The Student Room Group

Is Math HL required for Computer Engineering?

Hello,

I am soon going into tenth grade. We are also choosing our IB courses soon. Here is what I have so far:

HL - English, Math, Physics or CS
SL - Spanish, Economics, (not yet decided)

Since childhood, my passion has been computers, and I hope to become a software or a video-game developer one day. Is Math HL required for this? My current teacher says that both SL and HL would suit me, but I'm a bit apprehensive about Math HL.

So, is Math HL required to become a game or software developer? It is really hard? Also, I hope to go to university in Canada.

Thanks!
Reply 1
In terms of requirements for university admissions, I don't think taking it at HL will be a requirement for Canadian universities. It will definitely be helpful though, since it'll not only give you an advantage when applying, but also for when you get in. As far as I'm aware there's probably a fair bit of work you'll be doing on things like graphics, so I would imagine you'll have to continue doing a fair bit of maths at university too.

I would start off with it as a 4th HL, you can always drop if if you wish. I do think it's worth keeping if you can , but it'll give the option of dropping it later if you find it's too much.

Quick Reply

Latest