The Student Room Group

I have no A - Levels but wish to go to university!!

This has probably been asked dozens of time, but is it possible to go to Uni without any A-levels? For example could I get in on a foundation year then proceed to a standard three year Psychology course?
-
I have mediocre GCSE's (C's and a few B's) really wish I took school more seriously!
I'm 20, I have decent work experience, I dropped out of A-levels to work full time in an office..
What are my chances of being accepted on a foundation course or even through clearing?
Yes, it is possible. I mean people like Albert Einstein never got into an undergraduate degree programme. And there's always exceptions with universities admitting some prodigies or something without the necessary A-level scores. And mature students.

But how much work is needed I don't know.
Reply 2
I would have thought you would have to do an access course, some foundations are for those who don't quite meet the A-Level grades or don't have the right subjects and/or have done an access course. You won't get in on nothing, you will most likely have to do some kind of qualification.
Reply 3
Like I say I have GCSE's, I also Have a Level three NVQ in business studies but I doubt that counts for much.. Also doing a Level 2 NVQ in customer service alongside my Job as an IT consultant. If that would be any consolation?
Reply 4
Original post by wattsdt01
Like I say I have GCSE's, I also Have a Level three NVQ in business studies but I doubt that counts for much.. Also doing a Level 2 NVQ in customer service alongside my Job as an IT consultant. If that would be any consolation?

I would expect universities to want more relevant subjects/qualifications. Email the one's you are interested in to find out their stance but it is very likely they will ask you to at least do an access course of some sort.
Hey I'm completing an access course at the moment. Its really good you can do them in a year but its very intense you have to get a lot of essays in during a short period of time but it prepares you really well for university. The only requirement is that you're 19+ you don't need any other qualifications although some colleges make you sit a level 2 english and maths test to get on. I have offers from Birmingham, KCL and Bristol (for psychology) and I'm waiting on Cardiff but they all have high grade requirements. I don't know if you would get onto a foundation course now, I think if you have a lot of experience in a relivant area, but I have 10 years experience and I doubt I would of got any offers on that alone. Its worth a go though I guess, I strongly recommend the access course if that doesn't work though its gone by really quickly and really gives you a good base for HE.

This has probably been asked dozens of time, but is it possible to go to Uni without any A-levels? For example could I get in on a foundation year then proceed to a standard three year Psychology course?
-
I have mediocre GCSE's (C's and a few B's) really wish I took school more seriously!
I'm 20, I have decent work experience, I dropped out of A-levels to work full time in an office..
What are my chances of being accepted on a foundation course or even through clearing?
Reply 6
Reply 7
Original post by FrankLangers
Hey I'm completing an access course at the moment. Its really good you can do them in a year but its very intense you have to get a lot of essays in during a short period of time but it prepares you really well for university. The only requirement is that you're 19+ you don't need any other qualifications although some colleges make you sit a level 2 english and maths test to get on. I have offers from Birmingham, KCL and Bristol (for psychology) and I'm waiting on Cardiff but they all have high grade requirements. I don't know if you would get onto a foundation course now, I think if you have a lot of experience in a relivant area, but I have 10 years experience and I doubt I would of got any offers on that alone. Its worth a go though I guess, I strongly recommend the access course if that doesn't work though its gone by really quickly and really gives you a good base for HE.

Thanks for that Frank, How many days a week do you do in college? I can't afford to work any less than three days a week, I'm already going to have to do a lot of sucking up to get from full-time work to part time!
Reply 8
I had no A-Levels but good GCSE grades, as well as some NVQ lvl2 qualifications. This still wasn't enough for me - I had to do an Access course (1 year, free if you're under 24 with no lvl3 qualifications). It's been way easier than A-Levels, and I've been accepted into unis I could never have hoped to get into before!

Hope this helps :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 9
Thanks for that Frank, How many days a week do you do in college? I can't afford to work any less than three days a week, I'm already going to have to do a lot of sucking up to get from full-time work to part time!

Mine is 2 full days a week. I think this is about average.
If you are under 21, you will need evidence that you can study at this higher level - A level study, Access course, Foundation course or OU credits etc. If you are older than 21, some work/life experience will be taken into consideration but you will still need evidence of post-GCSE study.

Foundation degrees in Psychology - http://www.whatuni.com/degrees/courses/foundation-degree-courses/psychology-foundation-degree-courses-united-kingdom/a/united+kingdom/r/6067/page.html

Sorry to leave you hanging! I'm in college three days a week, some people manage to keep full time hours on but you'll have to work hard, a lot of them do nights and come in knackard! I know I can't work like that and need 1-2 days a week to get my work in each week and reading done. I get my hours down at work to 22.5 its a struggle but you'd be amazed what you can do. It was genuinely the scariest thing I have ever done coming out of full time employment but I'm very glad I did.

Quick Reply

Latest