The Student Room Group

burned out?

Basically, I'm a beginner at sports of any kind and I went overboard! I assumed that people who did sports just kept pushing past the fatigue in order to gain strength. Life showed me differently when I was so fatigued that I couldn't walk for three days after quite a bit leg-heavy exercise over the last three months, with an increase over the last two weeks (so I guess I couldn't recover in time). It crept up on me by surprise-I was feeling tired but which uni student isn't, and felt the urge to run. Five minutes in I just sort of fell down, completely burned out and over the next few days I went from walking to avoiding putting all weight anywhere altogether. It's the fourth day since then I feel a bit less sore. Any advice how to speed recovery/how long it might take/how to avoid it? I want to go back to playing outside asap! (tomorrow actually)
Reply 1
Doesn't sound healthy, not bearing any weight for three days - "consider seeing a doctor" is the blanket advice I'd give in this situation to cover my ass.

Learn to listen to your body. Rome wasn't built in a day. If you need more rest, take it. These things take time to adapt to.
Five minutes knocking you out for a few days is quite strange, perhaps you are running incorrectly, or have flat feet? A lot of people tend to land on the back of their feet rather than the padding at the front, which means that the knees have to act as shock absorbers, which tends to damage and hurt the legs. Work on your running technique and as Beardbrah said, take your time.
Reply 3
Wow, sorry, my story didn't make any sense at all. I was typing it out whilst kind of freaked out that it was the fourth day and I still felt so sore and wanted advice to speed it up but I feel better now, I feel sore and tired but not physically sick. Basically I went snowboarding a lot this year because I finally got a season pass (where I live there's mountains!) and during our school break I went a few too many times, but it was so fun I didn't realize I was pounding my body to the ground. Afterwards I did bear weight, I walked around those three days but it felt detrimental as each time I did I just collapsed to a crawl soon after and felt sick. Anyways, I'll know not to push that hard again! I just don't know my body's limits and wanted to know how long I should be dead tired for. Clearly one should not overload with physical activity extremely without building up to it properly first! :colondollar:
Reply 4
Original post by Beardbrah
Doesn't sound healthy, not bearing any weight for three days - "consider seeing a doctor" is the blanket advice I'd give in this situation to cover my ass.

Learn to listen to your body. Rome wasn't built in a day. If you need more rest, take it. These things take time to adapt to.

Excellent advice

The recovery is just as important as the workout
Reply 5
sounds like you've just overdone it. Having high protein helps muscle recovery, also a massage and some sports persons have a freezing cold bath after a workout. Melon juice, before a workout can help prevent as much tissue damage too.
Reply 6
Sounds like DOMs to me, I can't walk after leg day either.
Reply 7
Original post by 2ndClass
Sounds like DOMs to me, I can't walk after leg day either.

Don't know why this hadn't occurred to me! I thought of DOMS as something that made you sore but not too unpleasantly But then again, I've never felt really bad DOMS, never been in any sport and gym class isn't intense.
However I've done only light activity for about ten days (riding bike, walking), felt well rested, then I went snowboarding again-and now I have DOMS again two days later. It just feels achier than proportional, as if I had never rested. I usually go once a week and have been on break for two weeks, so I know that would increase achiness but it still doesn't feel proportional. Beforehand I wouldn't ache much because my muscles were used to it. I'm sort of afraid to go snowboarding again without any change in my approach. Advice?
Reply 8
Original post by xox_em
Don't know why this hadn't occurred to me! I thought of DOMS as something that made you sore but not too unpleasantly But then again, I've never felt really bad DOMS, never been in any sport and gym class isn't intense.
However I've done only light activity for about ten days (riding bike, walking), felt well rested, then I went snowboarding again-and now I have DOMS again two days later. It just feels achier than proportional, as if I had never rested. I usually go once a week and have been on break for two weeks, so I know that would increase achiness but it still doesn't feel proportional. Beforehand I wouldn't ache much because my muscles were used to it. I'm sort of afraid to go snowboarding again without any change in my approach. Advice?

Ok first thing you should establish is that the pain isn't localized in a particular area or is coming from your nerves or bones. If that's the case, then it could be more serious, If it's just coming from your legs/quads then you definitely have DOMS and you don't have anything to worry about. Because you took double the break from the last time you went, it's understandable why your muscles might be more sore this time. The same thing happened to me with my recent leg day.

To alleviate it I think you should eat more protein to repair the muscle tissue faster. Either buy protein powder or eat more white meat. I know if I didn't have those two things, the soreness is much worse.

Don't be apprehensive about going. The more you go like you said, the less sore it gets over time.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 9
Original post by 2ndClass
Ok first thing you should establish is that the pain isn't localized in a particular area or is coming from your nerves or bones. If that's the case, then it could be more serious, If it's just coming from your legs/quads then you definitely have DOMS and you don't have anything to worry about. Because you took double the break from the last time you went, it's understandable why your muscles might be more sore this time. The same thing happened to me with my recent leg day.

To alleviate it I think you should eat more protein to repair the muscle tissue faster. Either buy protein powder or eat more white meat. I know if I didn't have those two things, the soreness is much worse.

Don't be apprehensive about going. The more you go like you said, the less sore it gets over time.

Awesome, thanks!
It's definitely DOMS, and I've recently realized how little I've been sleeping. Eating as you described above would definitely help, too.
I wish I had been able to play sports as a child! I never knew I missed out on so much from a rather strict parenting into getting into an instrument. I feel so unknowledgeable, and that I could avoid some damage that I'm definitely doing by going too hard in too little time without experience. Because it's totally fun to play sports! :smile: I'm an adult now so I'm starting to think about taking control of my own health in ways I hadn't been introduced to before.

Quick Reply

Latest