The Student Room Group
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website

John Snow college 2014

Hi,
I put in an open application for either of the Stockton campuses and today I was allocated to John Snow.
Does anyone have any experience of what it's like?
It looks lovely, I'm just a little worried about how, well, posh it seems!
I'm local to Stockton and I know some of the students there don't like the area. I'm also really proud of my working class heritage, Teesside accent and left wing views. To add even more to it I'm pretty heavily pierced and have got a few tattoos.
Am I going to stick out like a sore thumb?! :/

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Are you joking :tongue: John Snow isn't posh at all! The only formal thing they do is have like 3 formals a year :lol: Otherwise, they're quite happy to party and drink, etc. just as much as any other college :yep: Stockton is really unposh as it is, you only really get the posh sterotype with Durham City tbh. And that's only with a couple of colleges (i.e. Hatfield, Hild and Bede, maybe Castle) but that's it really :wink: Trust me, you'll fit in just fine :top:
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website
Reply 2
I've got a place at John Snow as well, very excited!!!! Looking at accommodation and can't decide if staying in college accommodation or the Mezzino (is that what its called?) would be better, what do people recommend?
Reply 3
I haven't seen either accommodation from inside, but they both look okay. In terms of where they are in the town it doesn't make that much difference, I think the Mezzino is slightly closer to the uni buildings and the college building is slightly closer to the town centre, but there's only a few minutes walk difference.
Reply 4
Hi everyone i've been allocated to John Snow too! :smile: I'm really looking forward to it. Is anyone going to the open day next week?
Reply 5
Hi guys. I'm also deciding to go to the open day or not.
Reply 6
Original post by ALTSR
Hi guys. I'm also deciding to go to the open day or not.

Well I've only had an email about it today, which doesn't leave me very much time to book work off and plan transport! Really want to go though!
Reply 7
I'm going to the open day on Wednesday, travelling all the way up from London! anyone else going?
Reply 8
Original post by Geev
I'm going to the open day on Wednesday, travelling all the way up from London! anyone else going?

Hi yes i'm going on wednesday, not travelling as far as you, what time are you leaving London?! I'm only 2hrs 30 mins away
Reply 9
Original post by Geev

Im also travelling from london! but im not sure of what time to set off :/
Reply 10
Have to see what the trains are like from Kings cross to Darlington then on to Thonaby. My first talk starts at 1:30....
Reply 11
What did everyone think of Queen's Campus?
Reply 12
I really liked Queen's campus, thought the students were really nice. Did you like it? Torn to either stay in halls or over a Mezzino now
Reply 13
My daughter went to look on Wednesday, loved the course just not so sure about the campus. She's been allocated John Snow and prefers the halls to the Mezzino.
Hey guys, Im from the UK but I live overseas so I didn't get the chance to go to the open day. Did you guys like it, does it seem like a nice place to go?
Reply 15
Original post by sbrownie93
I've got a place at John Snow as well, very excited!!!! Looking at accommodation and can't decide if staying in college accommodation or the Mezzino (is that what its called?) would be better, what do people recommend?

Hi i'm in the same boat, i can't decide between Halls and Mezzino. Have you decided yet?
Reply 16
Original post by lmkx
Hi i'm in the same boat, i can't decide between Halls and Mezzino. Have you decided yet?

Well after going to the open day, I'd much prefer to live in halls!! Did you go? Apparently the rooms are bigger etc in mezzino, but there's isn't any bar/social area and I thought the general feel and atmosphere of the john snow halls were amazing!
Reply 17
Yeah i went the open day and i loved the atmosphere in halls too! I'm still unsure what to do, i'm a 30yr old student and apparently more mature students stay at Mezzino. Thought the students at John Snow were really great too!
Reply 18
Original post by lmkx
Yeah i went the open day and i loved the atmosphere in halls too! I'm still unsure what to do, i'm a 30yr old student and apparently more mature students stay at Mezzino. Thought the students at John Snow were really great too!

I suppose it depends what you're looking for, wouldn't worry about being 30 though, don't know what your group was like on the open day, but mine was a right mix! Yeah I thought that too, really can't wait to start now! What are you studying?
Reply 19
Original post by sbrownie93
I suppose it depends what you're looking for, wouldn't worry about being 30 though, don't know what your group was like on the open day, but mine was a right mix! Yeah I thought that too, really can't wait to start now! What are you studying?

Yeah i'm really looking forward to going too! I'm studying Accounting and Finance with Foundation. What about you? :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending