The Student Room Group
Mappin Building
University of Sheffield
Sheffield

Fresher at the University of Sheffield. Ask me anything!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by .snowflake.
It's up to you my lovely. The 'student experience' is living in halls in your first year, and Sheffield does sort of 'look after you' in your first year, with residential mentors and things.

So you don't think I'd be missing out on much living in the city I've grown up in?
Also, I go to a sixth form near Endcliffe Village, and I get the bus from the city centre to there every day. I've noticed that most students are walking the opposite way while I'm on the bus - do people not think it's a long way to walk? :/

Original post by Folion
You could stay in Sheffield and live in Uni accommodation. My son is local but is living in Ranmoor this year. I think they do accomm for couples there too although it might depend on the status of your relationship IDK. Anyway look into it as you may be able to get the best of both worlds :smile:

I don't think he'd like to go back into student accommodation to be honest :') He'd stay living at his parents if I was in halls. Does your son feel like he's missed out on anything having come from Sheffield?
Mappin Building
University of Sheffield
Sheffield
Original post by Dusky Mauve
So you don't think I'd be missing out on much living in the city I've grown up in?
Also, I go to a sixth form near Endcliffe Village, and I get the bus from the city centre to there every day. I've noticed that most students are walking the opposite way while I'm on the bus - do people not think it's a long way to walk? :/

You must be at Notre Dame, or... King Edwards (??) then. It's actually not that long a walk. Takes half an hour, or 25 mins at your OH PANTS I'M LAAAAAAAAAAAAATE pace. But the walk was nice, wakes you up a bit, and there's a costa on the way = caffeine!!
You must be at Notre Dame, or... King Edwards (??) then. It's actually not that long a walk. Takes half an hour, or 25 mins at your OH PANTS I'M LAAAAAAAAAAAAATE pace. But the walk was nice, wakes you up a bit, and there's a costa on the way = caffeine!!

Close, but not quite :wink: Don't post the name but it's right next door to one of those two :L
Omg I'm gunna spend so much on Costa if I live there :') It just strikes me as a really boring walk :') Might get me fit though!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Close, but not quite :wink: Don't post the name but it's right next door to one of those two :L
Omg I'm gunna spend so much on Costa if I live there :') It just strikes me as a really boring walk :') Might get me fit though!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Oh, I did spend so much on costa... I'm not so bad this year, mainly because I'm constantly late, and going to costa means walking away from uni first. The walk back will get you fit. Sheffield y u so many hills?
Oh, I did spend so much on costa... I'm not so bad this year, mainly because I'm constantly late, and going to costa means walking away from uni first. The walk back will get you fit. Sheffield y u so many hills?

Do you not have to walk through Broomhill?
Ikr?? Think I might have to hop on the 51 once or twice...
I walked all the way home from sixth form once. Never again. I thought I was feeling energetic, and it was nice weather. It took me an hour and ten minutes and I literally fell through the door :L

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 85
Original post by SnakehipsTTC
I've just stumbled across this site after months of inactivity due to being extremely busy at university. I remember how would have loved to see a thread like this when I was applying, so thought I may as well make one!

A bit about myself: I'm a first year studying mechanical engineering, and currently living in Endliffe accommodation in a mixed sex flat of 10. I took a gap year before i came here, as did many of the people in my block, and I absolutely love it here! I am also doing some accommodation tours at the moment so if you get a tall skinny guy showing you around it may well be me!

If you have any questions about the application process, accommodation, uni-life, living on your own, taking a gap year or anything else related just ask and I'll do my best to answer. :smile:

Probably one of the best things about Sheffield for me seems to be the personal tutor which you meet in groups of 4 twice a week.
Do you think that really makes a big difference? does it really help you with your course?
Original post by vis.mir
Probably one of the best things about Sheffield for me seems to be the personal tutor which you meet in groups of 4 twice a week.
Do you think that really makes a big difference? does it really help you with your course?

Seeing you personal tutor every week in your first year really does help. IMHO, as you get to know them, they get to know you and if things go tits up, you feel you're able to tell them. I wouldn't feel the same way if I only saw mine once a semester or so.
Reply 87
Wow. This thread literally made me go through a whirlwind of emotions because I declined Sheffield but I wanted to know what I was going to be missing out on.
Reply 88

I don't think he'd like to go back into student accommodation to be honest :') He'd stay living at his parents if I was in halls. Does your son feel like he's missed out on anything having come from Sheffield?

Although we're "local" like only about 6 miles away he hasn't really grown up in Sheffield, in fact, didn't really know Sheffield at all. It's kind of been an eye opener to him in many respects as he's now seen things he didn't know were on our doorstep. I was much similar back in my day as I went to a "local" Uni but previously knew the area well(ish). I found that being a student I discovered things that I didn't know were there and saw a new dimension to the place. I don't think you'll lose out because you'll be in new situations, meeting new people and looking at the place through different eyes.
Does anyone here know anything about
English and French courses? Really interested
in studying in Sheffield, but need to know
more basically! Also, thanks to everyone
contributing previously, so helpful to read
about accommodation etc..
Original post by cjexx
Hey! I'm a fresher at Notts but I'm looking to transfer to sheffield for my 2nd year. I want to be living in the city centre, I was just wondering what the student nights are like? In notts the unis are very segregated, like trent have their student nights, and we have ours, both at different clubs!

I've heard a lot about Nottingham nightlife and that it's easy to have a proper crusty one. Sheffield is great, of course the union nights are only uni-of students, but all the other major clubs and bars (corp, plug, leadmill etc) have a good mis of both unis. I must say though the ones on Carver street tend to fill with hallam people and certain nights at clubs are predominantly hallam too, and plug seems to have a really mixed bag. You just gotta explore it and see for yourself! :smile:
Original post by Rlove95
I'm not sure if someone's asked this already but how was freshers week like? Did the uni put on good events or was it all just a bit awkward? I heard of something calling "Sheffield Parties?" is that mainly for Hallam students and are the events they put on any good? I'm just curious to how the general week was like, I'm pretty nervous because I'm sure that freshers week is going to be the hardest time for me adjusting to being so far away (I'm just 3 hours but I've always lived down South so moving up North seems so major to me) It doesn't help that my birthday is like four days after freshers week starts so I'm most likely going to be spending it with strangers while missing my family (I doubt they would make the journey up twice that week)

Freshers week is an absolute mixed bag. me and my flat instantly gelled on the first night and have been great friends ever since, and it was never really awkward. The general week was drinking every night and doing all the freshers events and signing up during the day, and was absolutely exhausting

As for nights, DON'T do sheffield parties. It's expensive and full of Hallam people in bad clubs. We went to a paint party in Leadmill which is still one of the best nights out I've had, and the beach party in the union on the first day, plus others during the week. Go to corp on the wednesday and pop tarts on the saturday. Try to organise something with your flat over facebook before you all meet like we did. Any other questions then please ask.

As for nights, DON'T do sheffield parties. It's expensive and full of Hallam people in bad clubs. We went to a paint party in Leadmill which is still one of the best nights out I've had, and the beach party in the union on the first day, plus others during the week. Go to corp on the wednesday and pop tarts on the saturday. Try to organise something with your flat over facebook before you all meet like we did. Any other questions then please ask.

^ this. Admittedly, I'm in my second year, and haven't yet braved Corp! But POPPY TEES. YES. <3 it.
Original post by Grammar Kid
Hi, Im hoping to apply for Sheffield through clearing for Archaeology as I was unable to apply this year due to a number of factors... As i would of course I would get little choice on accommodation (as im going through clearing) I was wondering do you know what is the least popular accommodation and what is it like :biggrin:

Also how accepting are Sheffield for people who take a year out If it comes to that (I realize you did so they must be alright to some extent :biggrin:)

Ranmoor is absolutely fine as accommodation, and that's what you'd be put in if you go through clearing. I would say take a year out though, if you do you'll be put with many other people who did year outs, and I think just generally they're a more mature and fun bunch of people! A year out working then travelling is a rare thing you'll only ever get before and after uni, so i would say take it and start planning it! You won't regret it!
Original post by vis.mir

It depends on your tutor. Mine is terrible, he doesn't set us goals and deadlines for tut sheets, and doesn't really know anything apart from fluid and thermodynamics, and doesn't know anything about the course. Ugh. Other people i know have fantastic ones and find them really helpful!
^ this. Admittedly, I'm in my second year, and haven't yet braved Corp! But POPPY TEES. YES. <3 it.

I'm amazed you haven't been to corp yet! I love it to pieces and is great if you want to get absolutely legless for a crusty night out. Three floors of pure filth, shame, and regret. I still have a scar on my shin from one night there. Am I selling it to you?? :wink:
I'm amazed you haven't been to corp yet! I love it to pieces and is great if you want to get absolutely legless for a crusty night out. Three floors of pure filth, shame, and regret. I still have a scar on my shin from one night there. Am I selling it to you?? :wink:

Haha. Not really. I didn't go in my first year because I had a 9am on a thurs. This year I have a 9-5 lab session, and being hungover =/= bad idea.
Original post by Scholes04
Hi hoping somebody can help!
I've applied for Sheffield and hoping to stray in September and my school have just advertised a Microsoft office pack, I've bought it and I'm trying to decide which version to download, 2010 or 2013. Which version do the uni computers have? I would like to get 2013 but if the uni computers are on 2010 I'm not sure whether I'll be able to transfer work across? Any help appreciated!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Uni computers have the 2013 version, but you can transfer work across from 2010 anyway.
How do people get back to Endcliffe after a night out?? Taxi??

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hi, I was wondering if you knew anyone who lives in Sheffield, but not in student accommodation. So, at home or with other people? I'm debating between Loughborough and Sheffield, but if I were to stay in Sheffield, I'd move into a city centre flat with my boyfriend.

Or would student accommodation first year and living with him second year be better?

I'm really torn between moving away or being in Sheffield and close to my boyfriend and family :frown:

My entire social life at uni is based around the halls I live in, but I'm sure if you get really involved in some societies then it'll okay. I personally think you should go for halls, 2 girls in my flat have their boyfriends come over to stay a weekend quite often and they have a roaring social life too. This just for Sheffield though, why not live in halls in sheffield and see him often?

Quick Reply

Latest