The Student Room Group

Applying to US universities, in particular Harvard, could do with some advice?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by Arjunkumar97
I know what you mean, my extra curriculars are at county level and below in all honesty, and I believe I can buck that up between now and then - did set up an organisation similar to a charity in my local area last year though, debate all the time for school and really I think that could take me pretty far, cheers for your advice dude

With sport it's very easy to tell whether you're at the standard required. Go on your sport on the Athletic Dpet. website and look at the roster, each athlete will have their previous achievements and, where relevant, times detailed there. I'll be blunt county will not cut it at Stanford, it's one of the finest sporting universities in the world, but you may have a chance at an Ivy if it's a sport we do more of (eg. football).

Here's the Harvard athletics website: http://www.gocrimson.com/landing/index

Show's more enthusiasm and drive no? Pushing yourself right out of your comfort zone to study in a whole different country at such an intensity, and no not really, I mean I was hoping to get some advice on that too by coming here

I work at the sort of place you'll probably be aiming for (big multinational law firm in London) and we don't give a flying one whether you went to Oxbridge or HYPS. The US offers a very different curriculum under the Liberal Arts sytem and more extra curricular, Oxbridge offer much more focussed study and the tutorial system. For what it's worth education wise people I know who did America then an affiliated degree say it's too different to compare really, but for undergrad they think Oxbridge and Princeton are where it's at (the big names in America are very focussed on their post grad programmes, though their BA is still very, very good). Ultimately though it's a matter of preference.
(edited 10 years ago)
Show's more enthusiasm and drive no? Pushing yourself right out of your comfort zone to study in a whole different country at such an intensity, and no not really, I mean I was hoping to get some advice on that too by coming here

Lol no, not really about 'enthusiasm and drive'. Nothing would be particularly advantageous...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 22
It has a certain attractive quality for me, along with being a world leading educational institution as it is, it would be a major lifestyle change and I think it'd be more advantageous than going to Oxford or Cambridge, I mean i'm quite curious about it as well, I'd like to get as much out of uni as I can, and i'm determined to do just that I suppose :smile:

You're really going to have to come up with something more concrete if you want to have any chance at getting in. Do you have any more specific questions about HYPSM or the application process in general? I think I might be able to answer a few, although I went to high school in the US so I won't be able to give you any advice specific to British applicants.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending