The Student Room Group

Nottingham or Sheffield ??

hi ppl, I am applying for my masters in architecture this year. I am confused between M.Arch at Sheffield Univ and M.Arch at Nottingham Univ. Sheffield has RIBA accredition whereas Nottingham doesnt. I am currently residing in India.
Reply 1
RIBA accredation is to do more with a two year MArch course providing exemption from RIBA part 2. If applying for Msc or MA or perhaps 1 yr MArch from nott. and comming back to india. i dont think it shall matter anyway as few of my seniors have pursued a non RIBA accredated course sans any problem when back.
Nottingham is definitely accredited. They have been working as a postgraduate diploma rather than an MArch until recently, however will be shifting to an MArch programme from September 2014 onwards.

Both univerisities are a part of the Russell Group therefore you should receive the best in facilities, teaching and research. I've visited both universities and Sheffield is definitely my top choice. The library is great, the facilities are impressive and the whole course structure seems sound.

At the same time, Nottingham has a great course that is more environmentally driven. I had an interview last Wednesday and the staff seemed really nice. I ended up talking to the receptionist there for a while who could only say good things about the course. There are also quirks such as free materials for model making, free use of the laser cutter and field trips in 5th and 6th year are also free!

I was the last group of 10 that they interviewed, and I doubt they will be interviewing anyone else, so if you are considering the university they get in contact with them as soon as you can.

Hope this has been useful, and if you need any more info, just message me :smile:
Reply 3
Samhasquestions that was a good piece of information there! And as far as accreditation is concerned I was apprehensive because Nottingham is perhaps the only university that is offering an MARCH for a 1 year course ( Usually you get an MA or MSC elsewhere).
Moreover I am about to accept my offer for 'MARCH Digital Architecture & Tectonics' there starting September 2014 as I have heard very good things about the University & the course. I have been in a dilemma about Sheffield ( offered the course MSC Digital design & Media) against Nottingham since quite a while. Would love to hear from you on the same. Many thanks...
Reply 4
Even i received offer letters from both and currently in a dilema.But w.r.t RIBA accredition, i think it matters more if you wish to practice in the uk. i may be wrong. Also, maybe because of this nottingham is offering title MArch to a 1 year course as against Msc or MA from sheffield.
Hi,

I don't know a lot about other MArch courses apart from the standard 2 year part II Architecture course.

If you need to speak to someone about careers and education in architecture, you might want to call the RIBA on +44(0)20 7580 5533. I the lady's name was Aleena and she helped me out hugely!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending