The Student Room Group

do small classes make A level life boring?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Bobjim12
hi, for A levels i want to do (top 4):

philosophy (compulsory)
further maths
maths
spanish.

2 of 4 of those class will have between 1-maybe 8 students, dependent on any students coming from other schools..

so for someone who wants to do 2 unpopular A levels, does A level life get boring?

i thought of taking a 5th, physics, as it is quite popular BUT it will also help my bid to get onto a computer science course, so i'm not just doing it for my friends!!!

so i guess my 2nd question is, is it worth to do all 3; maths, further and physics or is it too much of a workload?

In my English class there are 9 of us and it's probably the most fun as we have all bonded and have banter etc - so I enjoy those lessons :yep:
Reply 21
For A-levels, forget social life. Wait until university, study first.
Reply 22
IMO Yesssss I do a2 french and i love the subject but at AS was just me and one other girl and she doesn't like it and now this year it's just me and the teacher and a part of me dies every time I walk towards the languages department, got 95% at AS though and predicted A* this year hut very boring and i usually thrive over healthy competition during class so studying is such a chore in french :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 23
So if i were to do thos 5ASs/4A2s would it be too much work? i quite enjoy all those subjects so motivation to study will be there..
There may be only two or three of us in our Japanese class next year, and I can't wait! I love small classes!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 25
Not in my opinion, I wish I had smaller classes tbh
hmm. i still think that i could manage it, as further and maths are complimentary, Spanish is one of my largest strengths, so the only subject that will take a lot of time (more than usual) is physics (couldn't be bothered for philosophy, going to aim for a C/b and drop it).

am i stupid for thinking this? i think i might start with 5 ASs and see after a month or 2 if its getting too much..

I think thats fine. You dont know unless you try. If you want to do all of those subjects then go for it. You will always have the option of dropping philosophy anyway. Didnt you say it was compulsory? In that case, although it may sound bad, but if you ever where struggling, then that would be the one id spend less time on, especially if it wont help me much with regards to uni choices anyway.
Original post by Rooroo96
IMO Yesssss I do a2 french and i love the subject but at AS was just me and one other girl and she doesn't like it and now this year it's just me and the teacher and a part of me dies every time I walk towards the languages department, got 95% at AS though and predicted A* this year hut very boring and i usually thrive over healthy competition during class so studying is such a chore in french :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile

I can see where you are coming from with regards to it being boring with only you and one other person in the class- especially as the other person didnt like the subject. Even more so this year as there is only you. That is the extreme though i suppose. With classes of 4-10 students its good, because like people have said- there is more one to one, you get to bond with the people in your classes more, etc, but you also still get a bit of healthy competition which some people like.
Reply 28
hi, for A levels i want to do (top 4):

philosophy (compulsory)
further maths
maths
spanish.

2 of 4 of those class will have between 1-maybe 8 students, dependent on any students coming from other schools..

so for someone who wants to do 2 unpopular A levels, does A level life get boring?

i thought of taking a 5th, physics, as it is quite popular BUT it will also help my bid to get onto a computer science course, so i'm not just doing it for my friends!!!

so i guess my 2nd question is, is it worth to do all 3; maths, further and physics or is it too much of a workload?

it really depends on what your classmates are like..if they are those serious unsocial people who keep to themselves and just stick to their work than no..but if they are fun and their company is enjoyable then yeah..my a-level class has 9 people and i'm almost finishing looking back these two years were fun because i had enjoyable classmates a lot of times we even skived classes together and do a lot of fun stuff
Reply 29
Original post by Emma:-)
I think thats fine. You dont know unless you try. If you want to do all of those subjects then go for it. You will always have the option of dropping philosophy anyway. Didnt you say it was compulsory? In that case, although it may sound bad, but if you ever where struggling, then that would be the one id spend less time on, especially if it wont help me much with regards to uni choices anyway.

Yeah, i only really want a pass on philosophy. A/Bs+ on the rest though..
Yeah, i only really want a pass on philosophy. A/Bs+ on the rest though..

Is philosophy compulsory at AS then?
Also, i know some 6th forms (i know mine did) offer maths and further maths in one class- a bit like an accelerated class to those who want to do both maths and further maths. Where you do all of a-level maths in year 12 then all of a-level further maths in year 13. So you are doing both but it only takes up one subjects worth of lessons. That might be worth looking into.
Reply 31
Original post by Emma:-)
Is philosophy compulsory at AS then?
Also, i know some 6th forms (i know mine did) offer maths and further maths in one class- a bit like an accelerated class to those who want to do both maths and further maths. Where you do all of a-level maths in year 12 then all of a-level further maths in year 13. So you are doing both but it only takes up one subjects worth of lessons. That might be worth looking into.

It is yes.

What so, C1-4 plus m/s1-2 all in 1 year? That must be a lot to do in 6 lessons a week
Small classes are better. I go to a sixth form college whichis really big- and in my biology class theres about 20 people. I personallythink its too many- especially when each teacher has three or four classes ofthat size it means that we very rarely do tests or things that are handed inand marked. In my ancient history class theres 7 people. I feel morecomfortable putting forward answers in a class that size and theres more timefor feedback.
Definitely not boring at all in my case, I love the small classes! :biggrin:
I'm studying Maths (6 of us in the class) , Further Maths (2 of us) and Spanish (2 of us) !
We have such a laugh and all get on with each other, whilst still working hard. Teachers are more willing to help, and it's less pressure if you don't understand something.

What's everyone planning on doing after sixth form?
Got any university offers? :smile:
Reply 34
Original post by sarahwaymouth
Definitely not boring at all in my case, I love the small classes! :biggrin:
I'm studying Maths (6 of us in the class) , Further Maths (2 of us) and Spanish (2 of us) !
We have such a laugh and all get on with each other, whilst still working hard. Teachers are more willing to help, and it's less pressure if you don't understand something.

What's everyone planning on doing after sixth form?
Got any university offers? :smile:

Even your classes of 2 aren't boring?
I'm the only person taking A2 music! It can get lonely but the teachers are amazing!
Even your classes of 2 aren't boring?

Further Maths is hilarious, and we can go through stuff we don't get without worrying about disrupting the rest of the class

Spanish gets a bit boring I suppose, but only because I don't enjoy the course! The teachers give up their free lessons to give us extra help though :smile:
Reply 37
Further Maths is hilarious, and we can go through stuff we don't get without worrying about disrupting the rest of the class

Spanish gets a bit boring I suppose, but only because I don't enjoy the course! The teachers give up their free lessons to give us extra help though :smile:

There's a good 5/6 doing spanish so far, and i really enjoy spanish so i think i'll enjoy it. But i don't know a single person wanting to do further maths.. Could be an AS class of one,.
There's a good 5/6 doing spanish so far, and i really enjoy spanish so i think i'll enjoy it. But i don't know a single person wanting to do further maths.. Could be an AS class of one,.

I enjoyed GCSE Spanish, but A level is so different! GCSE relied on rope-learning material for the speaking exams, but A level you have to try make it up on the spot or else they penalise you for not sounding fluent-enough. I got an A* at GCSE, and got a C at AS, struggling with A2 at the moment but I need to get a B overall to get into the university I want to go to! Fingers crossed!!!
Reply 39
I enjoyed GCSE Spanish, but A level is so different! GCSE relied on rope-learning material for the speaking exams, but A level you have to try make it up on the spot or else they penalise you for not sounding fluent-enough. I got an A* at GCSE, and got a C at AS, struggling with A2 at the moment but I need to get a B overall to get into the university I want to go to! Fingers crossed!!!

i have a genuine passion to learn it though, i think it'll be that subject after tiring maths where i can just relax and really enjoy the next 45 minutes!

Quick Reply

Latest