The Student Room Group

UK Sugar Tax - Your opinion?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by abrack
Let's just clarify this is to bring the obesity count in the UK down. What I'm saying is I don't know how increasing the cost of tax on a bar of chocolate is going to change the way Brtion's eat. This is to do with people who don't eat with a healthy diet. Sure it's unfair on people who can keep themselves healthy, but we're talking about the extreme here. 3 or 4+ bars a day.

In terms of the taxman it costs about £5bn a year (probably more now) to help a obese person and that £5bn is made up of the taxpayers money.

And it is the taxman's choice to provide that money to give people healthcare. I do not accept that one can offer a gratuitous service and thereby justify intrusion into the recipient's business. I understand that levels of obesity are high, I simply don't think that justifies state control of people's diets.

I take precisely the same view regarding the draconian measures being taken against smokers.
Original post by TimmonaPortella
And it is the taxman's choice to provide that money to give people healthcare. I do not accept that one can offer a gratuitous service and thereby justify intrusion into the recipient's business. I understand that levels of obesity are high, I simply don't think that justifies state control of people's diets.

I take precisely the same view regarding the draconian measures being taken against smokers.

I thought healthcare was a mandatory tax to pay?

I understand where you're coming from regardless. Thanks for your input.
Reply 22
From a libertarian perspective, if there is found to be a direct excess health risk caused by certain high sugar foods, then a Pigouvian tax is philosophically justifiable in order to cover the additional expenditure on health care for those with diabetes/obesity/whatever in the same way that alcohol and tobacco are taxed. Whether this is actually the case remains ambiguous.
Reply 23
Original post by abrack
Let's just clarify this is to bring the obesity count in the UK down. What I'm saying is I don't know how increasing the cost of tax on a bar of chocolate is going to change the way Brtion's eat.

It almost certainly wouldn't, and there is no moral justification for the state to try and micromanage the personal dietary choices of its citizens anyway.
Original post by cole-slaw
It almost certainly wouldn't, and there is no moral justification for the state to try and micromanage the personal dietary choices of its citizens anyway.

Agreed.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by DaveSmith99
Better education and maybe subsidising more healthy food would be a better approach.

I agree, subsidising the cost of healthy foods while increasing the cost of foods that are high in fat/sugar would be very benificial in my opinion. It would especially help poorer families who cannot afford fresh fruit and veg and instead opt for the cheaper frozen burgers/hot dogs/whatever to eat more healthily.
Original post by VladThe1mpaler
I agree, subsidising the cost of healthy foods while increasing the cost of foods that are high in fat/sugar would be very benificial in my opinion. It would especially help poorer families who cannot afford fresh fruit and veg and instead opt for the cheaper frozen burgers/hot dogs/whatever to eat more healthily.

Absolutely. I am happy that the price of fresh veg is coming down, but I wish I could say the same about fruit. Strawberries, in particular. Maybe if the prices dropped, even by just maybe one or two pounds, Britain would be a much healthier bunch of countries than they currently are. But the influence of cheap food has lured people into the junk food sector, which IMO is sad because again, it's to do with vulnerability.
I'm not sure. I don't like the government telling me what I should be doing with my body when it only affects me but then I do resent that I have to pay an extortionate amount of tax on cigarettes and alcohol while people who cause similar problems through eating too much sugary and fatty foods get away with it. While ideally I'd like a system that was less reliant on regressive tax, it doesn't seem likely this is going to happen so it would be fairer to spread the burden between the vices. I worry that in reality this is just going to hit the poorest people hardest like any other taxes of this sort.
Original post by VladThe1mpaler

I'm skeptical if this would work or not. I think one of the main reasons poor families opt for these foods is partly because they require minimal preparation. A lot of fruit and veg is actually already very cheap... Carrots are about 95p for a kilogram, kidney beans and chopped tomatoes 30p a 400g tin. Apples are like 16p each. Pasta is really cheap. If people don't have the skills of how to cook even simple meals from scratch then they're never gonna buy the food that requires prep.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 29
Original post by tomclarky
Aspartame has been repeatedley proven to be safe in moderation. It's the single most independantly tested food additive in history. Not to mention it's basically just a fusion of two amino acids that everyone already consumes whenever they eat protein. The component parts of aspartame are already abundant in our diets from other sources, but for some reason when someone puts them together in a single compound everyone craps themselves. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17828671

Artificial sweeteners should be embraced. The fact you can take a 2L bottle of Coke which would normally contain an insane 53 teaspoons of sugar and reduce that to zero, while keeping 90% of the taste is amazing. The histeria of fear around artificial sweeteners and other additives is laughable, considering we have such a wealth of knowledge about how addictive and harmful all forms of sugar are in large quantities. Makes me laugh when people see me drinking diet coke and try to smugly tell me how 'diet coke is actually worse for you y'know', quite often the same people that i see smoking and drinking alcohol to excess.

Artificial sweeteners taste like ****, nothing compares to good old sugar. Take a look at the new sprite - it is ****ing horrible, I will never drink sprite again in my life.

You have coke zero if you want to pretend to lead a healthy lifestyle (tastes absolutely horrible, too). I want these 53 teaspoons of sugar because I love sugar.

Perhaps the government should stop trying to regulate everything to death.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by CEKTOP
Artificial sweeteners taste like ****, nothing compares to good old sugar. Take a look at the new sprite - it is ****ing horrible, I will never drink sprite again in my life.

Is that what they've done?! I was wondering why it tasted so horrendously bad a few weeks back...
Reply 31
Original post by abrack
Is that what they've done?! I was wondering why it tasted so horrendously bad a few weeks back...

They've replaced a mere 30% of its sugar with an "innovative" sweetener, ruining everything.
Maybe it's a marketing ploy: they might bring out Sprite Classic soon.
Original post by tomclarky
I'm skeptical if this would work or not. I think one of the main reasons poor families opt for these foods is partly because they require minimal preparation. A lot of fruit and veg is actually already very cheap... Carrots are about 95p for a kilogram, kidney beans and chopped tomatoes 30p a 400g tin. Apples are like 16p each. Pasta is really cheap. If people don't have the skills of how to cook even simple meals from scratch then they're never gonna buy the food that requires prep.

I know, the "time" issue is a factor. But even lowering the price of low fat foods which are quite expensive like chicken or turkey I think could really benefit everyone. I know some parents are very busy but does it really take much time to cook a couple of chicken breasts and boil some carrots?
Original post by CEKTOP
They've replaced a mere 30% of its sugar with an "innovative" sweetener, ruining everything.

Wow. Just... just wow. Ridiculous.
I really don't like the taste of the "new" sprite. Just goes to show how much change sugar really makes.
Reply 36
Original post by TimmonaPortella
Maybe it's a marketing ploy: they might bring out Sprite Classic soon.

Yeah, but the new formula sprite comes in packaging that is literally the same. I suspect that 7up will be a big winner in this situation and they'll be forced to ditch the new sprite altogether.
Don't agree with the tax. Why should people who eat sugary things as part of a healthy diet have to pay more because others are uneducated or can't control themselves?

Education is key, availability of healthy food, including healthy ready meals, is also key.

I've said this before; higher prices of junk food won't curb unhealthy diets. If it's a choice between going without crisps because they cost too much, or putting back a bag of apples to make up the difference, people who have relationships with food that have made them obese will almost certainly take the option of putting the apples back.
Original post by abrack
Yes, good point. But what if the bars have been split in two and bars have been split in two? But again, unfair on those who want to enjoy a chocolate bar every now and then because they'll have to pay extortionate amounts of money for a poxy bar of chocolate.

The thing is, chocolate, crisps, sweets, pizzas, burgers etc. should be treated as luxuries, but because they are so cheap these days people don't treat them as such and so overindulge in sugary and fatty foods. If the price is put up then (maybe) people will start treating these things as "treats" or "luxuries" again.
Original post by CEKTOP

You have coke zero if you want to pretend to lead a healthy lifestyle (tastes absolutely horrible, too). I want these 53 teaspoons of sugar because I love sugar.

When most people say that diet drinks tastes horrible, they usually already knew it was a diet drink to start with, and had some kind of inherent dislike towards the marketing of those sorts of products and so the bad taste can be attributed towards a sort of placebo effect/confirmation bias. I've drank diet drinks my whole life and think they taste amazing, personally, so i guess it partly depends on what you're used to.

If companies changed food recipes without telling anyone i doubt that many people would notice the difference.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending