The Student Room Group
Mappin Building
University of Sheffield
Sheffield

Fresher at the University of Sheffield. Ask me anything!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by HelloworI've 95
I don't do mechanical but I do aero which has a decent bit of crossover and one of my flatmates is 2nd year mech, but from what I've heard there's not much opportunity to make your own stuff, at least in the first couple of years of the course. I remember he made a vice but I can't think of anything else. You might be able to do some stuff in Formula Student and Simurq but you don't get to do anything particularly hands on until the middle of semester 2 with those.

To be honest it's not a very hands on course, but then it's an engineering degree at a non-vocational university so it's going to be more academic and theoretical.

Okay thankyou, ive been to bath and nottingham and they both have workshops that you can have access to 9-5 every day of the week. I understand its not a btec in becoming a machine technician I'd just like to get more experience with and have access to these kinda things
thanks anyway :smile:
Mappin Building
University of Sheffield
Sheffield
Original post by ben.wilko
Okay thankyou, ive been to bath and nottingham and they both have workshops that you can have access to 9-5 every day of the week. I understand its not a btec in becoming a machine technician I'd just like to get more experience with and have access to these kinda things
thanks anyway :smile:

Thinking about it in aero we do have the IPO workshop, which gives me a feeling there might be something more substantial for the mechanical engineers. As for getting more experience the guys who run the engineering applications workshop seem like friendly people, wouldn't hurt to ask if you could get some more practice with them.
Original post by Helloworld_95
Thinking about it in aero we do have the IPO workshop, which gives me a feeling there might be something more substantial for the mechanical engineers. As for getting more experience the guys who run the engineering applications workshop seem like friendly people, wouldn't hurt to ask if you could get some more practice with them.

ah okay, cheers.
It hasn't put me off or anything, still planning on applying assuming my AS results are alright. If I get an offer I'll get to go back and get a proper look round as the new Diamond building will be open by then
Hi,
I am varun from INDIA and i have received my offers from University of Sheffield and Surrey for MSc Information Systems and from University of Nottingham in MSc. Information systems and Operation management. Which of these three universities has the best ranking, facility and university life for post graduates. Furthermore, i would like u to help me in deciding on these universities based on various aspects like, teaching quality, reputation and recognition etc... I want an unbiased opinion as this is going to decide my future..

If at al i had to choose between Sheffield and Surrey and Nottingham,, which of these would be your choice.?

Thank you in advance.
Original post by angellec
Hey not sure if this is the right thread but I've just read through it all and you all seem so nice and helpful with accommodation questions so - if I applied to live in halls (2016 entry) would the fact I'm a local candidate (30-40 min bus ride away from the uni) go against me? Is it just those who can't commute who are prioritised for halls?

Thanks in advance!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Can't see if you've had an answer for this yet, but there's no priority for distance away. I live closer to the uni than you do and had no problems last year.
Original post by Dusky Mauve
Can't see if you've had an answer for this yet, but there's no priority for distance away. I live closer to the uni than you do and had no problems last year.

Thanks!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 246
Hi guys,

I'm trying to decide whether or not I should buy my freshers' tickets now, or just get them when I arrive at University and see what my flatmates are doing. But I don't want to be the only one without a ticket to all the big events. Is there a wristband I can get that lets me go to all the major ones, such as, Icebreaker, Fck me it's freshers, Moving in Party and the freshers' Zoo?

Or, if any of you guys are going, maybe we could go as a group?

Thanks!
Original post by rubaabm
Hi guys,

I'm trying to decide whether or not I should buy my freshers' tickets now, or just get them when I arrive at University and see what my flatmates are doing. But I don't want to be the only one without a ticket to all the big events. Is there a wristband I can get that lets me go to all the major ones, such as, Icebreaker, Fck me it's freshers, Moving in Party and the freshers' Zoo?

Or, if any of you guys are going, maybe we could go as a group?

Thanks!

Id suggest finding your flat mates on the Facebook freshers pages. If you can't do that, don't buy anything in advance. None of my flat mates did and we managed to get tickets for everything still.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 248
Yeah, that sounds like a good idea. Did you manage to get tickets to the big events? Because according to their advertisements on facebook, they say that they always sell out first week of September?

Can you give me the link to any freshers' pages?

Thanks!
Hi I'm starting a psychology degree in sept as a mature student and I will living at home. I really want to make the most of freshers and because I look pretty young for my age I should blend in ok on the nights out.

I can't decide if I should buy any tickets in advance as I won't actually be on campus until the monday 21st so it would be a bit weird .. and expensive to just rock up on my own the weekend before when I don't know anyone. That said I won't know any one on the monday apart from a few people I may meet at the registration meeting. Can anyone give me any advise on what's best to do. I don't have facebook btw.

Thanks
Hey, so ill be 17 at freshers week, is there a point in my even buying tickets for freshers events if they will turn me down at the door, how does it work?will I get a separate wristband? Thanks so much in advance
Original post by katt123
Hey, so ill be 17 at freshers week, is there a point in my even buying tickets for freshers events if they will turn me down at the door, how does it work?will I get a separate wristband? Thanks so much in advance

You should be able to get into events run by the uni as you use your UCard for those, you likely won't be able to go elsewhere though, you could try your luck with your UCard but it's hit, miss, miss and miss.

A lot of the good parts of freshers are just sitting in a bar/pub (shouldn't be a problem) or flat parties so you won't miss out on too much if you can't go clubbing.
Original post by cckykat
Hi I'm starting a psychology degree in sept as a mature student and I will living at home. I really want to make the most of freshers and because I look pretty young for my age I should blend in ok on the nights out.

I can't decide if I should buy any tickets in advance as I won't actually be on campus until the monday 21st so it would be a bit weird .. and expensive to just rock up on my own the weekend before when I don't know anyone. That said I won't know any one on the monday apart from a few people I may meet at the registration meeting. Can anyone give me any advise on what's best to do. I don't have facebook btw.

Thanks

Hey,

I'm doing psychology too, and I've seen a few mature students doing it too. We have a group chat with about 80 people on facebook, I know you haven't got facebook but we were planning to meet to go to registration and the intro lectures and you're more than welcome to join :smile:

We will probably be going out for drinks too after one of the registration things and again you're welcome to join :biggrin:
Original post by rubaabm
Yeah, that sounds like a good idea. Did you manage to get tickets to the big events? Because according to their advertisements on facebook, they say that they always sell out first week of September?

Can you give me the link to any freshers' pages?

Thanks!

Yeah, they just try and and scare you so you'll buy them in advance and they have money in their pockets. Best thing to do is act fast as soon as all your flatmates have arrived, and buy up for the week.

Just have a quick look on Facebook, I'm sure you'll find one. The official one is where most people found their flatmates last year.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by melissadawson
Hey,

I'm doing psychology too, and I've seen a few mature students doing it too. We have a group chat with about 80 people on facebook, I know you haven't got facebook but we were planning to meet to go to registration and the intro lectures and you're more than welcome to join :smile:

We will probably be going out for drinks too after one of the registration things and again you're welcome to join :biggrin:

Hi yes Sounds great thankyou! Are you meeting at any particular place or time or just at the registration?

Kate
Original post by cckykat
Hi yes Sounds great thankyou! Are you meeting at any particular place or time or just at the registration?

Kate

I'm not 100% sure but I'll message you on here closer to the time. Most likely we'll probably meet up at Endcliffe to walk down so you can meet there or at the octagon :smile:
Original post by melissadawson
I'm not 100% sure but I'll message you on here closer to the time. Most likely we'll probably meet up at Endcliffe to walk down so you can meet there or at the octagon :smile:

hi that's great thanks!
Anyone in Pickering House / Sheffield 2?
Asking for my brother who has been put with postgrads and is a fresher, so isn't best pleased. Can't find any Facebook accommodation pages either, anyone know of any.
Thanks very much, Adam

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending