The Student Room Group

To be, or not to be taught the many facets of Art.

Hi All,

A bit of background first, 32y/o in a stable career in Architecture and all its forms, but knowing this is not my life career....nothing wrong with having two surely?.

I left art in secondary school, in the last two years I've started to dabble and have realised I never fully explored the skills that were evident at childhood (tutors losing your pride and joy sketchbooks had a hand in that).

I have been creating on and off for the last two years and it feels like I've arrived at where I need to be. Do I continue in my spare time what I enjoy or gamble on learning further skills to enhance what I truly enjoy?

Can I approach uni's with what I've created thus far to see if there is any potential to create a full portfolio for an application or wing it and just stay on my own path?

Cheers in advance for any advice, would be great to hear from any mature Art students.

Dan
Reply 1
Generally universities are very helpful, and it's worth a go phoning up and see if you can arrange a meeting with the admissions of an art department/school. However i doubt you'll be able to be seen until this years applications are done, so maybe may.
Original post by rhubarbchoppa
Hi All,

A bit of background first, 32y/o in a stable career in Architecture and all its forms, but knowing this is not my life career....nothing wrong with having two surely?.

I left art in secondary school, in the last two years I've started to dabble and have realised I never fully explored the skills that were evident at childhood (tutors losing your pride and joy sketchbooks had a hand in that).

I have been creating on and off for the last two years and it feels like I've arrived at where I need to be. Do I continue in my spare time what I enjoy or gamble on learning further skills to enhance what I truly enjoy?

Can I approach uni's with what I've created thus far to see if there is any potential to create a full portfolio for an application or wing it and just stay on my own path?

Cheers in advance for any advice, would be great to hear from any mature Art students.

Dan
Try an art foundation course. It's what most decent art schools require anyway and it will allow you to build up the right kind of portfolio for the degree you want to apply for.
Some art and design will cross over into the field you're in now but you can also squeeze yourself into more of a media direction which could be a nice change of scene. Graphic design, photography etc... A lot of arts courses cram a whole bunch of practical skills into one course as well as art theory that is perfectly applicable to other areas film..even psychology. Art courses allow you to dabble in a bit of everything, or that has just been my experience. Everything from costume making to working in a film studio.

I did BTEC in art and have got onto alot of seemingly unrelated degree courses with it. If you make the intertextuality apparent in your personal statement it helps, because I knew I sure didn't want to do an access course or something like that.

Portfolio wise you want to demonstrate an understanding of/proficiency in a wide range of media, digital and traditional. You want to demonstrate anatomical knowledge of humans and animals through life/figure drawing as well as doodles from your head. Your architectural knowledge gives you an edge with visualizing shapes, spaces, distance, proportion and the types of line that are pleasing to the eye.
Reply 4
Original post by Blabyda
Generally universities are very helpful, and it's worth a go phoning up and see if you can arrange a meeting with the admissions of an art department/school. However i doubt you'll be able to be seen until this years applications are done, so maybe may.

Thanks blabyda, I should of just had the balls and rang up in the first place haha...nothing to lose....cheers

Quick Reply

Latest