The Student Room Group
Mappin Building
University of Sheffield
Sheffield

Fresher at the University of Sheffield. Ask me anything!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by friendsfan08
Do you know how easy it is to get from Sheffield Uni to the Peak District, to do like walks and climbs and things like that? Is it walkable, or would I have to take a bus or something? And do you know how popular it is for students to head to the Peak District and do climbing or something?

You'd definitely have to take a bus, but people go all the time! Just make sure it's good weather, being caught in rain/snow really sucks :tongue:
Mappin Building
University of Sheffield
Sheffield
Original post by alexschmalex
You'd definitely have to take a bus, but people go all the time! Just make sure it's good weather, being caught in rain/snow really sucks :tongue:

Haha, thank you! Do you know how much the bus costs?
Haha, thank you! Do you know how much the bus costs?

A Student Single with a valid UCard costs £1 per journey for unlimited travel on one single bus route (I think).
I just firmed my Economics offer!! Does anyone know the buildings where I'll be having classes and how close are they to the three campus accommodations?

I'd appreciate any info on how the Economics timetable is and the number of hours per week.
Hi, what stuff do you study in Mechanical engineering in the first year? Is there something about Pelton Wheels?? - Seem to remember that from the open day, but not sure... Thanks
Original post by Mad_Study
I'm waiting for a reply to my clearing application. Meanwhile I was wondering what Hall I should choose. I'm doing chemical engineering. I would like my own toilet.

Hey :smile:
I was just wondering if you went to Sheffield in the end? If so what clearing grades did you get in on? I have applied for ChemEng this year and as exams get closer I get more worried that I wont get the grades :wink:. Also how are you finding the course?
Do you know how easy it is to get from Sheffield Uni to the Peak District, to do like walks and climbs and things like that? Is it walkable, or would I have to take a bus or something? And do you know how popular it is for students to head to the Peak District and do climbing or something?

Hi! I LOVE climbing so naturally I have also been looking into this. It turns out walking/hiking is all grouped under 'mountaineering' on the Sheffield society website :smile:. The club also has their own site which looks INCREDIBLE! I tried to add a link to the page but my post seems to get removed every time I try... (So just Google university of Sheffield mountaineering club and its about the second/third one down :smile:).

Have you been climbing long? :smile: I started this year as there wasn't a wall close enough before that, but I have had to stop now for exams :frown:. I can top rope 6Cs, Lead 5+, boulder V2s and I've got my NICAS level 4... I know its not that impressive but, considering when I started I couldn't even top rope a 5 without needing a rest, I think I have improved quite a bit :wink:.

I don't walk much. I have done bronze and silver D of E and I have my gold qualifying in summer, but that is more for the memories than out of enjoyment of walking :wink:. What about you?
Original post by Brontide
I just firmed my Economics offer!! Does anyone know the buildings where I'll be having classes and how close are they to the three campus accommodations?

I'd appreciate any info on how the Economics timetable is and the number of hours per week.

Hi,

The Economics Department is based on Mappin Street but you are likely to have lectures and seminars across the University. All of our accommodation is within easy walking distance of the main uni buildings, with the furthest (Ranmoor) being about a 30 minute walk. However, because we are not a campus university, the journey from your accommodation to your classes will depend on where your class is being held - for example, the walk from Endcliffe to the Medical School is about 10 minutes, whereas the walk from Broad Lane Court would be about 15 minutes. As a rule City and Central accommodation will be closer to your classes, but it's not always the case! However, as none of our accommodation is particularly far away, it's best to take other considerations (such as the type of room you want) into account too when choosing where you want to live.

Kind regards,

Georgie, Student Communications Team at the University of Sheffield
Thanks for all the information. Do you know anything about how busy the Economics timetable is?
Original post by Freddiejw
Hi, what stuff do you study in Mechanical engineering in the first year? Is there something about Pelton Wheels?? - Seem to remember that from the open day, but not sure... Thanks

You will take modules in basic mechanics, mathematics, matter flow and energy, design, manufacturing techniques, and engineering applications in the first year. In your second year you will take modules in heat transfer, electric circuits, finance and law, mechanics of solids, design of components, design of structures and machines, mathematics of engineering modelling, computational and numerical methods, vibrations, fluid dynamics, materials processing, and management. Nothing specifically on pelton wheels though.
Thanks for all the information. Do you know anything about how busy the Economics timetable is?

Hey there, just saw this and I've just finished my first year at Sheffield studying Economics. You'll be in about 12-14 hours a week which includes your lectures, workshops, and tutorials, although your tutorials probably won't start until the 3rd week or so. Assuming you're living in Endcliffe, it's about a 20 minute walk to most of your lectures. Generally you'll only have 1 or 2 lectures a day, although the way my second semester timetable worked out meant that I had 5 hours on Tuesday.

Any more questions feel free to PM me, I have a lot of spare time now that I've finished and I could definitely give you unbiased answers to most of your questions as Sheffield wasn't actually my firm choice!
Hey not sure if this is the right thread but I've just read through it all and you all seem so nice and helpful with accommodation questions so - if I applied to live in halls (2016 entry) would the fact I'm a local candidate (30-40 min bus ride away from the uni) go against me? Is it just those who can't commute who are prioritised for halls?

Thanks in advance!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Rlove95
That's good and yeah it seems like people have had all sorts of different experiences.

Hmm I was pretty certain that I was going to at least go to one event since it looked like fun from the promo videos but I don't think I'm going to go anymore since from what I've heard, it doesn't sound any good. Yeah I think I might do that. Thanks for the advice :biggrin:

Just a question....how did you know who your flatmates were before you moved in? how did you find them on fb too?
Reply 233
Where can I find the underground raves? :smile:
Reply 234
Original post by udeenarose
Just a question....how did you know who your flatmates were before you moved in? how did you find them on fb too?

Hey, once you're allocated your specific accommodation (block, flat and room) after results day, most people go on fb to find their flatmates. This year they had fb groups dedicated to people trying to find their flatmates and loads of people post on the firmers pages anyway. We managed to find 8/10 of our flat on fb, and it was nice to be able to talk to them a bit before we moved in - made it slightly less awkward for the first day.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 235
Hi, I'll be 17 for the first couple of months at uni and was wondering how much this would affect my student experience? How strict are bars around Sheffield on ID? Thanks :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by bcmh
Hi, I'll be 17 for the first couple of months at uni and was wondering how much this would affect my student experience? How strict are bars around Sheffield on ID? Thanks :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Same here 😊
Original post by bcmh

Posted from TSR Mobile

Same here 😊

Depends on where you are and how you look, but uni bars/clubs only look at student ID so you'll be absolutely fine at those. Otherwise if you're in the city centre or on west street you're going to get ID'd, if you're at one of the pubs in Broomhill then it's somewhat hit and miss.
Just got back from the open day, seems like the mech eng course focuses on lab experiments rather than design and make activities. What facilities and oppurtunities are there in terms of making your own stuff i.e lathes and milling machines? thanks
Original post by ben.wilko
Just got back from the open day, seems like the mech eng course focuses on lab experiments rather than design and make activities. What facilities and oppurtunities are there in terms of making your own stuff i.e lathes and milling machines? thanks

I don't do mechanical but I do aero which has a decent bit of crossover and one of my flatmates is 2nd year mech, but from what I've heard there's not much opportunity to make your own stuff, at least in the first couple of years of the course. I remember he made a vice but I can't think of anything else. You might be able to do some stuff in Formula Student and Simurq but you don't get to do anything particularly hands on until the middle of semester 2 with those.

To be honest it's not a very hands on course, but then it's an engineering degree at a non-vocational university so it's going to be more academic and theoretical.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending