The Student Room Group

Newcastle medicine A100 offer holders thread

So yeah,
Who is excited about Newcastle??? :smile:

feel free to discuss accommodation and university life.

:biggrin:

Scroll to see replies

Original post by purple and gold
So yeah,

Feel free to discuss fellow applicants :smile:
Hey! Congrats everyone :smile:

I'm a grad applicant and did my undergrad at Newcastle. There was quite a bit of cross-over in terms of teaching staff and facilities with med as my degree is in physiology so if anyone has any questions about the city and the uni then I'll be happy to help out if possible.

DISCLAIMER: All responses will be rather biased.
Reply 3
Original post by knitted-unicorn

I'm a grad applicant and did my undergrad at Newcastle. There was quite a bit of cross-over in terms of teaching staff and facilities with med as my degree is in physiology so if anyone has any questions about the city and the uni then I'll be happy to help out if possible.

Biased towards or against Newcastle? :P

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4

What halls of residence did you stay in? Would you recommend some more than others?:smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
So yeah,

Have you got an offer now then?
Original post by daisyhowes
What halls of residence did you stay in? Would you recommend some more than others?:smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

I stayed at Windsor Terrace and really liked it. It's 15min walk from the med school and about 20min walk to the city centre. I was lucky that I got on with my flatmates though because there isn't a shared common room or anything so it isn't as social as some halls. If you go for this one I wouldn't bother with the en-suite option because the bathrooms are only shared between 3 people so there isn't usually a problem plus the rooms have wash basins in them. Marris House is apparently quite similar and is practically on the door step of the med school and the sports centre - it also attracts quite a lot of international students for some reason.

Castle Leazes and Henderson Hall are the social ones as they're catered (mostly). Leazes is close to uni but requires a walk through a field of cows to get to, whereas Hendo is cow free but requires a bus journey to get to and from uni.

There are others but I don't know enough about them to pass comment other than Victoria Halls is 'the posh one' plus they've built shiny new halls since I was there.

Hope that helps a bit :smile:
Reply 8
I stayed at Windsor Terrace and really liked it. It's 15min walk from the med school and about 20min walk to the city centre. I was lucky that I got on with my flatmates though because there isn't a shared common room or anything so it isn't as social as some halls. If you go for this one I wouldn't bother with the en-suite option because the bathrooms are only shared between 3 people so there isn't usually a problem plus the rooms have wash basins in them. Marris House is apparently quite similar and is practically on the door step of the med school and the sports centre - it also attracts quite a lot of international students for some reason.

Castle Leazes and Henderson Hall are the social ones as they're catered (mostly). Leazes is close to uni but requires a walk through a field of cows to get to, whereas Hendo is cow free but requires a bus journey to get to and from uni.

There are others but I don't know enough about them to pass comment other than Victoria Halls is 'the posh one' plus they've built shiny new halls since I was there.

Hope that helps a bit :smile:

I did some research and is it true that none of the catered accommodations are ensuite?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 9
Original post by Charlston
I did some research and is it true that none of the catered accommodations are ensuite?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I looked at the accommodation on the website and it says that if you have ensuite accommodation then you can choose to be on the catered package and so you pay extra, but you'd still be living in self-catered halls

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 10
Original post by nicolee_
I looked at the accommodation on the website and it says that if you have ensuite accommodation then you can choose to be on the catered package and so you pay extra, but you'd still be living in self-catered halls

Posted from TSR Mobile

That's what has me confused. So basically.. Castle Leazes and Castle Court are together and within them, some are catered but not ensuite and some are ensuite but not catered with the option of buying into the package at extra cost. Do you know what the layout of the catered halls are like? I'm just asking if they're set up like flats or dorms?
Original post by Charlston
That's what has me confused. So basically.. Castle Leazes and Castle Court are together and within them, some are catered but not ensuite and some are ensuite but not catered with the option of buying into the package at extra cost. Do you know what the layout of the catered halls are like? I'm just asking if they're set up like flats or dorms?

Not sure about leazes but Hendo is set out as individual rooms along corridors. Usually about 6 rooms to a corridor with a very small kitchen and bathrooms to share. The kitchen is there because it isn't catered at weekends.
Does anyone know of newcastle accept module resits as my college wants me to do one but I'm worried newcastle will withdraw my offer :/
Reply 13
Original post by bronwyn1995
Does anyone know of newcastle accept module resits as my college wants me to do one but I'm worried newcastle will withdraw my offer :/

Well I would definitely call them up but they shouldn't withdraw - I'm a gap year and resat 4 modules altogether at A level and I have an offer this year :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hey :smile: was wondering if someone's who's at Newcastle could tell me about accommodation.. Are the managed partnership halls (the view, central link, Victoria hall, turner court) as sociable/fun as the university ones??
I want somewhere close to city centre preferably with an en suite but also good atmosphere and going out!! Any suggestions? Thanks!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by lecamel
Well I would definitely call them up but they shouldn't withdraw - I'm a gap year and resat 4 modules altogether at A level and I have an offer this year :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Reply 16
Just firmed now on UCAS, so excited only offer I got, rejected everywhere else!! And newcastle was my first choice by miles!
Original post by goony
Just firmed now on UCAS, so excited only offer I got, rejected everywhere else!! And newcastle was my first choice by miles!

Congrats!!
If you don't mind where else did you apply and how did you find the interview? :smile:
Reply 18
Congrats!!
If you don't mind where else did you apply and how did you find the interview? :smile:

Applied to Hull York, Sheffield Newcastle and Durham

UKCAT: 797.5

Rejected from HYMS post interview, rejected from sheffield because PS wasn't up to scratch and withdrew from durham as newcastle trumped it and I bombed their interview.

Interview was fine (don't wan't to say great) they were really nice!! Answered questions fine in my view, didn't get any ethical questions and my extended project was so useful!! Where else did you apply if you don't mind?
Reply 19
As any one got a confirmation email or something from Newcastle uni/med school since their offer?

Quick Reply

Latest