The Student Room Group
Mappin Building
University of Sheffield
Sheffield

Fresher at the University of Sheffield. Ask me anything!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Lakesx
Hi I am thinking about applying to Architecture for the 2015 course, I was just wondering what you thought of Sheffield as a place?
I have been born and bred in the heart of London, so I have mixed feelings about moving up north... Does it ever get a bit boring being so secluded? Is there much to do?:biggrin:Thanks!

I think Sheffield is the 4th largest city in the country or something, so there is plenty to do! Might not be as exotic as London but I'd definitely say it's nice. Manchester and Leeds are only like £5 and an hour away so I wouldn't call it secluded either. I personally like how Sheffield is big and populous without being overwhelmingly hectic like I find London. For you it might be pretty boring but I'd easily recommend it to anyone
Mappin Building
University of Sheffield
Sheffield
Original post by alexschmalex
I think Sheffield is the 4th largest city in the country or something, so there is plenty to do! Might not be as exotic as London but I'd definitely say it's nice. Manchester and Leeds are only like £5 and an hour away so I wouldn't call it secluded either. I personally like how Sheffield is big and populous without being overwhelmingly hectic like I find London. For you it might be pretty boring but I'd easily recommend it to anyone

Hmm that's true... It might be nice to get away from the bustle of London. Did you study at Sheffield? Thanks for the reply!
Reply 142
Original post by SnakehipsTTC
In our flat there was a 22 year old and a 20 year old, but incidentally they have both now dropped out!

lol, a tad freaky eh?
Original post by Lakesx
Hmm that's true... It might be nice to get away from the bustle of London. Did you study at Sheffield? Thanks for the reply!

Studying here atm, and except for the hills, I love the place (the studying, not as much haha)
Studying here atm, and except for the hills, I love the place (the studying, not as much haha)

Oh okay, that's good! What are you reading at Sheffield? Also do you have an tips or advice about the Uni? Thanks!
Original post by Lakesx
Oh okay, that's good! What are you reading at Sheffield? Also do you have an tips or advice about the Uni? Thanks!

Doing mechanical engineering. As for tips, just the usual staying on top of your work and paying attention in class stuff. It really helps save a ton of stress before exam periods and if you're organized you'll have plenty of time to have a social life and get enough sleep too :P Most of all just have fun!
Firmed for politics. My main concern is that I just have a bad day in an exam and mess up, do you know if they are lenient with letting people in if they just miss their offer? Cheers!
Original post by tomwatts23
Firmed for politics. My main concern is that I just have a bad day in an exam and mess up, do you know if they are lenient with letting people in if they just miss their offer? Cheers!

Loads of people ask this, the reality is that most of their courses end up going into clearing, where they end up lowering their offer grades by at least one. (eg. AAB to ABB) so my guess is that you could afford one grade lower than their offer.

You'll eventually get used to the hills! I promise!
Hi everyone,

I am struggle to decide on choosing accommodation, thus I need some advices!
I will be studying physics and astrophysics in this Sep and I dunno whether I should choose Endcliffe or Opal 2.
I love the environment of endcliffe as it looks comfortable but the distance is a big concern.
I know the benefits of opal2 but I wonder how is the life going on exactly in opal2, many people say that it is less social and isolated, is that really bad? anyone living there? please tell me more about there.

Thanks a lot
Original post by Aaron080
Hi everyone,

I will be studying physics and astrophysics in this Sep and I dunno whether I should choose Endcliffe or Opal 2.
I love the environment of endcliffe as it looks comfortable but the distance is a big concern.
I know the benefits of opal2 but I wonder how is the life going on exactly in opal2, many people say that it is less social and isolated, is that really bad? anyone living there? please tell me more about there.

Thanks a lot

The distance between Endcliffe and uni is really not that bad, you just get used to it. I honestly think that would be a poor reason not to apply there. Plus you can always move closer to uni in second year, which is what most people do. You have to decide whether you want a year of walking for ~40 minutes a day or a year of possibly not having much of a social life. That being said, Opal isn't as isolated as people make out. I know a few people who live there and they have just as much of a social life as anyone living in Endcliffe or Ranmoor
Original post by Aaron080
Hi everyone,

Thanks a lot

Choose Endcliffe, without a doubt. Endcliffe is a much nicer environment, much more sociable, far more facilities, etc. Opal isn't terrible, however the environment is not as attractive, there are far fewer facilities, and it does tend to be quite quiet. My friend lived there last year and found it unsociable compared to Endcliffe/Ranmoor.

Admittedly, the distance from Opal to central campus is around 5-10 minutes, whereas Endcliffe is 20, but this is a small sacrifice (in my opinion) to live in Endcliffe. You will almost certainly always walk into uni with flatmates/coursemates, so the journey time is not a problem.
What are the best societies to join ? In terms of making friends.
Out of curiosity, what's the internet situation like? I've heard lots of stories of how bad Uni internet tends to be in general and was just wondering if they have any filters or restrictions on what you can do and access.
Much appreciated :smile:
Original post by ribbonrebel31
Out of curiosity, what's the internet situation like? I've heard lots of stories of how bad Uni internet tends to be in general and was just wondering if they have any filters or restrictions on what you can do and access.
Much appreciated :smile:

The internet where I live (Opal 2) is just fine, plenty fast for HD youtube and pretty much whatever else you'd wanna do with it. I've never had any filters/restrictions on it, must've torrented a few hundred gigs of movies/shows/music/comics (don't tell anyone :tongue:) and never had a problem! I'm assuming it's the same in Endcliffe and Ranmoor
The internet where I live (Opal 2) is just fine, plenty fast for HD youtube and pretty much whatever else you'd wanna do with it. I've never had any filters/restrictions on it, must've torrented a few hundred gigs of movies/shows/music/comics (don't tell anyone :tongue:) and never had a problem! I'm assuming it's the same in Endcliffe and Ranmoor

Oh, brilliant, that's good to know, thanks a lot!

Also, do you live in self catered or catered accommodation? I'm going into self catered accommodation and just wanted to know what it was like at first? It's a bit of an invasive question, but I just have no idea where people get the money to buy food and such. The most obvious one is saving up money from a job over the summer, but I'm still in the process of looking and only have about five grand in 'emergency savings' in my account. If you live in self catered, how did you deal with the food costs? Does the University offer any impartial financial aid in that respect? If so, is it usually only for students from low income families?
I've been trying to wrap my head around it and aside from finally finding a job and/or asking my parents for a food allowance each week/month, I can't figure out how else I'd be able to pay for it all :s-smilie:

Again, thanks so much for replying!
Oh, brilliant, that's good to know, thanks a lot!

Also, do you live in self catered or catered accommodation? I'm going into self catered accommodation and just wanted to know what it was like at first? It's a bit of an invasive question, but I just have no idea where people get the money to buy food and such. The most obvious one is saving up money from a job over the summer, but I'm still in the process of looking and only have about five grand in 'emergency savings' in my account. If you live in self catered, how did you deal with the food costs? Does the University offer any impartial financial aid in that respect? If so, is it usually only for students from low income families?
I've been trying to wrap my head around it and aside from finally finding a job and/or asking my parents for a food allowance each week/month, I can't figure out how else I'd be able to pay for it all :s-smilie:

Again, thanks so much for replying!

No problem! I'm self catered, and since my parents have me cook my own meals for a while before going to uni it wasn't actually that bad. Actually buying the food is something else tho, requires a lot of self control. Even though I don't buy much other than food, the first few months were rough because I was buying too much stuff I don't need (£50-60/month on Pringles alone :colondollar:)

I think if you're just smart about what you buy, like buying larger packets and saving it, buying from local butchers instead of stores, going to the co-op and things like that, you should be fine. I don't know about the financial aid for food so I can't tell you anything for sure, but if you ask the student services here, I'm sure they can give you all the details :smile: This is their link: http://www.shef.ac.uk/ssid/contacts/ssid, they're super helpful so give them a call or email!
Can anyone shed any light on the shared bathroom accommodation of Endcliffe? I have opted for shared bathroom as I simply can't afford en-suite. What kind of reputation do the different halls have?
Thanks again for answering my questions! Would you happen to know what date unconditional offer holders find out where their accommodation is? I think last year it was around July 18th?
Thanks again for answering my questions! Would you happen to know what date unconditional offer holders find out where their accommodation is? I think last year it was around July 18th?

Once a place has been confirmed, we will email you that day to tell you of the next steps! you will have everything in time for intro week from 20th September onwards.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending