing AS Biology, Chemistry, Physics and French and redoing C3.

Will French count towards my average at all? I don't think it will, but I'd like confirmation.

I then intend to drop Biology AS (and perhaps French AS) and continue F Maths, Physics and Chemistry to A2.

Kelvin Peter house science competition: I have the intention of entering this, would it count against me if I don't win at all?

Many Thanks
L'Evil Fish
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 52
I will be applying from Australia, so since we don't do any public examinations (except one for mediating final results) will I be asked for my grade transcripts for each term?

Thank you in advance :smile:
Original post by edithuman
Hello again,

I am enquiring about Cambridge's undergraduate Medicine program. As I am studying in America, I am unfamiliar with the UK's medical school system. Upon completion of Standard Medicine, will I be able to practice? Furthermore, I understand that Cambridge has a program that allows students interested in pursuing a career in academic medicine to receive an MB, BChir, and PhD in 6 years. If one were to complete this program, will he/she be able to practice afterwards?

Thanks!

You undertake the pre-clincial course, which is two years, then you spend a year doing a Part II course from another related Cambridge tripos (usually the Natural Science one). After three years, then, you do the clinical course which is a further three years. At the end of that you are able to practice though there is a fairly intensive professional education programme while you a junior doctor.

The MB/PhD programme takes five and a half years after you have completed the pre-clinical course, so a total of 8 and a half years in all. Yes, you can practice after completing the clincial element of the MB/PhD course. Full details about this course can be found here.
Original post by Red Fox
For Engineering/Physical NatSci what sort of non A-Level related things are you looking for in an applicant?

The sorts of things might include, evidence of further reading into your study; attendance on summer schools/taster days/mastercalsses that lots of universities and other organisations runs; participation in Maths competitions; attending public lectures on science/engineering/downloading them from the internet; and, in the case of Engineering possibly some work experience if you can manage it though this is not essential by any means.
Original post by Obliviate
Hi, my question is specifically regarding Natural Sciences. I have received the prospectus today and it states that on the UCAS application you have to indicate whether you are interested in Physical or Biological Science, but is there possibility to choose a mixture, for example in the first year choose: Chemistry, Materials Science and Biology of Cells?

Thank you in advance for your answer.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hi there, you need to choose a particular pathway at admissions but we will not hold you to that on entry. Providing you have the required A Levels or equiavlent any of the options are open to you for Part IA whether you have described yourself at admissions at being NSB or NSP. The purpose of the Natural Sciences is to allow students that flexibility and every college has at least one or two people every year who are admitted as NSP and switch to mostly doing NSB and vice versa.

What difference it will make is at interview. If you choose NSP you will be interviewed usually by physicists and chemists who will test you on physical chemistry. If you apply for NSB you will be interviewed on biology and usually the more biological side of chemistry, though the chemistry content in a NSB or an NSP interview need not be very different. It's up to you, once you have your AS results, to think about which form of interview will suit you best. Closer to application, ask the college/s you are interested in about how best you might be classified if you are still unsure and they will help you.
Original post by ayesha_17
I'm currently concerned that lacking Further Maths A Level will hinder my potential Physical NatSci application for 2015 entry. I do take Maths A Level. I have heard a lot of conflicting views and would like to know from an admissions tutor how necessary having FM is.

Thank you in advance for your help. I have found this thread very useful already!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Having FM is not a condition for any option in Part IA of Natural Sciences with the partial except of the Physics option for which you need either FM A Level or Physics A Level. You are also strongly recommended to have FM A Level if you choose the Maths B option.

Overall, I would say that the majority of successful NSP applicants do have FM A Level or AS Level. At Christ's I would say the proportion is around 2/3 to 3/4 with FM and I would expect that to be reflected at most colleges.

In general, my advice if you are considering NSP is that if you want to do mainly Chemistry modules then not have FM is not going to be a problem, it is something that we would notice if you do not have it and you want to do mainly Physics options. If you do want to do Physics, then I would encourage you, as much for course preparation as admission, to undertake at least FM AS Level if you can.
Original post by MangoFreak
Hi, am relatively certain of the answer to this, but applying for Physical NatSci, and having taken 7 AS subjects, will the UMS/grades of my 2-3 subjects unrelated to the course be of as much concern as the UMS of my science subjects (Maths, F.Maths, Physics, Chemistry)? I certainly don't think I can get +90% UMS in my Latin and Creative Writing ASs, although I will certainly try if it would otherwise cause problems for me.

I only intend to take the 4 science subjects I mentioned to A2, in addition to perhaps Psychology.

Hello, the only AS results that will count towards your Science UMS average, which will be one we look at most closely, are your Science ASs. Your performance in Latin and Creative Wiritng will make no difference to your NSP application.
Original post by L'Evil Fish
I'm considering applying to Christ's so this is extremely useful! I have my worries, but they're probably just those typical TSR worries.

I intend to apply for NatSci (more physical than biological)

GCSEs: I think they are fine considering my previous school.

A Levels: In year eleven, I self taught History AS and Mathematics A2. I achieved a B and an A respectively, and am resitting C3, hopefully once I've resat that it'll be 100 UMS.

Will the fact I didn't get the A* first time round hinder me? If I get the 100 UMS this year my maths average would be above 90%; I start Further Maths next year so can't take any modules to boost my average above 92% for maths alone (my other sciences should push that up)

And will my History AS come into account?

This year I'm completing AS Biology, Chemistry, Physics and French and redoing C3.

Will French count towards my average at all? I don't think it will, but I'd like confirmation.

I then intend to drop Biology AS (and perhaps French AS) and continue F Maths, Physics and Chemistry to A2.

Kelvin Peter house science competition: I have the intention of entering this, would it count against me if I don't win at all?

Many Thanks
L'Evil Fish

Hi there L'Evil Fish, glad you are considering Christ's. I'll do my best to answer your questions. First, neither your French or History score would be taken into account, we'd look at the Science scores.

Not getting an A* in Maths in Year 11, especially if it was self taught, will not be a problem. It will be good if you get a high mark in the C3 retake, however. We always look carefully at when modules were taken to place them in context and we know that a fair number of people do take Maths early.

No, it wouldn't count against you not winning the Peterhouse Kelvin Science competition. Just entering is a sign of showing further interest in your subject. If we only took people who won college competitions, we be a pretty small university! :smile:

I hope that helps, do feel free to ask more questions.
Hi there L'Evil Fish, glad you are considering Christ's. I'll do my best to answer your questions. First, neither your French or History score would be taken into account, we'd look at the Science scores.

Not getting an A* in Maths in Year 11, especially if it was self taught, will not be a problem. It will be good if you get a high mark in the C3 retake, however. We always look carefully at when modules were taken to place them in context and we know that a fair number of people do take Maths early.

No, it wouldn't count against you not winning the Peterhouse Kelvin Science competition. Just entering is a sign of showing further interest in your subject. If we only took people who won college competitions, we be a pretty small university! :smile:

I hope that helps, do feel free to ask more questions.

Thank you very much :smile:

I shall ask any further questions when I have them!

Latest