The Student Room Group

Student loan eligibility and the 'settled status'

I want to accept the offer that I've got from the University of Liverpool for a course starting in September 2014 but I will not be able to afford it without the full student loan (tuition+maintenance).
You're eligible for the full loan if you're British or if you have the 'settled status' before the first day of the course.
I'm Polish, so as Poland is an EU country, I should automatically obtain the settled status after I've lived in the UK for 5 years which I will have in August 2014 (that's from what I've gathered, please correct me if I'm wrong)
But when applying for student loan they want me to "Give the date that you received this status."
Does that mean I need to officially apply for the status and give the date whenI received the official document or is it just the date when I automatically became 'settled'?
Because I've tried to find an application form for the status and it seems like only those who have a visa (and in other circumstances which do not apply to me) can apply for that status and as I'm Polish I don't have a visa because I don't need one.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 1
May be wrong here but it seems to be what a lot of people say.

From EU places you needed to have lived in the UK for the last 3 years and not been in education for them 3 years to be classed as a home student, so normally in a job since you could proof it all then. Not sure about the whole settled status, not seen it used much on here I don't think.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 10 years ago)
Studying English kumori?
Reply 3
Original post by kumori
May be wrong here but it seems to be what a lot of people say.

From EU places you needed to have lived in the UK for the last 3 years and not been in education for them 3 years to be classed as a home student, so normally in a job since you could proof it all then. Not sure about the whole settled status, not seen it used much on here I don't think.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I know you have to have been 'ordinarily resident' for 3 years but I didn't know you can't be in education during that time. It says 'ordinarily resident' means living in England and not wholly or mainly to get full-time education. (http://www.practitioners.slc.co.uk/media/456043/eligibility_fact_sheet_1314_d_b.pdf)
If I live in England because my family has moved here and I'm in full-time education, would I be considered to live in England 'wholly or mainly to get full-time education' or 'ordinarily resident'?
Would I have to apply for a document certifying that I'm ordinarily resident or is just a name you give a person who fits into the definition?
Reply 4
Original post by balotelli12
Studying English kumori?

No, when I posted that I was that ill it was still being decided if I was going to be rushed to a hospital, just thought I would try to help. My grammar is not that much better the rest of the time but meh it's readable.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending