The Student Room Group
Mappin Building
University of Sheffield
Sheffield

Fresher at the University of Sheffield. Ask me anything!

Scroll to see replies

I'm waiting for a reply to my clearing application. Meanwhile I was wondering what Hall I should choose. I'm doing chemical engineering. I would like my own toilet.
Mappin Building
University of Sheffield
Sheffield
Both Ranmoor and Endcliffe Village offer en suite and shared facilities, it just depends on your budget and preference. Once your place is confirmed, you can apply online https://www.shef.ac.uk/online-accommodation/loginStart.do
If I had Sheffield as my insurance choice but applied for accommodationbefore the deadline when will I find out if I have a place?
Hi, just a quick question. I have seen on Facebook pages that clubs are selling freshers tickets already. Would you recommend getting them as they say you will miss out or do you get all your tickets when you are there? Thanks
Original post by The University of Sheffield
Both Ranmoor and Endcliffe Village offer en suite and shared facilities, it just depends on your budget and preference. Once your place is confirmed, you can apply online https://www.shef.ac.uk/online-accommodation/loginStart.do

Hi,

I just got offered a place for computer systems engineering and know nothing about sheffield or its uni. I have heard good things but am unsure how accomodation works.

Is Sheffield a campus uni?
Where is the building(s) I would be in for my subject?
Is accomodation available/ where would it be?

I would appreciate if you could point me in the right direction, as I don't know where to start.

Thanks in advance.
Reply 165
Original post by momanium
Hi,

Is Sheffield a campus uni?
Where is the building(s) I would be in for my subject?
Is accomodation available/ where would it be?

All the uni buildings in Sheffield are really close together but it isn't actually a campus university.
For Computer Systems Engineering, (part of the ACSE department) you'd be mainly having lectures in St. George's Church and your lab sessions would be in the building next door.
There are 3 main accommodation areas; Endcliffe Ranmoor and City. Endcliffe and Ranmoor are student villages about 20 minutes from your engineering buildings and that's where most first years live. City is a few buildings right on the outside of the main city and they're only about 3 minutes walk on a morning.
Do we need to bring our own cable to connect to the internet or is it wifi!?
Original post by kateprice_
Do we need to bring our own cable to connect to the internet or is it wifi!?

It's wifi but you should also be provided with an ethernet cable so you can plug into the internet too :smile:
Original post by caroline_penn
Hi, just a quick question. I have seen on Facebook pages that clubs are selling freshers tickets already. Would you recommend getting them as they say you will miss out or do you get all your tickets when you are there? Thanks

I would say don't bother! These clubs try and scare you into buying a ton of tickets before you get there. Most people wait until they meet their flatmates and decide what to do as a group :smile:
Original post by P-Rex
All the uni buildings in Sheffield are really close together but it isn't actually a campus university.
For Computer Systems Engineering, (part of the ACSE department) you'd be mainly having lectures in St. George's Church and your lab sessions would be in the building next door.
There are 3 main accommodation areas; Endcliffe Ranmoor and City. Endcliffe and Ranmoor are student villages about 20 minutes from your engineering buildings and that's where most first years live. City is a few buildings right on the outside of the main city and they're only about 3 minutes walk on a morning.

Hi,

Thanks for the reply, much appreciated.

I am having trouble finding the engineering building you mentioned, did you mean saint Marks church (which isnt on the recent map but I found it on an older map). The saint georges buildings dont have one called church?

In terms of accomodation, which one do you recommend for me and do you know if they have any current spaces for clearing applicants. Surely if city is 3 mins away its best?

Do you know anything about the eee department, are they any good?
Reply 170
Original post by momanium
Hi,

Thanks for the reply, much appreciated.

I am having trouble finding the engineering building you mentioned, did you mean saint Marks church (which isnt on the recent map but I found it on an older map). The saint georges buildings dont have one called church?

In terms of accomodation, which one do you recommend for me and do you know if they have any current spaces for clearing applicants. Surely if city is 3 mins away its best?

Do you know anything about the eee department, are they any good?

St. George's was previously a church but is now used as a lecture theater. On this map, the buildings you're likely to use are 183, 164, 170 and 177.

Endcliffe and Ranmoor house the majority of students and have the more "student atmosphere", but city is very convenient so its up to you.

This year I had 1 module from the EEE department and I thought it was very good. Interesting course content and 2 decent practicals
How many clubs/societies are you guys apart of/regularly attend? I'm currently interested in about 3'- 4 and by the looks of things they're all at different times of the week, but do you think doing this many is reasonable at all?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 172
Original post by ribbonrebel31
How many clubs/societies are you guys apart of/regularly attend? I'm currently interested in about 3'- 4 and by the looks of things they're all at different times of the week, but do you think doing this many is reasonable at all?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Sounds good! There's an activities and societies fair at the start of term so check that out. I can't really say how many you can handle as its different for every person but try a few out and if you have to drop them its fine
Reply 173
is it worth getting a bus pass while at sheffield?
Original post by rosierm
is it worth getting a bus pass while at sheffield?

It depends on how much you plan on getting the bus! Where are you living in your first year? Most students walk to uni together from Endcliffe and Ranmoor (which is a great way of making new course friends!). The student bus fare is only £1 anyway, so unless you planning on using the bus a lot, I would say not to bother :smile:
Original post by ribbonrebel31

Posted from TSR Mobile

Depends on your timetable and how many hours the society requires really. I only properly kept with one, but a sport society, which was like ~4 hours on a Sunday, but then started doing a couple of hours during the week for squad training, and match hours if you end up involved in those. I'd imagine for most that two societies would be quite reasonable to keep up with, and if you actually have a bit more flexible time (arts course) then you can probably do another one or two easily enough. It really just depends on the hours and how everything fits together. I probably would've tried a couple more but they just didn't fit with my timetable. I joined my course society too, but that wasn't much commitment as the events weren't a regular thing like every week.

Certainly it's something to make the most of though so if you want to do them all, and can, sure!
What's the walk like from Ranmoor? I have feet problems which means I can't actually remain on my feet too long, or walk extremely quickly, but my main concern is the hills...
I'm unsure whether to get a bus pass or not... I suppose I'll see when I'm there
Original post by ThirdSnowLeopard
What's the walk like from Ranmoor? I have feet problems which means I can't actually remain on my feet too long, or walk extremely quickly, but my main concern is the hills...
I'm unsure whether to get a bus pass or not... I suppose I'll see when I'm there

Hi,

It takes about half an hour at a normal walking pace and is downhill on the way to the main University buildings. The hill isn't steep, more of a gentle incline, so the walk back up isn't too bad either.

Buses cost a flat rate of £1 per journey for students, so it's not too pricey if you feel like hopping on after a long day of lectures, or if you're running a bit late. There is a bus stop on the main road just next to Ranmoor.

Best wishes,

Georgie, Student Communications Team at the University of Sheffield
Hi! :hello:

I just wonder which accommodation is the closest to Psychology department?
hi, I was wondering what's the policy for having guests staying over for a night in halls? do you have to ask/tell anyone or can they just stay?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending