The Student Room Group

Staying in student accom for 2nd year

I've had a lot of hassle sorting out a place to live next year. I was supposed to be sharing a flat with one of my flatmates after summer for 2nd year, however she decided to inform me a few weeks ago her parents were buying her a one bedroom flat. I then turned to 2 other flatmates who I knew hadn't quite sorted their accommodation out and they were happy to let me live with them.

I spoke with one of them as she was keen to get a private flat which seemed fine, however it looks as though we're only going to be able to get one for a 12 month lease which wasn't ideal however it still works out around £800 cheaper a year doing that. However both of them have now decided they are going to stay in the student accommodation we went to see (which wasn't that nice and they both agreed they weren't keen on it) and its not much cheaper than the halls I'm living in now. Thing is neither of them have thought it through and they are only booking this accommodation because they are panicking that we won't find somewhere when there's tons of flats still available.

Anyone have any ideas how to try talk them back into looking at flats without them panicking about not having anywhere to live next year? I'm just really unhappy paying that amount of money and living somewhere I know I won't be happy.

Thank you
Reply 1
Original post by iloveparis
I've had a lot of hassle sorting out a place to live next year. I was supposed to be sharing a flat with one of my flatmates after summer for 2nd year, however she decided to inform me a few weeks ago her parents were buying her a one bedroom flat. I then turned to 2 other flatmates who I knew hadn't quite sorted their accommodation out and they were happy to let me live with them.

I spoke with one of them as she was keen to get a private flat which seemed fine, however it looks as though we're only going to be able to get one for a 12 month lease which wasn't ideal however it still works out around £800 cheaper a year doing that. However both of them have now decided they are going to stay in the student accommodation we went to see (which wasn't that nice and they both agreed they weren't keen on it) and its not much cheaper than the halls I'm living in now. Thing is neither of them have thought it through and they are only booking this accommodation because they are panicking that we won't find somewhere when there's tons of flats still available.

Anyone have any ideas how to try talk them back into looking at flats without them panicking about not having anywhere to live next year? I'm just really unhappy paying that amount of money and living somewhere I know I won't be happy.

Thank you

12 month leases are standard for students.

Quick Reply

Latest