The Student Room Group

Is it a mental illness or am I just a drama queen/king?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by nathan2k1
We all have our moments!. I wouldn't stress about it or consider it competition sometimes you have to go with the flow - at other times
defend the world from impending doom. Well not really the latter part but I'm sure you catch my drift. You can't compare people by academic grades, if she does that is her downfall, there has to be more to it [him] than that.

Personally, I think he's a more chilled guy in general, whereas we're both stress-heads with, I'll admit, the potential to become drama queens and energy vampires (both of us) and weren't compatible. He can make her laugh-right now, I can't, third year and certain manosphere sites brought out the worst in my anxiety.
Reply 21
Original post by Riku
I've started to. The hierarchy/competition thing is going to probably take a good therapist, because as I said elsewhere, I've been in competition with my older brother (thus my peers, thus the world) since I was a toddler. And I'm a sore loser :tongue:

…she told me many times that she's unhappy, but it's the way it is. In February (something like our third breakup talk?!) she said she's 'sorry I could only half-love you' because she was so busy. It was full days of lectures through to committee meetings, she put the time in for sure.
I don't know whether she likes it. She's not talking to me at this moment, I've blocked her number because I should really be focusing on my finals revision, but I' yet to block her on Facebook (which is where I saw her post this note to the society)

You've also got to understand how hard it is for her too. Displeasing your parents is majorly wrong in our culture. There are next to no exceptions for that. And her parents certainly not oppressing her. It's been in our culture for a long time, to study hard and please your parents. This doesnt change to accomodate relationships that amount to nothing and drinking culture. She really may want to have a proper relationship with you, but the effort of coming up with an excuse to tell your parents, having to break it to your parents that you're dating a white boy etc. It's not easy for her.
Reply 22
Original post by Ggmu!
You've also got to understand how hard it is for her too. Displeasing your parents is majorly wrong in our culture. There are next to no exceptions for that. And her parents certainly not oppressing her. It's been in our culture for a long time, to study hard and please your parents. This doesnt change to accomodate relationships that amount to nothing and drinking culture. She really may want to have a proper relationship with you, but the effort of coming up with an excuse to tell your parents, having to break it to your parents that you're dating a white boy etc. It's not easy for her.

I can accept that; but then why did she need to cut contact? We tried being friends and she said something like 'I miss you when you're gone so much but it's no longer the same when I'm with you' and she tried to explain the culture, . Unfortunately I'm still 30% convinced she's crushing on another guy.
It hurts because she lives literally 15 minutes away, and not once over Easter did she ask to meet up. She texted me once, asking how my pregnant sister was, and when I replied she didn't respond. Which means she either doesn't want to have anything to do with me now, or is really under lock and key.

It's the not being friends or in contact at all part which I find so hard to understand.
Reply 23
Original post by Riku
I can accept that; but then why did she need to cut contact? We tried being friends and she said something like 'I miss you when you're gone so much but it's no longer the same when I'm with you' and she tried to explain the culture, . Unfortunately I'm still 30% convinced she's crushing on another guy.
It hurts because she lives literally 15 minutes away, and not once over Easter did she ask to meet up. She texted me once, asking how my pregnant sister was, and when I replied she didn't respond. Which means she either doesn't want to have anything to do with me now, or is really under lock and key.

It's the not being friends or in contact at all part which I find so hard to understand.

She sounds like a rude, uppity little bitch who isn't worth you blubbering about.

How much do you value your masculinity? Because honestly (i'm not here to hurt your feelings) it's going down every time you obsess over an ex, in public or privately.
Reply 24
Original post by Ggmu!
She sounds like a rude, uppity little bitch who isn't worth you blubbering about.

How much do you value your masculinity? Because honestly (i'm not here to hurt your feelings) it's going down every time you obsess over an ex, in public or privately.

Hang on, where did the 'rude, uppity bitch' comment come from? I thought you said try to sympathise with her situation :s-smilie:
Yeah, I realise that...
Reply 25
Original post by Riku
Hang on, where did the 'rude, uppity bitch' comment come from? I thought you said try to sympathise with her situation :s-smilie:
Yeah, I realise that...

After that post it seemed like she made a conscious effort to get away from you even though you were offering a friendship.

I don't have much sympathy for her after you last post. She just doesn't seem like a very nice girl.

The way I see, you die with nothing other than what's inside you and your thoughts. I try to live life thinking that I won't sacrifice anything that builds up my perception for any material or physical gain. Behaving in the way you are (please don't take it wrongly, my wording is blunt but I don't mean it horribly) definitely effects that, imo.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 26
Original post by Ggmu!
After that post it seemed like she made a conscious effort to get away from you even though you were offering a friendship.

I don't have much sympathy for her after you last post. She just doesn't seem like a very nice girl.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Why do you think she's a bitch now? I thought you were saying she's being reasonable because of her situation.
And if she's a bitch, she's a more successful bitch with a potential new guy (bear in mind this is my paranoia talking, they may just be good friends or she may even still miss me). So what now? I can't just accept the girl who dumped me is better than me!

I am torn about this; I don't know whether she's cut contact because she hurts, or indeed she's a bitch and fully over me/even messing with me
Original post by Riku
No really
I'm bored of saying the details which are posted all over TSR of my problems but I am frustratingly on edge most if not all of the time and without trying to be. It hasn't rendered me incapable of functioning, but it does make things which should be very easy sometimes hard to do. If we throw in big doses of caffeine and/or alcohol things get messy in my head.
When I can't sleep it pisses me off. Sometimes I can't get it up as a result, and I'm embarrassed. Etc.

But everyone is stressed and still gets on with things. So am I just too sensitive and God forbid, melodramatic?

Could it be anxiety instead of stress? they're often confused.. just check it out
I haven't read your threads (or if I have, I can't link them to you) but it sounds like you should go see a doctor. Anything that is making you stressed is not good. Whether you're more sensitive to it than others doesn't really matter; the fact is that clearly you are unhappy and it's something you should seek help about. At worst, your doctor will give you friendly advice to buck your ideas up; at best, she/he will point you in the right direction for professional help.
Reply 29
Original post by damnation
Could it be anxiety instead of stress? they're often confused.. just check it out

Anxiety disorder, diagnosed, in treatment. Finding out my ex is less of a loser than me (because rep for a big uni society) ain't helping!

Original post by Rascacielos
I haven't read your threads (or if I have, I can't link them to you) but it sounds like you should go see a doctor. Anything that is making you stressed is not good. Whether you're more sensitive to it than others doesn't really matter; the fact is that clearly you are unhappy and it's something you should seek help about. At worst, your doctor will give you friendly advice to buck your ideas up; at best, she/he will point you in the right direction for professional help.

Really? Apparently everyone's read my threads now, so I'm told. But I'm glad you haven't because I'm not doing it just to seek attention as people keep insinuating.
Yeah, I've been seeing the university counsellor regularly, and we're considering sending me for more CBT/DBT to get to the root of my bigger irrational thoughts and behaviours: namely dependence (I had an obsession Mum wouldn't let me go to the gym because I had health anxiety and was obsessing because I thought my heart was weak and I'd die if I exercised too hard so I'd compensate with food), Internet addiction (another form of dependence, I acknowledge it, see about 100 threads on TSR 2013/4) and I'm going to have to add my obsession with the alpha male, social hierarchy, dominance etc., which has some weird sexual elements in it too tbh.

What I want to let go of tonight is, if my ex girlfriend is in a top position at a really successful society at uni (either because she is just less of a loser than me, or because her parents have disciplined her to be academically excellent even against her will) and I am still in need of help, how do I let go of the idea she is better than me? Because in my distorted world view where the most good-looking, richest, most popular and successful people are the best, she currently is. Obviously this is like taking my pride and wilfully beating it with a sledgehammer so I'd rather not.
She also noted I was unhappy. It was a vulernable relationship a best, clandestine because of culture and tbh when she met me I was in a deep depression about these problems. She distracted me from them and helped me overcome them, but since I saw her get close (not necessarily together with but close) to another guy who fit my vision of the 'alpha male', it has opened up the Pandora's box.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 30
Original post by Riku
Anxiety disorder, diagnosed, in treatment. Finding out my ex is less of a loser than me (because rep for a big uni society) ain't helping! Yeah, I've been seeing the university counsellor regularly, and we're considering sending me for more CBT/DBT to get to the root of my bigger irrational thoughts and behaviours:

Sounds like a grand idea to me. With a structured therapy you may have a better chance at challenging your current way of thinking, which is clearly not particularly helpful to you.

Your ex may well be better then you at many things. She may be better academically, more adapted socially. More driven to succeed. Whether that makes her a better person on a whole is open to debate. What I find more interesting is why do you feel a need to compare yourself with her. There is no need to enter this competition. You are both different people with unique strengths and weaknesses. End of. There is no need to establish who is 'better'. I'm guessing it's all the part of your current obsession with social hierarchy so it may not be that easy to drop but maybe that's where CBT can help you.
Reply 31
Original post by belis
Sounds like a grand idea to me. With a structured therapy you may have a better chance at challenging your current way of thinking, which is clearly not particularly helpful to you.

Your ex may well be better then you at many things. She may be better academically, more adapted socially. More driven to succeed. Whether that makes her a better person on a whole is open to debate. What I find more interesting is why do you feel a need to compare yourself with her. There is no need to enter this competition. You are both different people with unique strengths and weaknesses. End of. There is no need to establish who is 'better'. I'm guessing it's all the part of your current obsession with social hierarchy so it may not be that easy to drop but maybe that's where CBT can help you.

:smile:
You'd be right that it is part of the need to be dominant. That's not going to change overnight, however. I've been comparing myself to extremes for a long time and while I can recognise good qualities in myself, I'm quick to idealise the virtues of others and ignore their shortcomings because 'we're all human'-not so myself. Weird :s-smilie:

Quick Reply

Latest