The Student Room Group

Wanting to transfer universites

I've been studying at university since October last year and I really, really hate it. I thought things were looking up as I was going to be sharing a house with some people I know next year, but they've now all moved or dropped out so there's no-one I can live with, I'm stuck in a house contract on my own, and everything about the university is simply awful. I desperately want to transfer uni - a lot of people there have already done it. However, I don't really know anything about this and wondered if anyone can help give me some information? I've heard of something called a 'false start' which allows you to get funding for the first year again if you start at another uni, would I be eligible for that? I don't really know anything about transferring and any help would be massively appreciated as I'm really unhappy here. Thank you very much.
Original post by rosiedunne
I've been studying at university since October last year and I really, really hate it. I thought things were looking up as I was going to be sharing a house with some people I know next year, but they've now all moved or dropped out so there's no-one I can live with, I'm stuck in a house contract on my own, and everything about the university is simply awful. I desperately want to transfer uni - a lot of people there have already done it. However, I don't really know anything about this and wondered if anyone can help give me some information? I've heard of something called a 'false start' which allows you to get funding for the first year again if you start at another uni, would I be eligible for that? I don't really know anything about transferring and any help would be massively appreciated as I'm really unhappy here. Thank you very much.

If you're so unhappy I really thing it's a good idea to transfer, especially considering so many people have already left. That isn't the sign of a good course. :smile:
I think you should be eligible for 'false start' funding as this is what SAAS say:
"On one occasion only we allow what we call a 'false start'. If you do no more than one year of an HND, degree or equivalent level course and do not progress into the second year, we will ignore the support we gave you for this year and give you the full support package again to start another HND, degree or equivalent level course."

However, if you only want to change universities and not your course, or if you want to transfer to a similar course, then you may be able to transfer into the second year. Therefore no extra finding will be needed and you won't lose a year.

Hope that helps.
Reply 2
Thank you very much, that does help a lot! Although I would much prefer simply starting over again somewhere new because the main problem at this university was that we didn't have halls, so I had to move into a house with strangers I didn't know and didn't really like and we never have any events on or anything so it's very lonely and I don't really know anyone well at all, even though I've been here nearly a year now! So I'd really like to be able to redo my first year somewhere else and actually get the opportunity to get to know people and stay in halls etc so as not to end up in this horrible position again!

It's not just the life, it's also the course which is way too intense, but for all the wrong reasons, I feel like I'm not really learning anything at all. I love the subject and really want to proceed with it so I'd want to stay on the same course, just move to a different university and start from the beginning again, do you know if that's possible? Can you recommend anywhere I could find more information as well? I literally have no idea where to start or who to ask and our university doesn't even have student support or anything so there's no-one I can talk to here. Who could I get in contact with to find out about this 'false start' thing a bit more?

Thanks again!
Original post by rosiedunne
Thank you very much, that does help a lot! Although I would much prefer simply starting over again somewhere new because the main problem at this university was that we didn't have halls, so I had to move into a house with strangers I didn't know and didn't really like and we never have any events on or anything so it's very lonely and I don't really know anyone well at all, even though I've been here nearly a year now! So I'd really like to be able to redo my first year somewhere else and actually get the opportunity to get to know people and stay in halls etc so as not to end up in this horrible position again!

It's not just the life, it's also the course which is way too intense, but for all the wrong reasons, I feel like I'm not really learning anything at all. I love the subject and really want to proceed with it so I'd want to stay on the same course, just move to a different university and start from the beginning again, do you know if that's possible? Can you recommend anywhere I could find more information as well? I literally have no idea where to start or who to ask and our university doesn't even have student support or anything so there's no-one I can talk to here. Who could I get in contact with to find out about this 'false start' thing a bit more?

Thanks again!

Glad I could help. :smile: I can see why you're not happy there.
There's more information about changing you course here.
I'd also suggest contacting SAAS: https://www.saas.gov.uk/contact.htm
Are there no tutors at the university who might be able to help you?

Quick Reply

Latest