The Student Room Group

Sketching inverse hyperbolic functions

I'm having trouble sketching inverse hyperbolic functions, for example, I know how to sketch y = tanh x graph but how do I sketch a artanh x graph?

I mean how do I do it without memorising its shape (as there are too many inverse hyperbolic functions to memorise lol). I know that the inverse is just a reflection in the y-axis, this may simplify sketching eg sinh x and arsinh x but it doesn't really help when sketching tanh x and artanh x..

Thanks
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by GPODT
I'm having trouble sketching inverse hyperbolic functions, for example, I know how to sketch y = tanh x graph but how do I sketch a artanh x graph?

I mean how do I do it without memorising its shape (as there are too many inverse hyperbolic functions to memorise lol). I know that the inverse is just a reflection in the y-axis, this may simplify sketching eg sinh x and arsinh x but it doesn't really help when sketching tanh x and artanh x..

Thanks

You can sketch any inverse function by reflecting the original graph in the line y=x (providing scales on the two axes are equal)

Quick Reply

Latest